When should I get my kitten neutered? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 05:45 PM
crzyboutdogs

When should I get my kitten neutered?

I was just kinda curious when I should get Mittenboy neutered? He is now 3 months old

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 11:41 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I think before 5-6 months because they will start spraying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 11:57 AM

In the state of NJ the animals must have a Rabies vaccination and be licensed first (both dogs and cats) Dogs they will do at 5 or 6 months and cats I am not sure yet but seeing as I am going to the vet tomorrow with all 3 of them I will let you know as soon as I get back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 07:41 PM
crzyboutdogs

Ok thank you both very much! You are probably right my friend said when she got her cat spayed around Jan. they gave the Rabies vaccination when they spayed her cat. She said they required for you to have it done. Well I guess in about 3 more months Mittenboy will be making his trip to the vet to get neutered.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:45 PM

You might want to call your vet and find out the earliest they will neuter. In NJ cats are 3 months! He may be able to get done now and will prevent spraying before it starts. I almost forgot to get back to you on that one -oopsie!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 01:45 AM
Princess in Waiting

Although a kitten from a humane society will usually be neutered when you bring it home, I've never worked anywhere that wanted to do them before 6 months. My personal opinion is that they need some of the hormones they are developing to help them grow, etc., so they shouldn't be yanked out too soon!

I just had my puppy done at 7 months, hoping that she wouldn't go into heat before I got her in. It is routine surgery for puppies and kittens, but remember that there is a risk any time a surgical procedure is performed. If you want to have her declawed this would be a good time to do that,too - even though most places I worked would declaw them at 9 weeks. Better not to have them put under anesthesia any more than absolutely necessary.

Good luck! You'll have a better pet and be a better pet owner for it!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 02:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
If you want to have her declawed this would be a good time to do that,too - even though most places I worked would declaw them at 9 weeks.
Oh dear. Please do some research before you decide to do this. I personally think it's cruel and completely unnecessary.

Stephanie

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:41 PM
Princess in Waiting

Contrary to popular belief concerning neutering (in a female animal) it is NOT best to wait until they come into heat one time to spay them. Each heat cycle increases the chances of cancer in the reproductive system. And, of course, getting rid of their "boy parts" gets rid of that risk and reduces the desire in a male to spray and mark his territory.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 10:33 AM
mrswolfsong

You should wait till he's 6mo of age to have him neutered. At the vet clinic I work for we won't do a neuter or spay befor 6mo. As Crittercall said , they get some of their hormones from there reproductive organs. Besides Males are not the only ones who will spray, Females do it also. And even if the male is neutered they can start sraying at anytime. But the older they are the more it is likely, especially in a multiple cat house.

As far as declawing, if you decide you want that done, do it anywhere between 12weeks and 6 mo. It's easier on kittens then waiting until the kitty has become a cat of a year or so. An older kitty tends to bleed more and be more tender footed afterwards.

Tags
heat cycle, humane society, pet owner, vet clinic