Why i hate dogs. . . the slaughter of Pumpkin the kitten - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy Why i hate dogs. . . the slaughter of Pumpkin the kitten

I have a dog named Cassie; a golden retriver/rotwiller mix. And I hate her with the passion of christ. I am personally a cat person, but normally I have no problem with dogs. But this . . .this monster is so loathsome it's unbareable. Up until next week, I'm living with my mom. She's the only one that likes Cassie. Although reasonbly kind to humans, she's utterly vicious to any other animals, encluding our maltises and our cats.

Today, she slaughtered one of our kittens. Mom found him lying in a puddle of blood ozzing from his head next to Cassie's food dish. Although no one saw her do it, I'm sure of it. First off, Cassie has never gone at any animal on her own, only if something came close to her. She's especially vicious when she's eating, because she's a glutenous fat *****, which would explain why she killed him. Secondly, I've seen her do similar things to our other animals. She's bitten one of our maltises in the head and caused it to bleed. And she's also done it bad enough to another kitten to cause it to go into seisures. Pumpkin was only about a month old, so he didn't know any better.

I've been in tears for the past half hour. Half out of grief and half out of anger. I've always hated that dog because she picks on things smaller than her. But now I would rather eat dirt than see her take another breath. I HATE how mom always stands up for her. Even though she's in tears because she killed her favorite kitten. I wish she'd get rid of it, or put her down. I honestly don't see why she keeps her. She's nothing but a nusance. There isn't a single good thing about her. She's mean, not intellegent at all, and all she does is eat everything in sight, fart, get on the furniture, and kill things.

To be honest, I have no problem with dogs. Small dogs I don't mind, but I've never seen such vicious animals as larger dogs. When I lived with my sister, she had a chow mix that broke into my room, smashed my rat's cage, and slaughtered it. I loved that rat too. I love all animals, just not Cassie. I mean I know cats can do the same to rodents, but I've never had a cat slaughter anything. anytime a cat has ever messed with any rodents I had was out of curiousity and wanting a new toy. NEVER have I had an animal kill something so maliciously as larger dogs. And not even for food. . just to kill it. I mean even if a cat kills something it eats it. Any dog I've ever had kill something just did it out of spite.

. I just wish mom would do something about her. I mean in the least, give her to a shelter with an explicit message that the new owner must have no smaller animals.

Has anyone else had this problem with cat loathing animals?

**Mod note: Please refrain from cursing by avoiding the censors. **

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Chrisanne; 05-18-2005 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

My dog can be a monster too. We have to just keep him away from our cats.

Why did you get her if she's so bad? Maybe you may have to rehome her...

I've so sorry this had to happen, though. I'm a cat person too, and that would just kill me.

Pet parent to Orei and Princess (the kitties), Caeser (the doggie), Marco, Piper and Silferno (the ratties).
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm really sorry about your kitten ... it truly is horrible that something had to happen to him.

However, I doubt many on this forum will take some of your comments towards larger dogs lightly. I understand that you are very emotional at the moment but please remember that the idea that larger dogs are more aggressive is a very sensitive issue for large breed owners.

Try to keep in mind that Cassie may have behavioral issues that are hard for you to understand right now. I know it is a terrible thing that has happened but just because Cassie did something bad does not necessarily mean she is a bad dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

Right. She was probally just raised wrong. I perfer smaller dogs, but I love my Caeser more then anything.

Pet parent to Orei and Princess (the kitties), Caeser (the doggie), Marco, Piper and Silferno (the ratties).
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you for your support. And I didn't mean to down larger dogs. I just meant that all larger dogs that I have had in the past have been vicious. Some of my friends have had wonderful large breed dogs that I absolutely adored. It's just that in the past, I've have issues with large dogs.

I guess it's hard to classify a dog as good or bad. But then Cassie doesn't have many redeming qualities, either. Either way, I don't think we should keep her. Both my mom and I love cats, and we have tons, so it's hard to keep them away from her. Lately it seems she has gotten more and more aggresive towards other animals. I hope at least she's smart enough to never kill any of my three cats. I try to control my rage, but the worst kind of anger is when saddess is involved. If she ever serious harmed any of my cats, I would personally see her out the door. . . and depsite my uttter hatred for her, however, I could never purpously harm any animal (unless it's a smack on the butt 'bad dog' kinda thing.) so I would take her to a selter.

