When to take a cat to the vet? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy When to take a cat to the vet?

I'm really worried about my cat. She's only 2 years old, we think she is a russian blue, she arrived on the doorstep one day and claimed us as her owners. She is an indoor cat though we occasionaly take her out into the yard on a harness as she is clever and learned how to jump the 7 foot fence. Yesterday she was outside for a short time with us. I apologize in advance for the amount of details, I just want to cover all the bases.

This evening she had an unnormally stinky poop, but it was a solid consistency, and then came to cuddle. She looked under the weather. About an hour later she threw up her cat food and there was a piece of grass in it also, but nothing else. Then an hour later, she gagged and threw up a little bit of saliva with a small amount of food in it also. She's never been sick before is usually very energetic and playful. She has never coughed up a hairball before so it is abnormal for her.

All night she has been rather lethargic, moving from spot to spot to crouch down and just sit. She just doesn't look well.

I am very worried and concerned. When should I take her to a vet? Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If this continues for more than 24 hours I would take her to a vet. Sometimes its just something they ate, and it will pass in a while. But if she is still puking in the morning, I would call the vets office and ask them what they think. Sometimes they can tell just by what the cat is puking up if it is really sick or just ate something a little wrong.

Just make sure she has plenty of water, and you could also cut out her food for about 8 hours and then see what happens when you feed her a little. But if she's looking bad, I would at least call and see what the vet has to say.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She hardley ever drinks water but I tried to get her to have a little after she was sick with no luck. We give her wet food, that has a lot of liquid - so I cleaned her food bowl out and put a little in it incase she wanted it which I figured is better than her being dehydrated. Other than a few blades of grass she hasn't had anything different in her diet. I've been house sitting for a neighbour that has 2 dogs, a cat and a bird, and I'm praying that didn't cause this sudden sickness she seems to have. As soon as I get back from feeding them I'm careful to wash my hands..

Thanks for the advice, like a new-mother I'll prob be up watching her half the night, and if she is sick again will call the vet in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, usually when pets eat grass it is because their tummy feels upset. If pets eat enough, it acts as a natural puking stimulant. I would actually try and feed her a handful of food, really not much at all, and see if she perks up or if she pukes it up. Be sure to keep her in the bathroom when trying this, for an easy puke clean-up! How long ago did she last puke?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

It's been about an hour since the last time. She watched me when I put some food in her clean bowl and wasn' t very interested but I will see if she will have a little. I just feel so bad for her, she's on her kitty bed now with a sad face on....poor thing. Should I try to give her a little wet food or dry food?

And being such a suck for my cat - I prob won't even move her to the bathroom, she looks pretty comfy, and I already cleaned two spots on the carpet one more won't be the end of the world

Last edited by Smokeys Mom; 07-07-2010 at 02:19 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:21 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'd just let her sleep then. Then in the morning, feed her her normal food, whatever that is. And then see how she is with it.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She was half awake but is fast asleep now so **fingers crossed** she will be feeling better in the morning, if not, we'll be taking a trip to the vet. This is the first time I've seen her like this so your replies really calmed my nerves - Thank-you!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Haha sure, my cat just went through a bout of puking the other week, and considering we got her only a month ago, I was pretty scared too! But it passed pretty quick, I was ready to take her to the vet anytime but it was over the weekend, so we just waited it out and she was better within 24 hours, but I think it was more like 48 since we had been gone for a day when she got sick.

It is pretty scary to see a pet like that! Especially when you don't know what is going on, or what they ate...My kitty was doing a thing where she would eat and then literally 2 minutes later puke it all up again. It was so sad!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Awww poor thing! That would be scary. We live in the worst location right now for vets - unless its between 9 and 4 Mon-Fri, it's an hour away. We'll be moving 4hrs away soon and since her 1st experience in the car was to get spayed, I've been taking her on short drives to see if she'll make it the 4hrs w/o any kind of medicine from the vet. The first few she was very vocal and quite unhappy - but since has learned the car isnt just a commute to the vet she actually seems to enjoy it. I really hope that she is doing better in the am or else she'll likely hate being in the car again.

I wonder if our animals have any idea the amount of stress and concern we have for them or if they just wonder why we're all up in their face LOL
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hahaha they must, or else they wouldn't give those puppy-dog eyes every once in a while...

How is your cat today?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Cats normally eat grass to help with digestion - not just when they're sick. A hunched posture, lethargy, refusing food, and general malaise sounds like kidney disease. In that case she needs to be given anything that she'll eat; but a diet complete in canned food is generally recommended.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She slept through the night and was acting more like herself this morning. Last night I put a crunchy kitty treat in her wet food dish and left a few by her bed. She ate the ones by her bed and even the one out of her dish, but no food. I'm thinking perhaps since she was sick maybe she just doesn't want that flavour anymore so will go to the store and get her another variety today. She is no longer hunching over, and although her energy isn't it to it's usual speed, she is much better than she was. She is wide-eyed and alert, and was talking this morning like she usually does in the am. She seems like she will be allright but I'm sure we'll know more after we get some food and see how she does with that. She's had a few crunchy treats today and has had no problem keeping them down *phew*
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thats good. Just remember, when you switch foods so abruptly and without any mixture with the old foods, animals usually have diahrea, as their stomach isn't adjusted to the new food. I would just wait it out, she'll eat her normal food soon enough. You don't want to over-upset her stomach.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I wasn't going to change her brand, she's pretty partial to the canned Friskies wet food - just a different flavour. We usually by her mixed packs and switch out the flavours every few days. Should we just stick to one flavour? I had no idea that could be bad for her...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Betta Bomb

I thought someone told me switching cat food was good! I thought it had something to do with them needing variation in their diet (like any animal I suppose) but to keep changing the flavors of the same brand of food? Im not totally sure, I know Illusion and Mama get different food almost all the time bc my mom buys whats cheapest -_- according to her budget. I dont have any problems with them other than Illusions hairballs occasionally.

Tags
cat, vet