What do I do !?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation What do I do !?!

OK.. this is seriously bad. I found this family of cat and some kittens just now. I just went to the corner shop to get some soup and I heard these noises. I went over to where a huge black bag was and there inside was a cat and like 4 kittens. I am really stuck on what to do. I know how to look after cats as I have two before and I have also got the room and the commitment. But the only problem is I dont know about their history, nothing. For all I know these kittens could have a discease or something awful. The mother cat is thin a scruffy. I really want to help them but I am just thinking whether it could be better for them to go in to a centre and then let them be cleaned up and everything and move on TOTALLY. At the moment for the time being whilst I decide they are in my front room sipping milk and eating tuna fish ( all I had!)
I really am worried and need advice.
Please Help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I would take them to a shelter or something hun. The mum may well be a stray if she is thin and scruffy. The shelter will look after her and rehome her kittens and hopefully her after they have had her spayed etc i think it would be best all round xx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Its really up to you what you want to do, if you have time space and money you could take them to a vet and do everything yourself and try and find homes for the babies when its time

or

take them to a shelter and say you will foster them until they are up for adoption and keep what you want (i would end up with at least one)

or

Take them to a shelter and leave them all

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Hello Earthling

Get them checked out and cleaned up at the vet or bring them to the shelter

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

You found them in a bag, was it tied, were they thrown away?

They will all need to see a vet...I would go through a shelter and if I wanted to take care of them foster them, or if I knew I couldn't I would leave them there for them to get the care they need, they will all probably need worm meds, they will need their shots...if they were in that bag you never know how long and its kind of common in animals abandoned like that to have upper respitory problems...those poor sweet babies and the poor mommy...my heart goes out to them, please keep us updated...I will keep the kitty family in my thoughts and prayers

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 02:41 AM
Jird Jostler

Awww, thats awfull.

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Phone your local Cats Protection. They will at least be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.cats.org.uk/contact/findcp.asp

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys for all your help.. after much thought I have decided to take them to the shelter to get some help and they are going to stay there for a bit then I am going to foster them to see what its like.. then if I think that I am prepared... I will take the home full time! To your questions Happy Dancer, the bag was tied a little bit and it was easy to open. They were just plonked ( I would say ) in one of those bins, it stunk. But at the moment I have got them in my living room by the fire. I have given the mum a bath and the kittens a little wipe down sort of thing and now tommorrow I am going to take them to the shelter.
Thanks again and I will keep you updated on any news
xxx
Ailish
PS: I have named the mother Bonnie. I think it suits her but I havent had a chance to really name the kittens yet. ( I think its a big chance that I will be giving this family a new life at my place )
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

OK people I have an update for you...

I had the Mom fixed up so no more babies on the way she didn't have anything wrong with her just fleas so teh Vet gave me some anti-biotis for them. I got the Kittens their shots and they are doing well. The vet predicted their age to be around 6-7 weeks old and the Mom to be about 4 years so she is at an OK age.

I have got some names for the kittens.

The two black ones - Velvet, Shadow
The mixed colour one - Bangle
The grey one - Sparky
The two ginger ones - Bob and Wendy ( from bob the builder. )

Sorry if I bore you with the long stories ..

I named The two black ones Velvet and Shadow as they are black, the mixed colour one bangles as I have this bangle carrier thing and she always seems to be inerested in them. I named the grey one Sparky as I just love the name, and finally the two ginger ones Bob and Wendy as when my neice and nephew came round I asked them two pick the two ginger ones names and they picked Bob and Wendy ( my nephew is 3 and my neice is 7 )

Anway enjoy reading and I will catch up soon with you guys...

Bye xxxxx

Last edited by WildHammyHopper; 01-31-2009 at 05:46 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Jird Jostler

Aww. glad to hear they're ok.. And great names

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
x
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 02:30 PM
can't think of one, help

BTW since no one did this, thank you for rescuing them. A lot of people would've just let them be And p.s. might we have pictures????????????

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I am really sorry guys but I can't upload pictures for some reason
I am really happy that I did rescue them as I saw this old woman and she was looking at the bag but then just trotted off I guess I did the right thing
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Seeker of Orbs

thats great. i just took one in too. good for you.

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Playful Pup

That's a sweet story i recently rescued a kitten as well, turned out the little guy(Mr.Whiskers) has a hernia and it'll cost $100 to fix, not to mention 195 to get him nutered and declawed, that was the deal i made with my dad to keep him haha. But I'm glad there are other people out there to take insome strays.... Ive taken in alot and they are expensive, but you know All of my strays have been alot better than the shelter cats I've gotten.. So thanks for saving those kittens They deserve a better life than being shelter cats... Its sad because down where i live, if you take a cat/kitten to the shelter they euthanize it because they can't hold anymore animals. Ive had to take several to the shelter becausr i don't have time for anymore animals. my zoo's big enough lol. but congrats on your new babies and i hope all goes well for the little ones and you

My Zoo!

2 Dogs- Pepper The loving Lab (rescued)
- Princess the mixed up mutt. (Rescued
)
1 Rat- Wrinkles the sound senior (pet Shop)-
5 Chickens- Red (rhode island red)Scrappy (Barred Rock)
Flutterbugs (americano)
Spooks (Rosecomb Chicken)
Honey (Old English)

2 cats - Whiskers The Wild Tabby-(baby rescued)
Tabby the ticking Tabby (kitten rescued)

2 Fish- Oscar the over grown Oscar- Kirby the kicking percostimas
( ALL ARE PET SHOP RESCUES)

R.I.P -Velvet the romping Russian Blue (Stray Rescue) We had to have her euthanized 1/27/09
We miss you dearly Miss.Velvetine.:
angel:[/COLOR]

Tags
bag, cat, kittens