Why is he attacking? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Why is he attacking?

Have a question about one of my cats.

I have 3 cats now, but in the past have had up to 6. Cats have come in from difficult situations, and been cared for here until I have been able to find good homes for them. I have taken in both males and females in the past, neutered and un-neutered, and have also had new born kittens in the house.

The 3 cats are now own are Tinkerbelle a 2 yr old un-neutered female.
And jasper and Zee, I have had jasper and zee from birth, they were out of a feral mum and dad, and are now 7 years old in may. They are both enormous cats and although spayed are known for fighting with other cats in the area.
Al the cats have always goton in the home, obviously providing one is not intentionally antagonising another, in which case a bit of hissing may occur at most.

This is until about a week or 2 ago. Jasper in this time has started to attack the other cats? He has chased and attacked Tinkerbelle on more than one occasion, and twice I have had to seperate him and Zee as they have been having a full on roll around, hair flying fight.
About 5 months ago he started getting a bit spiteful with my daughter and even a couple of times with me, he also keeps going for the dog.
I have had him checked by the vet who said he is in good health, and her only suggestion was maybe to consider re-homing him.

For me this is not an option, I have had him from a babe, so seven years, I absolutely unconditionally adore him, and could never imagine not having him.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas why he has suddenly started behaving strangely. Or any suggestions as to what I can do.

Like I said rehoming is not an option, so I desperately need advice.
Many thanks in advance... x

proud owner of
Sam......3yr old pedigree whippet male
Jasper ande zee......hand reared male feral cats, both black, both brothers, both ENORMOUS 6yrs
Tinkerbelle.....hand reared female tabby cat 2 years, too intelligent for her own good
Cisko.....chinese dwarf hamster app 5 months and very cute

plus 3 baby mice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

is he neutured ? it souunds like it might be hormons although i could be wrong

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Betta Bomb

If its not hormones, my old roommate hoarded cats. And once the tensions began with them she got some pheremones which, when sprayed around the house, calmed them down.

Sometimes, cats will become like this when they are stressed out about sharing territory or females etc. . . The pheremone acts to repel any tension they are feeling. I think its made with cat pee O.o Ask your vet about that. It might be available at pet stores behind the counter too. Ask around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Part of the Pack

I don't know the answer WHY, but I did have a situation where my male cat (neutered) started brutally attacking the new female. (neutered) I could never give away one of my babies, either, so we bought a screen door and placed it in approximately half of the house. We had just moved 4 months earlier, and there were always alot of strays coming through our yard. (My cats are indoor cats) The vet suggested it was "transferred aggression". Since he couldn't get to the outside cats, he'd attack Lucy. But the screen door idea worked great. It didn't stop the airflow, and they could see what was going on in the rest of the house. Of course, we let them trade places, too. I feel your pain!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hi everyone, and thank you for the advice.
He is indeed neutered, but had always been a dominant catIm going to find out about the phermone thing.
I remember seeing adverstised a plug in air freshener that has a calming effect on cats and dogs, It was advertised around guy fawkes.

proud owner of
Jasper ande zee......hand reared male feral cats, both black, both brothers, both ENORMOUS 6yrs
Tinkerbelle.....hand reared female tabby cat 2 years, too intelligent for her own good

plus 3 baby mice
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Are you going to get the female spayed (Tinkerbelle)?

Even neutered males will react to unspayed females. Maybe having an unspayed, hormonal, female in the house is what's setting him off?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Tinkerbelle will be spayed, she is pregnant at the moment, but this has not been a problem when i have adopted, taken in pregnant cats in the past.
And please please dont everyone lay into me that she is pregnant, I know everyones views about that due to previous post.
She will be spayed the minute the kittens are weaned.

I think I may have to take him back to the vet, But will try the calming effect plug ins first for a week.

proud owner of

plus 3 baby mice
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Ah yeah okay I remember your other post.

How long have you had Tinkerbelle? Did the problem start when you added her to the family or before that?

