what is my cat doing?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

what is my cat doing??

my cat's about 10 years old. in the last 3 or 4 months he's been acting strange in the morning. he started out pacing back and forth at the foot of the bed making short little meow/puring sounds but he's not accually purring. later on he started kneading his front paws in the blanket. while he's kneading his front paws he's tensing up and shaking his rear end. i've seen cats that spray to mark an object, that's what it looks like he's doing but he's not spraying. in the last few weeks i'll wake up to him straddling my leg and kneading his front and back feet. he usually will bite the blanket if i move my leg. if i get my leg out from under him he'll follow me and continue. he's not humping me is he?? he's neutered. he's usually receptive if i pet him so i don't think he's upset. it's only in the morning. i took a video of him doing this, i may put it on youtube if someone doesn't come up with an answer and say "this is exactly why he's doing it!".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM
It's all for them

lets see the video!

How long has it been since he had a check up? At ten years old he should have a senior check up..complete blood work (including thyroid) and urinalysis included.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Well the part where it looks like he's spraying, I've also seen cats do when they're nervous. A whole lot of research went into cats spray-mark, and it's generally caused by nervousness. And neutering doesn't automatically solve all problems - some males still spray-mark, even after they've been neutered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
And neutering doesn't automatically solve all problems - some males still spray-mark, even after they've been neutered.
Agree. And some males will also hump even if neutered, especially if they were neutered too early.

PawsTalk Animal Communication & Reiki

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Animal Communication Practice Forum
.....(Free student animal communications for your pets)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

ours spray marks everything, except he doesn't spray. He walks up to something turns around shakes his tail all funny but doesn't spray. maybe he thinks he does i donno.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

alright, he's humping. he's humping my leg. every morning he wakes me up between 6 and 7am. he's 10 years old and he's never acted like this before. it was funny for a short while now it's just anoying and disturbing. he's like a boomerang, i toss him off the bed and he immediately jumps back up and goes at it again. how can i make him stop or atleast direct that energy towards our female cat?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Newborn Pup

Yep, by ex-boyfriend's cat did the same thing, he was an older cat and neutered...he'd especially do it when he found the blakets heaped up in an "attractive" shape.

We used to make fun of him, we'd say things like, "Nick, what could you possibly hope to accomplish?!" and I kid you not, he'd look right back at us and utter a nasty "Meow," as if to say, "You shut up!"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

lol mid life crisis
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

lol yea, it actually could be a mid life crisis, hormones changing as he ages.

Our cat humps (always has) blankets or pillows with long fur. But never another cat.

[/CENTER]