What to do about a biting cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

What to do about a biting cat

I have a cat who is 10 months old. He is usually pretty good, but on occasion he bites - and bites HARD. He will grab onto my hand or arm, and if I try and get him off, he will dig in even deeper. I want to discipline him properly, and do not want to encourage negative behavior. Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

it may not be negative behavior it could be that he is losing his baby teeth and his adult ones are coming in and he wants something to chew on. I know my Button did that a lot. So check to see if he you notice any teeth missing or growing in. Button had her k9 teeth growing in before her baby ones fell out.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 04:38 PM

Smile Kitty trouble

Hi
My cat used bite, we talked to the vet and they said to just say in a loud voice 'NO' and just train them into knowing the 'NO' is punishing. If that doesent work have a spray bottle close and just 'spray' them Once.

I hope it all goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 09:36 PM

If anyone finds anything that works let me know. Milo...the evil one....bites me really hard sometimes and he is about 5 now. I have a scratch on my forehead right now because he grabbed my head and bit it because I was using the mouse of the computer and he didn't want my hand moving so he grabbed me by the head and bit. I screamed at him NO and he still kept trying to get me. I had to throw him to the floor.

Oh and he doesn't even flinch when you spray him with water
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I say no to my cat as well and sometimes he jsut digs even deeper. I really hope it is something he will grow out of, he is 11 months old now. He's also getting into the habit of clawing at my curtains even though I keep yelling no at him to get down! I will keep trying though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Milo just clawed me up good and gouged me with his teeth today. OUCH! I yelled, tried to pull at his scruff (I was holding him at the time and didn't pull hard, just put pressure to try to get him to release), smacked him lightly, pushed his head towards my hand (works with people thought it might work with him)

Yeah nothing worked until I threw him down to the floor (was carrying him inside because he ran out) I was on the phone with the vet at the time and all they could hear was him hissing. LOL I really hate that cat
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah my bro in law's cat is a huge jerk and bites and claws, i just give him a little thump it spooks him, i guess he doesn't realise i can hurt him back (not that i would, but i have to show him IM boss)

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone know if this is something a cat may grow out of? My cat isn't even a year old yet, so technically he is still a kitten...Is there hope?!