Why did my cat die? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Why did my cat die?

Ok, so my 9 yr old cat (also my baby) wasn't acting himself, and was not sleeping with me which he had done since i got him. A few days later he stopped eating, I took him to the vet and the ran tests, all negative, and gave me antibiotics to give him. I took him home, but he didn't get better so I took him back 3 days later. They gave him a steriod shot which was supposed to make him eat, and told me to change to a high protien diet to help his kidneys dialysis, and also informed me this would help prolong his life by many years... Thinking he was in the clear I had to go out of town that night (on Wed) and came home early Friday morning to him panting and heaving. Rushed him back to vet where he died, vet tried to revive him, but no luck. They didn't offer me any insight as to what caused my baby to die. I just so happen to bring home a baby kitten from my family cat, and had her checked and then scrubbed the house from top to bottom in fear of poison...
I am heart broken and lost to what happened...does anyone have any answers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 04:09 PM
the rodent lover<3

Sorry for your loss. It could've been the steroids, but it could've also been age.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Hello Earthling

Sorry for your loss...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am so sorry for your loss. It could have been old age or some kind of kidney failure or something like that. I'm so sorry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Curmudgeon

I'm sorry for your loss.

The sad fact is that you may never know what happened. Vets do the best they can, but in the end.... there are many things that are just out of their hands. If you think about it, human doctors lose patients every day. ...and we are able to tell the doctor exactly what we are feeling and experiencing. Having to diagnose a creature that can't talk or tell you where it hurts is amazingly difficult. I don't know how most vets do it at all.

Don't focus on the circumstances of your cats passing. Instead remember the time you shared with each other. Waking up next to him and all the other good memories.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:57 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

So sorry for your loss, I can't imagine myself when I'm on your situation right now. Sending hugs and vibes for you...

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 AM

Very sad

I was sad to read your post, our pets are so dear to us.
My experience with vets has been mostly positive but one can never be to careful.
Not to long ago our neighbors cat died. We suspect that he may have eaten a mole that had been poisoned. He was an active hunter and prowled the neighborhood.., (one neighbor has a yard filled with plants/flowers, possible source of chemicals and infected moles). With sympathy, Carl P.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for all your support! All I can do now is just love my new kittY and keep Smokey in my heart. I've decided to make a special photo album with just his pics in it and stuff...and I got an angel tattoo on my back with his name under it...maybe a little much, but he was my baby and I miss him terribly! Thank you all again!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Adolescent Pup

My sister's dog died very soon after having been given steroids by the vet. After that we've had a suspicion the steroids killed him, because there was nothing wrong with his health really. If a vet ever tries giving your animal steroids I would say no, and maybe even go as far as not visit that vet anymore. But I'm only saying this because of what happened to my sister's dog and seeing what's happened to your cat. Hopefully this info helps. Sorry for your loss.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Newborn Pup

sorry to here
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Betta Bomb

Sorry for your loss, unfortunatley, life = death . Its sad, and I truly feel for you as we had a mystery cat die many many years ago due to poison?? We only think. Many unanswered questions will haunt you forever but try to remember all the good times. RiP

Tags
stopped eating