What food do you use? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

What food do you use?

What food do you use and reccomend? Currently we feed a mix of Eukanuba, Iams, and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul depending on which cat. We also feed daily canned food, usually Natures Recipe, Eukanuba, and Whiskas (I bought a couple cans of Innova today while out shopping for g.p. food. It's supposed to be good stuff, really expensive, it was like $16.99 for 8 lbs of dry food). We have a LOT of cats, the food bill comes to about $150 - $200 a month for food. I know Iams and Eukanuba aren't nessecarily great foods, and the cats just seem to eat tons of it (none of them are fat, except one, they just eat a lot). So I am wondering if they eat so much because the food isn't the greatest? Are there any supplements you can make for cats? Like with dogs, I feed a mix of this supplement I stuff I make with real meat and veggies etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 09:04 AM

I used to use Nutro Natural Choice for cats, regular and weight management. I switced about a year ago to Wellness regular and light mix for my fatty. My fat cat finally started to lose weight on the Wellness. They get fed on a scheduled feeding and 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup at night. I do not free feed my cats or dogs. I also do not use any wet food. Sometimes for treats I will give them some of the crunchy Nutro treats that are relatively new and now I have Greenies for cats. I just found Greenie cat treats in the stores last week. My cats would eat until they exploded if I left the food out for them all the time. I think most cats would, thats why there are so many overweight cats.

Just to clarify the each get 1/4 cup of food not 1/4 for all of them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I feed my cat Royal Canin Indoor (it helps keep toilet odours down)...I feed this cause in Aus we are limited to decent dog and cat food and this is what I am comfortable feeding him. If I wasn't comfortable with the ingredients I would've put him on a BARF diet. He gets fed a small handful of food in the morning and two handfuls of food of a night time...dry only! I do give substitute his food with mince, chicken, and sometimes tuna/salmon to make his food last longer and give him a bit of variety. He loves the Royal Canin and so far we've had no problems with it. It probably doesn't sound like he gets fed much but he never asks for food and some mornings we don't even have to give him any food cause he has left over from the night before...he isn't a huge eater but he is a good weight.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

When I had a kitty she was fed California Natural and did quite well on it . I was also pleased with the ingredients.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 11:30 PM

I feed Royal Canin Indoor Light for my cats.

Your cats are probably eating more because Iams and Eukanuba contain corn in the list of ingredients. Fillers like corn and wheat just pass through the system, not filling them up like they should be. The more that passes through the system, the more they'll eat. Does that make sense?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

That totally makes sense Crazy Chin Lady. I am going to see about switching to a couple different dry foods. I went to feed the Innova formula this morning (supposed to be this evolutionary diet lol) and the cats wouldn't touch it. I guess they prefer the cheap junky food stuff lol. Darn cats I'll try again tomorrow lol.
With so many cats it would be a very hard task attempting to feed at selected time only.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 12:27 AM

My cat was on nutro natural and before that Nutro Max cat, he did great. I could definately tell a decrease in the amount he ate and that came out the back end the higher the quality of food I got. I've recently switched him to Royal Canin Persian because he was having problems with the size of the food pellet. He is doing even better and as long as I can afford it I will keep him on this. It is expesive though, and since you are looking for a cheaper option look at Nutro Natural. They have lots of flavors that my cat just loves.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I feed my cats James Wellbeloved in Duck and Rice and Turkey and Rice.

This food has worked WONDERS on my cat, Galina, who kept getting wart-like bumps on her head that would not go away. Three weeks after putting her on this food as a last resort (all the hypoallergenic foods from the vet did no good), the warts disappeared completely and have not come back (I've been feeding this food to her for over a year now). And, 4 months after being on this food, the smell of their poo was reduced dramatically.

It's one of the best foods I have gotten for my girls in Finland and I'm very happy with it. However, I don't think it's available in the States.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

Tags
barf diet, canned food, cat food, chicken soup, dry food, nutro natural choice, royal canin, wet food