Why is it? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Why is it?

Why is it that some adoption or rescue groups insist that you adopt two cats at the same time. So if I only feel ready for one I need to find another place to get one or adopt a kitten? The very ones that I can't have because you need to adopt both then just sit in a cage waiting much longer for the right people to come and that could be months as I have witnessed. I don't know I just would like to be able to make that desicion on my own and not be forced into it. I do understand soem of the resioning but it almost then turns into no go away type of a situation.

Another thing that bothers me is one woman was not going to adopt a cat to us because we are in the military. Her words" we usually do not adopt out to military families". Anyway I had had some thoughts and thought it would be a good discussion point.

stickybuns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 05:16 PM

I understand about adopting two cats together because some cats just have a strong bond to each other and are usually more fearful or resistant to bonding with humans if they are separated. Most of the time it will not work if pets are separated. I know I regret not getting one of cat's litter mates so they would be related and already knew each other from the start. Instead I had to struggle to get a new cat settled in with him. It turned out fine at the end but he was alone for most of the time (another animal wise) and I really regret that. I think they need to be with someone from their own species if they are capable of getting along with another cat.
I don't understand the military thing but I think they think that military families are not stable although most families aren't stable eitherway so I don't think they should do that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 05:42 PM

I can understand if the two cats are kept in the same cage that they might want to adopt them together. Of course they will be bonded because cats are colony animals and they do like to have others around whether it be cats or humans. Some cats do become bonded to each other but it isn't as common as you might think. They easily adapt and I agree it would be better for one to go home then for both of them to just sit there and wait for a home that will take them at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Wow

Well since this thread I have done a lot of thinking. We had a bad experiance once dealing with a animal rescue, however we took the plunge again and tried a shelter near our house. This shelter is 4years old and very nice. They took all thier cats out of cages and put them in rooms set up with scratching post beds, litter pans and a lot of toys. Each "display" had about 3-4 cats in it. The workers said they did this becase they found it increased the happieness and health of the cats. I relized that with the right cat we Could afford to take two so naturally we piced two that were in the same "display" both had been at the shelter for 4-5 months one was a stray and the other a surrender. So a happy ending was ours healed by two great cats and very nice staff at our local animal shelter.

Enjoy life and be happy, Stickybuns
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:37 PM

That's wonderful that you found a great place and two great new family additions.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Congrats on the two new additions!

I couldunderstand how some cats could not be separated because of a strong bond but as was mentioned, more often than not the cat adapts. Especially if they are younger and haven't been together very long. As for the military family perhaps htey are worried about the stress of moving? I can't really put my finger on it, I would think if you can proved a good home they would be happy to allow you to have one of their kitties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.

Tags
animal rescue, animal shelter, litter mates, litter pan, local animal shelter