why can't she be better> - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Unhappy why can't she be better>

Maybe I am being paranoid. I know I can't expect a miracle overnight. Maggie has been on Clavamox for 5 days now & she is still really congested.

eating & drinking have deffinately improved (although I thought she was fine before) she is still playing & being her normal self. I am just worried about this congestion. She sounds so rattly & can't breathe hardly at all through her nose. When she was at the vet on Monday they said her lungs, heart & breathing were all excellent.

Is there something I can do to help speed up her congestion problem? Steam from a hot sink? Vicks vapor rup on her nose? a cough drop (j/k) It really only seems to be her nose that is causeing the most trouble although she still is caughing & sneezing a bit.

Any advice I want my baby to get better so I can stop worrying!
(I keep thinking she is going to develop pnuemonia & die)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 09:49 PM

I'm so sorry Kay. I know what its like to feel like they aren't getting better (Sneakers still isn't completely well after 3 ER visits and lots of meds). I wish I had some advice to offer but I don't. I can send you hugs, thoughts, and prayers though. I hope she gets well soon!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

thanks steph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Steam up the bathroom really well and sit with her in there, it can help break up the congestion. Definitely call your vet back and let them know she's still really congested - she should be showing improvement by now. You can try to listen to her chest by putting one side of her ribs up to your ear, it should sound rattly if it's in the lungs.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Jade I don't hear anything in her lungs they sound clear but she deffinatly seems to be having more fluid in her nose than before. I think I am going to call them back first thing in the morning... as far as congestion goes she almost seems worse than when I took her in on Monday. Could in be something other than a URI I wonder?

Good thing I enrolled her in an insurance wellness plan!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It may be as simple as a virus or bacteria that isn't responsive to the Clavamox. There really isn't anything you can do for a virus except let it run it's course, like humans. Don't be surprised if they want to try a new antibiotic, and try not to worry.

Stephanie

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 03:56 AM

My ferret are sneezing as crazy here...I called the vet and asked for her advice. She said that a cold(sounds like that's your cat's problem)and it took 14 days before the virus left their body. It is not unusual for them to have a nose that is overfloaded

You shouldn't worry, even though I know it's hard not too...But keep your Maggie warm( no draugh), keep her inside, make sure she eats and drink (especially fluid...Catmilk could be an idea)and let her rest as much as possible...Don't play alot with her, she must save her strenght and just rest out.

Remember...5 days isn't much....14 days is normal for a animal too get well...

Wish her our best :hpydance:
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Desire I think I am still gonna call her vet to be on the safe side just in case she needs a different medicine.

I will let you guys know when I find out what the vet says.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

just a quick update to let you know she is going in at 2:30 this afternoon.

She didn't eat her food last night cause everytime she starts eating she starts caughing. I gave her just canned food this morning instead of her cann & kibble mixture. She ate a little bit of it but not a whole lot. She sounds way worse today than she did last night even.

I hope I am not over reacting, but I really am beginning to think there is more going on. I am very worried about her!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Oh Kay Im sorry! I hope her appointment today goes well...Poor little baby!

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 11:40 AM

When I first got Eve I knew she was going to get a URI. She was on antibiotics for almost a month. Then when I stopped it came back. In total it took 3 months for her to get better. I have seen a couple of kittens grow into adulthood never getting better and constantly on meds.

It is possible that it could be viral, as Jade said. One virus looks very much like an URI and really irritates the eyes as well. This is a herpes type virus that humans CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT contract. Believe me that was the first thing I asked the vet and with all the snuggling I do I would have gotten something by now. You can try adding some Lysine (an amino acid found in vitamin sections or health food stores). Look for the powder filled capsules and mix it in with a little bit of wet food. I would give her about 1/2 a capsule. If its not affecting the eyes than it is probably some thing different. Just make sure she eats and drinks. I have seen cats practically starve themselves due to URI's and we have to force feed them. I think they do it on purpose becuase they know they get the good stuff then.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Dena! I will mention that to the vet today & see what she thinks. Her eyes water a little, but only a little. It mostly seems to be her nose. She acts like she wants to eat, she even tries but it seems like she can't breath through her nose while eating so she gives up.

Part of me thought maybe she sounds worse but it is really getting better because the congestion is breaking up? But I hate hearing her like this. She sounds like she is sorta 1/2 coughing & 1/2 sneezing all the time. Her nose is almost always runny too.

What exactly does the Lysine do? Is that to help with the cold or if it were that virus you mentioned?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww man Kay! I'm sorry Maggie still isn't feeling well. Steph and Dena gave great advice. I'm glad you got another appointment for today.

Hmm interesting about the Lysine, Dena! I know they say for us humans to take Lysine for canker sores, and I have tried it and it seems to make it heal a bit faster.

I hope everything is ok with Maggie, Kay. Give her a hug from me!

~* Jackie *~

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 01:19 PM

KAY,

If she cannot smell the food she won't eat it. We microwaved wet food to make it smell more so our kitties would eat. hope the dr. has some good news for you!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Nicole I didn't know that!! THANK YOU!

Kristen is home from school today & just called me & said she was eating a little of her wet food & was drinking water earlier. I'll be leaving work in about 1/2 hour to go pick her up & take her in.

I'll let you all know what happens. Thank you guys all so much for your support & advice! I don't know what I'd do without you all!

Tags
canned food, health food store, wet food