why would he do this? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

why would he do this?

Ok last night I was in the dining room playing with Biscuit and Milko and I could smell this 'pooey' sort of a smell. I couldn't see anything so didn't worry too much about it....just put it down to biscuit farting or whatever

Well earlier on we had a storm and Alex went to put my car away and he didn't shut the front door properly. I couldn't find Milko and started freaking out, thinking he must have gone outside. So I was calling out to him everywhere and eventually seen him come out from behind a cabinet we have in the dining room. I picked him to give him a hug and he smelt like poo. I checked behind the cabinet and there was THREE poos behind there....all fresh! I'm guessing the first one was from last night which is why I could smell it. I cleaned it up and steam cleaned the carpets until I could no longer smell it (ever put your nose to steaming hot carpet to smell poo before....gag worthy stuff let me tell you ) and I have pushed the cabinet right back so he can no longer get behind there (unless he jumps over the top but he is too little to do that yet and he will be getting sprayed the second he starts) but why would he do it?
At first I thought that he may have forgotten where his tray was but it wasn't adding up cause all the poos were fresh, and I would've thought he'd have done this when we first got him, rather than start now.
The woman that used to live here owned three cats (even though my p's had a no pet rule on the house a repairman my dad knew seen them all and dobbed her in, my p's did nothing about it) and so I'm wondering if one of her cats has gone to the toilet in that spot and when Milko went behind the cabinet (he only just got behind there in the last day or so) he smelt it and thought he could go there too. We've lived here for five months though and the woman was supposed to get the carpets professionally cleaned so would the smell still be there for him?
I just want to know the possible cause and whether he is likely to start going to the toilet in other places he shouldn't or if it's probably just something to do with that particular corner and now he can't go there, will go back to his litter tray.

OT....there will be Milko photos in the next few days.....my connection has gone back to dial up speed until the 19th and takes way too long to load a single picture....I'm not patient enough! But they are coming!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 02:36 AM
Miss New Booty

Hmmm that is entirely possible he smells something from the other kitties? Do you have an enzyme based cleaner there like Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle in Aus? Sometimes they say cleaning it with Vingear and water will do the trick, too. They smell stuff we might not. I'm not quite sure why he chose to go number 2 there. I'm more familiar with the cat urine issue! Ya, I bet that lady didn't clean the carpets! Who knows right?

Also, he could be marking his territory.. Snuggles won't usually bury it when he goes in the litter box, he is marking his territory as *top kitty*! But Milko is the only cat so I'm not sure, unless he thinks Biscuit is a cat?

He is still really little though.. maybe he just forgot where the box was, like you said? Hmmmm. Keep an eye on it. Maybe put another small litter box out so he has 2 to go to also? My vet told me once it's good to have 2 boxes per cat, I said "I need to have 6 boxes in my house?!?!?" lol!

Yay, we will be waiting for those pics!!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 02:44 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

It's a wierd thing that can hardly be answered, some cats do it because they are so young and tend to get "lazy" some do it as if they are marking territory, some do it because they smell scents from other cats, etc....We have had several foster kittens and even full grown cats go behind doors and in corners, the only way we have ever been able to discourage this, is by catching them in the act, picking them up, telling them "no" and placing them in their box.....When then clean with a 50/50 white vinegar and water solution, which usually works.....now if the problem continues after that, what I would recommend is blocking off that part where Milko is going so none of the animals can even get close to it, scrubbing it down with a 10/90 bleach/water solution letting it fully dry, then go back over it with the 50/50 Vinegar/water solution.
Carmen he isn't the first kitten to do this, it's just a matter of time in breaking him of this, so it doesn't continue and could possibly get worse!
Good Luck Hun

