Why has My Best Friend's Cat suddenly turned on Me ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Why has My Best Friend's Cat suddenly turned on Me ?

My Best Friend's 2 year old Cat who has always been sweet towards Me in the past has suddenly developed a seeming hatred towards Me ... This situation is really uncomfortable for Me and I am assuming said Feline as well since She is very obviously bothered by my presence whenever I am near . In the past this same Cat accepted Me and allowed for Me to pet Her , play with Her , Feed Her etc . I have known Her for most of Her 2 years and have been around Her regularly enough to ensure that this is not some case of unfamiliarity due to the span of time that has elapsed from visit to visit and I can assure you that I have not ever done anything mean to Her - in fact , I used to enjoy giving Her treats and whatnot .. While I do live with My own 2 Feline Friends ( both 2 as well , a male and a female who were both fixed at 6 months , as was She ) I do not believe that Her smelling their scents on Me is to blame because if that were the cause for this I would think that She would have been doing this the whole time . Her attitude has remained unchanged towards everyone else it seems which makes the whole thing worse because why would She decide to single Me out in this way and it hurts My feelings , it is also somewhat embarrassing when She does this in front of People - She really makes a point of coming right up to Me and She just starts Hissing and a few times She has also extended one of Her paws out towards Me as if She is about to strike but then hesitates and retreats .. After initially trying to sweet talk Her etc I have now come to the conclusion that all I can do is pretend that I do not see Her at all which is sort of hard and especially whenever it is just Me and Her in the room because then She starts trying to threaten Me by coming right to where I am and getting My attention by staring Me down and Hiss Hiss etc... This all began about 3 weeks ago and I would like any advice that anybody has to offer which might Help Remedy the situation as well as any information on why this may be happening ... Thank You !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM
It's all for them

Have you changed anything about yourself. New perfume, new laundry detergent, new foods, anything that may make you smell different. Even, (especially) a new medication?

If you have started using something new, stop using it and see if that helps. Except any new medication of course, that you should keep taking.

Two things I recommend you try. When you go to your friend's house: Have your friend put a dot of cooking vanilla (NOT perfume) on kitty's nose (make sure to avoid getting in eyes), chin and root of tail, just a tiny drop in each place, and you put cooking vanilla on your pulse points (wrists, throat).

This will make you both smell the same, and may help.

Another option is to buy a bottle of Feliway spray and spray your hands with it before you go to your friends house. Feliway is expensive though so try the Vanilla Trick first.

PS It has been documented that animals can sometimes detect illnesses in humans, when the humans have no clue that they are sick. A check up for yourself might be a good idea.

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Playful Pup

It could very well be that she smells another cat scent on you. Cats are extremely territorial, and any cat (especially an inside cat) will pick up on another's scent and could react negatively.

Also what was mentioned above is great advise, I've never tried the vanilla tactic but I've heard it works wonders

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That might probably do something with the scent.. or sudden behavior change can be caused by illness or health issue.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Adolescent Pup

Please post when/if this is resolved. I am curious.
Maybe opposing political views? Hmmn.. or some scent issue... :-P
Good luck finding answers!

Tags
cat aggression, cat behavior, cat care, cats, hissing