Anyway, we raised Cassie from a puppy, so she's been around cats and other animals her whole life. I don't know why she's so mean to them. Normally animals raised from babies around other animals tend to be compatable with them, at least in my expierance. The only 'bad raising' she may have gotten was when my late step father, who was normally a good man, beat her senseless in the head (when she was younger) with a either a stick or dog bone (can't remember which ) when she bit his hand for trying to take a bone away from her. She doesn't bite humans anymore. . . maybe if I just got a really big cat to give her a taste of her own bullying medicine she wouldn't snap at cats, either. lol. . .j/k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tonifersangel; 05-17-2005 at 10:56 PM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

Insted of a shelter, could you please take her to a rescue? Its the least you can do, even though you're really angry at her right now.

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I understand how you feel. My grandmother had a larger dog that injured my Chihuahua last year. Although I adore animals it was very hard to see that dog sometimes. No one expects you to forget what happened or to necessarily turn over a new leaf with Cassie. But it is important to keep in mind that as an animal it is doubtful she killed the kitten in a murderous rage. She may have merely been following instincts or there could be deeper behavioral issues which an expert needs to explore. Cassie is an animal too ... and as an animal she cannot explain why she did something verbally. I'm not defending her actions .. just trying to make her easier to live with for you. I agree that it might be best to find her a new home.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

When I say shelter I mean no kill. Any shelters that kill I refer to as pounds. That's why I said 'despite my hatred. . . .blah blah blah shelter' Like I said, even though I hate her, I could never harm any living creature, that's why I would take her to a no kill shelter.

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm sorry to hear about your kitten. Seems to me the dog might be acting out cause it's in a home where people hate it. Sorry but you should not live in that house if you hate the dog so much cause she will sense that and act out for it.
I own a breed of dog that was originally bred to fight other dogs to the death. She lives with a cat, and two rabbits. These dogs were normally taught to fight by killing smaller animals and she has never harmed our smaller animals, in fact she treats the cat like it is her puppy. We trained her for 8 months to make sure she was trust worthy, we didn't just click our fingers to make it happen.
I'm sorry, but if that dog doesn't like cats then you should not be introducing cats to the household while that dog is there. and yes, I think being beat in the head with a stick when she was younger really could have something to do with it.
I don't agree with aggressive dogs at all, if it was my dog I'd be seeking professional advice and if nothing could be done I'd either re-home the dog or have it euthanised. Doing nothing and allowing innocent animals around her when you know she is likely to kill them is wrong and you/your mum is just as much to blame as the dog. Sorry, just the opinion of a large dog owner.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Part of the Pack

I understand your anger to a point.
My boyfriend has a dog that would be awful if put near a cat and she's not very nice with other dogs when she's fed. When she attacked a stray that went into the yard I went outside and ran after her (she was still chasing the cat after having it pinned under the house for about 30 minutes) and tied her up. The stray had already gone up a tree in the yard and wouldn't get down. I knew it would never be able to get down with the dog loose so my boyfriend threw water at it with a hose. He finally came down onto the top of a storage thing he has there. I saw the cat and it was hurt from somewhere because I saw blood on her. The cat was then scared out of the yard. I hated his dog that day. But I also knew that it wasn't her fault.
If the dog is not good with other small animal and you/your mom knew this, small animals should not have been around the dog. I think you should rehome the dog or rehome the small animals. They are just at risk of death or of pain if the dog attacks one of them.

My babies...

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
I'm sorry, but if that dog doesn't like cats then you should not be introducing cats to the household while that dog is there.
I couldn't agree more! You should have the dog rehomed immediately in a place where she is the only pet. I know you're in a tough spot if she belongs to your mom, but you really need to sit down and talk to her. The dog will continue to kill the cats, you will continue to hate the dog even more. That just isn't fair to the cats or the dog.

Please get that dog into an only pet environment as soon as possible.

Rhonda

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

My mom likes Cassie. I normally have nothing to do with her. In fact I'm rarely ever home. My step father is dead, and when he was alive, before he got deathly ill, he also liked Cassie. He was a reformed drunk and no doubt was drunk when the 'training' occured. Sure I dislike her, but I never am around her, nor am I mean to her. As I have said numerous times, I love all animals, and can never harm or even be mean to any animals.

