When it Rains it Pours! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Unhappy When it Rains it Pours!

Ok Guys,
You all must be totally sick and tired of my ongoing sagas.... but here I am, new posting to this section with a sad story

I hope this doesn't post in teenie tiny font again - it's impossible to read! I am still not sure how to do the settings thingie...

A little background:
I'm pretty new here and have been posting in the dog section but I also have three cats. Abby, Sammie and Paulie Walnuts (don't ask- lol).

Abby is about 9 years old and the matriarch of the house. Even Jack the huge Golden Retriever rolls over for her. She's my only cat that goes outside- and not because I ever wanted her to- I could never keep her in. She learned to sneak out at a really young age by any means- even ripping through the screens.

She's a tiny thing- but really tough. I have a 2 acre yard which is her domain and she mainly sticks to the property and our deck. I always make sure she comes in at night- sometimes staying up really late waiting for her.

We have this *thing* in our house..."Where's Abby?" Someone will think of her and call her name (which she comes to) and if she doesn't respond, we search the bedrooms - then call outside for her. Well last night my daughter went looking for her and found her laying on my son's bed. All good so far....

She was purring and rubbing my daughter as usual. My daughter was petting her, picked her up to bring Abby into her room and noticed that she was seriously wounded.

From the base of her tail to the top of her thigh - a full thickness chunk of skin was gone. There was no bleeding- just a very large deep wound. It looked rather fresh as if it hadn't been long since it happened.

She ran the cat into my room where I was watching television- yelling that something horrid was wrong with Abby. We ran downstairs (well I hobbled- lol) to get my husband. I called the emergency vet clinic nearest to my house - we put Abby in her crate and off he ran to the clinic.

She had to stay overnight because to repair the wound required anesthesia - about thirty sutures and two drains protruding from the incision. She was given two injections of Baytril (not sure that I like what I have read regarding this antibiotic - at all!).... and this morning was sent home with a bottle of Baytril suspension to be taken for ten days.

I called my regular vet- who is on vacation - and talked to one of his techs. I really don't like the way the emergency clinic handled this! No one has any way of knowing if this was a bite or she got caught on something... yet - she was not given a rabies booster or a tetanus shot.

I am going to call my vet's office again in the morning and explain to them that we *don't* know what happened and she was not given these boosters.

This poor cat is laying on my bed wearing an e-collar... very lethargic (which I know could be from a general anesthesia hangover)... I just feel terrible for her. The wound is just awful.
When I administered her evening dose of Baytril suspension she gagged on it and saliva ran from her mouth - it was gross.

Anyway - that's my story - I'm sorry it was so long winded- I am so fried! It's like those old sayings... feast or famine - all or nothing - when it rains it pours! Holy cow--- what next?

Please keep Abby in your thoughts and prayers - thanks you guys...
Deja

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

We had a cat that was extremely accident prone. The weirdest of accidents is when he came home FULL of porcupine quills. It seemed he was always on some sort of antibiotic. He always drooled and foamed at the mouth when he had to take his medicine. At first we thought he was having an allergic reaction but it turns out he just HATED the stuff. We could just hold up the bottle and eye dropper and he'd start drooling.

I would definitely get a second opinion on all of this. I think your cat really needs a tetanus shot (at the very least!)

Good luck! I hope everything works out!

Rhonda

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 11:40 PM

hopefully abby will get better, and keep on that vet. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:29 AM

I agree with dragonmaster, I hope abby get's better and yes stay on that vet, oh a little tip for you, to get the font, color ect to work at the end of your writing don't forget to put [/font] or whatever one you use, that ends it for you Best of wishes
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 01:17 AM

Geeze, it's always something isn't it? Poor Abby, I hope she heals quickly! They say bad things come in threes, maybe between the dogs tearing up the house, you getting hurt and Abby you're done for a while!

I fixed your font, size and color for you btw, you almost had it, you've just gotta remember to put [/font] or size or color.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 01:23 AM

I am sorry to hear about your kitty. If she is up to date on her vaccines (rabies and distemper) she should be fine. If she was in a fight with another cat then you may want to have her checked for Feline Aids and Luekemia (sp?)

On a side note you may want to check your browser settings, this is something I somehow do all the time, at the top of the browser where the menu is (File Edit View Favorites and so on ......) Click on VIEW and there should be a option for text size and it will say Largest Larger Large Medium Small well you get the idea. Click on the one that corrects the font size. I double checked and it works on the font within the posts. Hope this helps, and again good luck with you kitty.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 03:14 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yikes, that poor baby!! She'll be in my thoughts for sure!

On another note, I work in an ER vet clinic and we don't keep any of the rabies/tetanus shots. Though we will usually recommend a booster, if the cat isn't up to date, through their family veterinarian. Rabies is so rare anymore, we just don't have a need.

BTW: The Baytril is REALLY bitter, which is why she had that reaction. It's generally a good antibiotic, as it's broad spectrum and can help ward off infection well. The dangers lie in young animals or large doses.

I agree with Dena on the FIV and Feline Leukemia though - hopefully she was vaccinated and those hold up but they're extremely contagious.

Hang in there! And Feel free to vent any time, newbie or not!!

