Will the new kittys be ok with my rats??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Exclamation Will the new kittys be ok with my rats???

Ok i think this is the right place..
Im getting 2 new 8week old girl kittens on friday im adopting them and in a few months getting them neutered.

I have a very serious question cause i am worried.
I have 2 rats they are in their freddy 2 cage in the hall way but to get to the kitchen and the stairs you need to go out into the hallway .. will the kittens try and kill them ? i am really worried because i dont want to put my rats at risk or the kittens so what should i do ?

I cant put the rats in the kitchen because the kittens litter tray and food,water is going in there but i will be in the house when they are allowed in everyroom but when we need to go out we are keeping them in the kitchen untill they get abit older.

Will the kittens be ok with the rats ??

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

they should be if introduced at a young age, and taught quickly that the rats are not toys and are not to be touched. many people have rats and cats and they are all ok

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

How should i do it ?
My boyfriend said hes to scared to let the kittens anywhere neer the rats.
But i said to him they will be better geting introduced to them.
i dunno what im going to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 AM
RAT ADDICT

If they are introduced at a young age,they should be fine.

I got Hatchet (my kitty) when he was 8 weeks old.I introduced him to the rats almost right away,letting them sniff eachother and everything.He got so used to the rats,he didn't take on an interest to them.And once he got to close to a cage and got bit,so now he won't go near the cages anymore.I do have all the cages in a room where he is not allowed tho.

Also when I still lived at home with mom,the cats always didn't care about my rats...they were just used to them and knew that MY rats were part of the family and not prey.

But in MOST cases,if the cats grow up with the rats - they won't take an interest in the rats.Oh and also if the kitties do tend to stick a paw in the cage,the rats will most likely give them a good nip - which discuorages them from doing it again!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you can put the cat in a cage and let the rat go up to to it and climb on it and things, it shows that the rat has the power, and then you can hold the rat when the cat is near it and you can protect the rat it should make the cat be simi interested, realize its nothing it can do, and then go away

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 12:27 PM

My rats are in a glass aquarium and tucked away in a shelf where the cats just watch them like t.v. all day! LOL The rats have learned that it is so much fun to taunt the cats when they want to play too. It is fun to watch. The rats aren't afraid of the cats and the cats love the rats. Even when I am cleaning the rats cage I don't worry because I know that the rats would give the cats a good nip. My kitties have been indoor kitties forever. I don't think they would know what to do with them when they got them if they did. But I am careful anyway. One time along time ago, I can't remember what in the world happened, but it was before I got the shelf idea, I walked in and found one of my cats sitting inside of the cage with my rat! EEEEK!!!! Yep! OOPS. Well, they were both just sitting there looking at each other like, "now what?? You worked so hard to get here and now all you want to do is STARE at me!?" Yes, it was quite the scene. Thank God nobody was hurt. I have such kind hearted animals. I am quite blessed. You will be fine sweetie. You have a good heart and you will find that introducing your kittens to your rats will come naturally to you because you will be holding them both and they will just know. Pets can feel "kindness". You will know what to do naturally, it will come to you as you go. Best of wishes. Charlene

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for such courage!!
I actually introduced my dog who was about 3 to a rabbit guinea pigs and other small mammals and it went quite well so i think i have the idea of how to do it with the kittys!!

Well today we went mad on the shopping for kittys
i got 2 collars one silver and one PINK!! HAHA
Got a bed , scratching post , bowls , toys , kittyfood,
And treats so i cannot wait !!

Also what age do you take them off kitten food ?
And how many times do you change their litter tray ?

Lots of love xxxx

Ps. thanks charlene you are such a kind girl !!!
Always saying such nice things to me xxxxxx

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

it should say on the bag or you can call a vet and ask them about the food, some are a year and some are up to 18 months some are simply "when they have adult teeth then you should switch them to our brand adult food"

one thing you could do is switch them at 1 year and mix until 18 months and then be full time adult food

beware of the evil kitty: they will like non toys better than toys, they will play with the rubber band holding the $5 dollar toy and never touch the toy, they will want to play 10 mins after you go to bed, they will wake you up by jumping on you, if you fail to give desired attention they will gently remind you with a bite, they will hide for hours until you walk by then attack

then when you are busy doing something and glad they are off doing their own thing, they will know this then want to snuggle and you will stop everything your doing for your cute little babies

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Aww kendalle this sounds so much fun.
I got whiskers 0-1year kitten food the cathome says thats excellent for them because its not hard on their little tummys i feel so good that im adopting instead of getting one from some1 who's cat unexpectily had kittens.

Well i worked with cats when i was 13 for about a year in THIS cathome im adopting them out of so i know some things about cats but not KITTENS they are getting a HUGE amount of kittens in so many just abandant !! so im glad i can at least bring 2 with me instead of 1 !!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Oh, Claire, I am so excited for you. You had asked about the litter boxes. If you ask my vet, she will tell you to clean them three times a day. She is a bit obsessed. Once a day will be fine. Just think of it like... you going in to use the bathroom, would you want to go in somewhere it was dirty? Well, the same applies to cats. They want a clean place for a bathroom too. Mine are so funny. As soon as I am cleaning the cat boxes, they rush in to use them. I don't know whether it is like. . . "I'm first, I'm first!" or "Take this too!" Have fun!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

LMAO!!!!!!

Oh geez charlene you make me laugh.
Well i go overboard with my rattie litterboxes so im sure i'll be the same with the kitties i cannot wait only 2 days to go

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Playful Pup

I've had more trouble with my rodents and DOG, not my cats . I'm sure they will be fine because they are so young.

Mommy of:
Ollie: Rescued orange kitty.
Noah: 10ish year old gray kitty.
Sadie: 8ish year old Jack Russell.
Vito: 2ish year old Guinea