We have had Cassie since I was 11, and I am now 20. We've ALWAYS had cats, liek I said before. She only started retaliating on them in the past few years, and I don't know why. She's mom's dog, basically, and mom's just as much of an animal lover as I am, so she's never treated her badly. So there's no 'introducing cats'; they were there first. And she's only been doing this in the past couple of years. To be honest, since she's getting older, she's been having alot of arthritus (forgive my spelling), so that may account for her grumpiness.

She has never killed anything before. Sure she's snapped at things, because she's grumpy and likes little else but humans. This happened only tonight and it was a first time occurance. We never thought it would ever get this bad.

And I have talked to my mother about getting rid of her numerous times, yet she always refuses. If it were up to me we would have gotten rid of her the first time she snapped at anything, because liek you, I do not agree with vicious dogs. Like I said, it's my mothers dog, and I have no say in what happens to her.

Now RS Bunny, no offense, but it really fells like you are attacking me. First off, it seems like you are telling where I should and should not live, because of a dog. I really think family comes before animals, and it were really that much of a problem, then she should go, not I. ANYWAY, if you read my first post carefully enough, you would see that I said 'Up until next week, I'm living with my mom', meaning I'm moving out in a week, anyway. The way you put it, it sounds like you're saying we anticipated this to happen. Believe me, if I knew she would ever hurt an animal that bad it I would have gotten rid of her long ago, even if I had to sneak her out when mom was out of the house. And also, in case you couldn't tell, I was histerical when I wrote my first post in this topic and therefore understandble ticked off. I'm not trying to be rude, but you said some pretty hateful things that I don't feel I deserved.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonifersangel
The way you put it, it sounds like you're saying we anticipated this to happen. Believe me, if I knew she would ever hurt an animal that bad it I would have gotten rid of her long ago, even if I had to sneak her out when mom was out of the house.
I think RSbunny was trying to point out that it's happened more then once. I don't think she was trying to be mean, just pointing out what you had stated earlier.
Quote:
Although reasonbly kind to humans, she's utterly vicious to any other animals, encluding our maltises and our cats.
Quote:
Secondly, I've seen her do similar things to our other animals. She's bitten one of our maltises in the head and caused it to bleed. And she's also done it bad enough to another kitten to cause it to go into seisures.
Like I said earlier, I realize that you're in a tough spot because it's your mom's dog. I also noticed in your profile that you have 30+ cats. Will you be taking all of the cats, or will they still be living with the dog? I'm not trying to sound mean at all, but the dog attacking cats and other small animals has happened more than once and I assure you it will happen again. PLEASE PLEASE try to talk your mom into rehoming the dog. You moving out only solves the problem of the dog attacking YOUR cats.

Rhonda

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 12:42 AM
Adolescent Pup

I don't think RSbunny meant to be hateful, I just think she was upset that this happened, and is telling you what you should do. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think if you can't rehome the dog, you need to rehome the cats. They are in way too much risk.

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

You're right Scarelette, I guess it just hurt me, that's all. Anyway, like I said before, I was really upset when I wrote my first post, and so I may have exagerated it a bit. Anyway, even my kindest dogs, one of which as personally nursed several kittens, has snapped at the cats before. That's usually all Cassie ever does. Dogs will be dogs, so there's no telling how one of our maltises got hurt the the above mentioned attack. They could have been fighting, and it got too serious. We never actually saw what happened we just heard Cassie snarl and and then the maltise had some blood on it's head. As for the other insodent with the other kitten, we though it was an isolated insodent. The cat was fine afterwards.

As for the cats, most of them live outside, since we live on a farm. The older cats are all too smart to go near Cassie, so none of them are in danger. It's just kittens that are at risk, because they have not yet learned to fear Cassie and are so small and fragile. Like I said, Cassie has never gone after any animal, she just does not like anyone envading her space, especially when she's eating.

Actually, I'm not taking any of the cats. The appartment my husband-to-be and I are getting does not allow cats. I love my cats, but I trust that mom will take care of them for me like she did for my sister's cat when she moved out 16 or so years ago.

Lastly, I think it would be a whole lot easier if he got rid of Cassie as apposed to our cats. First off, we love out cats, and secondly, most shelters charge to take in animals so the cst alone would be way too much as compaired to just one dog.

Tags
animal lover, breed dogs, chow mix, farm animals, lab mix, rat terrier