Why use a litter box? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Why use a litter box?

My cat had diarrhea for about 3 days and he never seemed to make it to the litter box. He would always go outside the box. I thought nothing of it until he got over the diarrhea and is not just pooping outside the box. I would hate to think he was doing everything outside the box. Luckily it is in the cats room, but still. Every time I walk in there its as if he is saying...."why use the litter box when there is a perfectly good floor right there!" When he was sick it wasn't a big deal, but now that he is better, it is soooo upsetting.

Has anyone ever heard of this or had some similar problem? Is there a way to correct this behavior!? I really don't know what to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Miss New Booty

Ahh man, Nikki! Is this something new since he was sick? I know sometimes it's a behavioral issue.. Any other new changes? I'm not sure about the pooping outside the box but my Snuggles did the opposite, peeing around the house outside the box. His was a behavorial issue. AND he hated the new hooded expensive litter robot we had gotten.. lol! Some cats just hate the hooded boxes.
Are you scooping the box every day, etc? Have you changed the kind of litter at all? How many boxes do you have?
Hmmm.. I might ask the vet about it, to be on the safe side if it doesn't get any better.
Glad he is feeling better though and hope everythings ok!

~* Jackie *~

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 02:53 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Our male will defecate outside of the box if it isn't kept VERY clean. We often scoop it throughout the day, especially if there are visible lumps. Do you only have one cat? If you have more than one cat, I would suggest at least two litterboxes, if not three. Have you experimented with different boxes? Max wouldn't go in the hooded box that Jackie mentioned no matter how clean it was. Also, have you experimented with different types of litters? We use a blend of regular litter and the silica crystals. The crystals soak up the urine really quickly and lessen the chance that Max will step in a wet spot and decide he isn't going to go in the box.

It can be upsetting but you have to be very careful not to punish your cat for going on the floor. Any type of punishment could be mistaken as punishment for defecating (not defecating on the floor) and that can cause many more problems in the future.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

We do have two cats, but there are two different boxes. The box Cody is using is not hooded. Its still clean there are no clumps at all in it. uh oh.... We actually found a little poop on the floor so we put it in the box. Hopefully, he will see or smell it and say oh yeah I remember using that box. I'm hoping it gets better. If not I will definitely have to check with the vet. It just started when he was sick... so I don't think its a behavioral problem. He only does it in the one room, thankfully. I guess that is the one thing to be thankful for!!!

I would never punish my kitty... whats the point... he wouldn't get it anyway, and its mean.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Uh oh... I think I must have made him mad by putting his poop in the box, because when I woke up this morning.... EEEEKKKK there was poop on our sun porch!

It looks like I'll have to call the vet. I've never heard of a cat not wanting to use the box. I think my pets are turning against me! I still can't seem to get my puppy house trained. I swear they think the house is one giant litter box!!!!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 09:58 AM
New Title? MEMBER.

If it is behavioral (which is my hunch), definitely invest in more litterboxes. Many owners have had success with the shallow Rubbermaid storage bins (the underbed types) because they are larger and the cat has more room to move around. How often do you completely change the litter? Don't be discouraged. I wouldn't say that this is a common problem, but I do know many owners who have had similar problems.

Candice

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

We change it completely once a week and wash out the boxes. We scoop daily. My friend was having a similar problem, but he was peeing on her bed, she said she added an additional box.

I think that is the general consensus, to add another box. I'm going to try that, hopefully it will work. This time I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

If it really is diarrhea then you need to see the vet anyway. Dehydration is a serious concern, especially after 3 or more days.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 04:11 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Quote:
I thought nothing of it until he got over the diarrhea and is not just pooping outside the box.
I think that means that the diarrhea is gone now.

Candice

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yes he is over that now. Actually, today I think he went in the box! Success. I guess all of our chats may have helped. More like me begging.... "Please Cody.... please use the box. PLEASE" That and I closed the door to every other room in the house. And I placed him in the box and swished his front feet around like he was digging. Maybe that triggered something!!!

I don't want to get too excited in case I go home and find a little present but... I'm hoping he is over it.

Tags
litter box