Maybe he's stressed? It sounds like his life is constantly changing if you are taking in and re-homing other animals all the time. Maybe that's something to talk to the vet about. Growing up my family had a cat who got very aggressive after we got a new dog - not just towards the dog but to us as well. Our vet said it was because adding the dog to the mix caused her anxiety and stressed her out. We ended up having to put her on anti-anxiety meds to help her cope with the stress.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I really hope it wont come to that. We have not had any new additions for about 6 months now. In fact one has gone to a new home. The only newbies to the family, are a dwarf hamster, and an orphaned mouse baby, both of which are kept seperate from the cats for obvious reasons :p

I am hoping its just a springtime thing, and nothing more serious, like a medical condition. We do have an changable animal situation from spring until autumn, that seems to be when people give up on their animals?

I have noticed that all my pets, neutered or otherwise tend to get more "frisky" around this time of year. Im guessing its and instinctive thing.

Will let you know how he gets on with the calming/pheromone plug thingy. And if not back to the vets *sigh*
x

proud owner of

plus 3 baby mice
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Adolescent Pup

Having an unspayed female could be a part of the problem. Another would be any strays that he might see walking across 'his' territory. Perhaps try covering up windows and removing window perches for a couple months?

I highly recommend getting a pheromone dispenser or spray bottle. If you don't want the cost (at least, in Canada it costs a lot) you could also look for Rescue Remedy which you add to their water... although, I'm not sure how much it costs since I can't get it here.

Extra love and play sessions might help burn off some of his excess energy. Maybe add another litter box, just in case he feels threatened. Ummm, I think that's it. Good luck

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hey barking pup thanks for all the tips. I wonder if your right about other males in his territory, our next door neighbour has 2 male cats which he fights with alot. They sit on our fence sometimes, so I guess that could be bugging him and he is taking his aggression out on his housemates.

Rescue remedy is good, I remember now, I have used the spray on my dog before, as he has terrible seperation anxiety, due to being left for hours and hours by previous so called "owners" (I say so called because when I took him in he was seriously neglected and showed sure signs of abuse also )

I am going to look into prices of plug ins this week and see whats about, thing is if my dog becomes anymore relaxed indoors he will be in a coma lol. He is a whippet so sleeps and sleeps for england so to speak!

He has recently started using the litter box, which is also unusual behaviour as he always religiously went outside?
Could the two things be related do you think?

proud owner of

plus 3 baby mice
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Adolescent Pup

It could be either the neighbour's males (which he has fought with) and being unable to get to them from behind a window.

OR

Since he just started using a litterbox he could feel threatened by other cats scent in 'his' box. How many boxes do you have? Where are they?

The general consensus is one box per cat plus one. If space is an issue the bigger the better (I have two giant boxes for my two cats). Placement is also a large factor. Each box should be in an easily escapable place. When inside the box the cat should be able to see every entrance and exit so if another cat approaches they can quickly finish and be gone. Hoods, in my opinion, are unnecessary and can cause anxiety since the view is limited and one cat may surprise another just leaving etc.

You could also try cleaning the boxes thoroughly with some sort of enzyme cleaner to get rid of all the cats scents so they can reestablish the boxes with all the scents at once. Then, clean each box once or twice a day religiously. If it is, indeed, litterbox anxieties this could help.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Mouse Obsessor

It could also be his age. My cousin's cat, Mellow, has suddenly started attacking the dog (who he has known his whole life) and the other cat (who they have had for almost 2 years). He just seems to be getting more and more grouchy with his age. He wants to be left alone and the mere presence of the other pets annoys him.
Reguardless what is causing it, chances are it is stress related. So focus on things to calm his stress. Anti-anxiety meds, that calming spray. Maybe giving him his own room in the house that the other pets are not allowed in. Things like that.

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:30 PM
It's all for them

How are things going here? Have you started the feliway plug in diffusers yet?

I whole heartedly recommend Feliway plug in diffusers. You can get them cheapest at amazon.com. They ship to Canada.

I love Feliway!

Tags
adivce, attack