Stephanie

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thank you so much everyone! Becki- I was wondering how my post got fixed! Thanks!
Scarlette- porcupine! OUCH!! That poor kitty!
Abby is *due* for her booster shots and has been vaccinated for FIV and Feline Leukemia. Jade - you made me feel so much better - thank you! From the reading I did I thought it would be standard protocol to automatically give the tetanus and rabies boosters in cases like this. We just have no way of knowing for sure what tore her up- an animal? Or did she get stuck on something? We'll never know.
First thing in the morning I am calling my regular vet back and bringing her in to be checked. He is on vacation this week but there has to be a covering vet that can see her. I want her caught up on all her vaccinations ASAP! Also - I want the sutures and drains checked... when I called my vet today to tell them what happened and ask a few questions, the tech that I spoke with made it clear that this emergency clinic was low on their list of recommendations

What gets me frosted is how they handle the pricing...
They asked for $400.00 up front. They then handed my husband a printed estimate - for over $800.00!! We were floored. When he picked Abby up this morning the total was close to $600.00! What do they do? Shock you with the huge one to soften the blow of the actual humongous cost? Holy cow! It's rice and beans for this house for the next two weeks! I know you can't place a price tag on your pet - but holy cow!

I have Abby isolated in my bedroom. I made her a cozy place at the foot of my bed on a soft lamby pad with her favorite blanket. I set up a fresh, clean litter box for her and set down a bowl of water. I gave her some people tuna in the pouch (her all time favorite treat) and she gobbled it up. She still won't drink water and has only urinated once since this morning when we got her home and that worries me.
I took the e-collar off while she ate and let her clean her front paws and face. I set her in the litter box and she squatted as if she were trying to poop, but I think she was in too much pain - so she didn't.
Also - I will expect the drooling and foaming from the Baytril - ICK- poor kitty. Maybe it would be easier to pill her? Does it come in pill form or am I stuck with the suspension?

Arrgh- I am going to be up all night worrying and keeping my eye on this poor baby. Ack - I already am! This poor kitty is just absolutely miserable in that e-collar....

Thank you so much you guys for being out there- you have no idea how much it means to me- just knowing you are there... thank you for letting me blather on and rant and vent!! You guys are the best.

Deja and Abby

[center]

[
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Make sure you tell your vet that she isn't drinking, they can probably give her some subcu fluids to help get her through.

Baytril DOES come in a pill form, but it may be too big of a dose for her. I can't remember off the top of my head and don't go into work until tonight so I guess I'd ask when you go in as well.

Hang in there hon! Just give her all the love you can and keep your head on straight!

Stephanie

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks again Jade! Abby seems to be doing *much* better today. She is urinating so she has to be drinking. The wound looks much better- it's gross, but it seems to be calming down. There is some drainage seeping from around one of the drains. I know this is OK because I have seen drains behave the same way on people too. The drainage is perfectly normal in color and appearance.
I called my regular vet this morning and explained all my worries and concerns. They seem to believe that she will be fine until Monday when the Dr. sees her to remove the drains. They said that given her age - and the fact that she's always been kept current on her vaccinations in the past - she should have enough carry-over immunity and that keeping her quiet and on the antibiotic untill she is seen is OK. They will catch her up on all her shots then.
Maybe they think that transporting her back and forth unnecessarily might stress her out too much? In any regard - they said that waiting until Monday wasn't going to do her any harm.
I'm taking the e-collar off when she eats and I'm letting her clean herself (except for the wound area). She seems happier. As soon as she starts to go for the sutures or drains I pop the collar back on and she settles down on the bed and goes back to sleep.

Ugh- what a nightmare. Everything is much calmer today - I'm giving her all the lovies I can - she's telling me stories in her cute little quiet mew-talking- lol! I just wish she could tell me what really happened to her!
I do keep telling her that she can't be an outside cat anymore because my nerves can't take it - and she is too old - lol!

As long as I know that the drooling and foaming is normal with that Baytril we can deal with it- I know it is easier to accurately dose them with the suspension.

Deja

[center]

[
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 07:50 PM

Your poor baby, I wikll keep her in my thoughts for sure!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 10:39 PM

Hugs to you and Abby. I will keep good thoughts for a speedy recovery. Pill form Baytril may be harder to give unless Abby will take pills easily.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 08:27 AM

How is Abby doing? I hope everything's fine with her.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Schape,
Thank you for asking She's doing great! She's gained some weight (which is really good).... her incision is completely healed and she's all fuzzy where she was shaved.
It's starting to sink in that she's not allowed outside anymore.... she sits and pines to get out - but isn't trying to slink out when someone opens the door!
I can't explain why - but she's sooo affectionate with me lately too... maybe she's thanking me for helping her?
You can see some pictures of her (kind of gross though) in a thread I started called Update on Abby (or something like that

[center]

[
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 09:35 PM

Oh Deja I am so glad to hear Abby is doing better. And not trying to sneak out of the house when the door is opened is pretty impressive too. Glad she is "rewarding" mommy with luvies for taking good care of her. Give her a nice chin rubz from me.

Tags
canned food, emergency vet, golden retriever, litter box, poor kitty, regular vet, vet clinic