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 02:56 AM
Miss New Booty

Awesome Kim! Good suggestions! Oh yah, I forgot to say *white* vinegar! But, it is 3:45 AM and I'm falling asleep here so I hope my post made sense!
So, it's 50/50 on the white vinegar and water then? Good thing to know, Kim!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks guys!!!
You would never believe it....I was just vacuuming and sucked one of his poos up the vacuum cleaner Now my whole vacuum cleaner stinks!!! So I've got the steamer going again but after I've steamed it, I'll white vinegar it (I clean all the cages with white vinegar so I've always some on hand!). He did this under molly's cage...which is in the room next to his litter so he didn't forget that one! The original spot I found poo has been comletely blocked off but I can't block off under molly's cage very easy...I'll just be checking there before I vacuum again! I'm making alex clean the vacuum cleaner out. It is going to be one **** of a job and he told me today that if we ever split up Milko is his....that equals his responsibilty as well to me! (All the other animals are mine so I have to clean up after them all, all the time, it's an effort to get him to feed them for me)
He must be marking his territory...I mean FOUR poos outside of his tray in a couple of days....he usually only goes once a day! I better be able to combat this soon cause let me tell you, people think dog poo smells...IMO cat poo is one thousand times worse!!!! And dogs don't tend to hide it!
My house smells like cat poo! I have made the executive decision to block him off out the back of the house for a few days.....incase it is a laziness thing, he will be much closer to his tray and it's less corners for me to look behind. After those few days I'll let him have access to the rest of the house again, but only when I can watch him to catch him in the act. I hope this is easy to sort out! I haven't smelt any pee around....just his poo and they both smell significantly different. At least I now know why I kept smelling poo for!!! Next time I won't be assuming anything and will be going on a massive poo hunt! He's lucky I love him!

Jackie, there isn't really anywhere to put a second tray...the whole house is carpeted except the laundry, kitchen (ew...no litter tray in there) and the bathroom and he doesn't go in the bathroom! I'm not too keen on putting a litter tray in my dining room or loungeroom either

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 04:03 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Carmen, I don't mean to laugh but ewww what your vaccuum must smell like, hahaha!!!
It will take time, but I know you will eventually get Milko to using the litter box
Hugs for efforts

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 09:57 AM

Due to his age I really don't think its a territorial thing. I could be that something spooked him and he didn't or couldn't get to his box. It could be he doesn't like the litter. If you find anymore poop put it in his litter box and then put him in the litter box so he can sniff around. It may also be that he had to go and since his poops are now solid Biscuit is not cleaning him any more and he just couldn't get to the box on time. I also think that the scent of the former cats has a LOT to do with it. As soon as you said that the former owner had 3 cats it immediately sent bells off. He is so little that he smell other cat bodily functions and thinks oh this is wear I am supposed to go and goes. He doesn't really know yet the he isn't supposed to.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Miss New Booty

Good points, Dena! I didn't think about him maybe not liking the litter, either! What kind are you using? The sand or clay? Or something else? That's possible he doesn't like it....I would bet that lady didn't clean the carpets well and he still smells her kitties, too.

Awww Carmen!!! Oh my goodness!!!!!! Did u get it all cleaned out?! Cat urine smells pretty nasty, too! I hope Milko doesn't do that!!! Oh trust me, you'll know if you smell it! I don't blame you, I wouldn't have a litter box in my kitchen, either. I know it's hard to find other places to put the litter box, too.

I hope all is ok! Let us know how he's doing ofcourse!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Newborn Pup

Cat poo response

How old is your cat, and is he fixed? A big problem with male cats is that as they get older and reach the point of being in heat, they will use the bathroom in a variety of areas for marking their territory. My cat used to do the same thing when he was 6-8 months, and after he was fixed, he stopped almost instantly. He had a few accidents, but a few reminders of the cat box and he was fine.

GeorgetteDragon

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgetteDragon
How old is your cat, and is he fixed?
Good thoughts, GeorgetteDragon. Milko is just a baby kitten though, about 6 weeks old.

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks guys!! I'm using a recycled paper litter....it's what I use for the bunnies cause they like to eat it so it won't clog up their system. I didn't yell at him or anything like that.....just locked him in the laundry with all of his toys so I didn't get angry at him! I realised that he must be doing it for a reason, I just wanted to know what it was so that I can fix it!!! It is possible he got scared when he did it under Molly's cage...shadow was out and she has attacked him before. she doesn't attack him anymore but he probably still has that fear inbuilt in him right now. I'll keep an eye on him and just cleaning up after him if he makes any more mistakes...hopefully we'll combat this soon!

Oh and we got the vacuum all cleaned up too. It's lucky we have a Dyson cause you can basically pull the whole thing apart and clean everything....if we had our old vacuum cleaner it would have been impossible to clean it!! And Alex cleaned it without any complaints too.

Tags
litter box, litter tray, male cat