why cant they all get along? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

why cant they all get along?

is there a proper way to introduce dogs and kittens? my kitten is perfectly cool with my dog, or so i thought she was until she started trembaling when i came into my parents house and she really hasnt stopped. i have to admit that lady is pretty agressive, or should i say over playful and i try and tell her to be nice, in which she starts licking the cat like crazy, actually in fact it looks like shes mauling (sp) Trinity. i mean were a lot further then the first day i brought trinity over which consisted of hissing and growling. but i would love to let trinity be upstairs (and not locked in my bed room) and lady being able to be gental, this is lady's home she is 10, she has not had to share with any one well except for 2 dogs, one she brought home when she ran away (a huskey puppy) and when i was dog sitting (that did not go well at all). but now i feel that trinity doesnt feel safe because shes shaking (or is that something i need to be concerned with)? any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Part of the Pack

You can go here: http://www.spcahouston.org/images/Sp...RODUCTIONS.pdf and it'll explain how to do introductions with cats and dogs. You can also talk to your vet and tell him/her to give you tips on it and to make sure your cat is ok. It's a pdf file so you need adobe. If you don't have it, I can try to copy some of what it says.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 09:01 AM
Adolescent Pup

I haven't tried introducing cats & dogs. Even introducing 2 cats didn't work for us. We have a cat (Stinky) who's 14. He is the weirdest cat. He didn't even realize he could jump till a few years ago. He is afraid of his own shadow, which is part of the reason he is such a good indoor cat. Anyway, once my son wanted to move back home & bring his new kitten. Stinky wouldn't have it. He hissed & growled like you can't imagine. We told our son this was his home first, so the kitten had to go. It was only here 1 or 2 days, but the whole ordeal upset Stinky so bad that he wasn't himself for at least a week. We didn't think he would ever get over it. He hissed, growled, & blew at us constantly, for no reason. We thought we had ruined him forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My puppy and cat do not get on so well either.
She is scared of him but gradualy she is getting used to him. Sometimes she even lets him get right up to her face but when he starts chasing she scratches and hisses at her and he is scared of her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Lady and Trinity get along. Lady will kiss trinity and when lady is begging for food and wagging her tain or whenever lady is distracted and wagging her tail Trinity will hunt it and completely starttle Lady. Lady will give kisses to Trinity but then she starts chewing on her fur. Which scares me and the pawing thing is still happening but not as frequent, we dont let them be together when we leave the house.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I have very strong minded cats and a very wimpy puppy so the cats rule in my house.
If he gets on their nerves which is regular they hiss and bat him on the nose.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I have a playful cat and dog lady is 10 she still acts 2
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Part of the Pack

How young is the kitty? Luckily the kittens got over their fear quickly. All my dog wanted to do was smell them. I think your pups licking may lead to biting though. I think she might be testing the waters as to how far she can go. We kept our dog on the leash for a couple of days until we knew for sure she wouldn't hurt the kitty. Then we locked the kitty up during the day until we were absolutely sure the cat could defend herself or run away if something did happen.

Good luck! I'm sure in no time they'll be friends. Hopefully, Lady is just excited and doesn't really want to bite the kitten.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I dunno, when Lady is tired she will trinity lay down next to her. I want them to get along. Trinity is about 7 months, Lady is is 10 years. Trinity has been around Lady since she was about 9 weeks old (they didnt get along to well actually Lady barked and growled Trinity hissed. So they have been getting better but I think because I am only there on the weekends it is slowing up the process :shrugs:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Part of the Pack

Oh Trinity and Lady don't live in the same house? That would make it more difficult to get them used to each other.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Yeah I moved out about 8 months ago. But for the most part i go home on the weekends.

Tags
indoor cat