Woman Saves Cat from Coyotes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Change Oil

Woman Saves Cat from Coyotes

Amazing feat by loving cat owner...

What an amazing woman! Not recommended of course but... still, here is a truly dedicated pet owner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Part of the Pack

WOW! That is a really amazing story and how she managed to get the cat from them god know i wouldn't of been able too do it. I guess she got a boost from being hysterical but she is one amazing woman to have done that.

animalexpert - a life long learner

Qualifications: FdSc AMgt. N.Dip AMgt, and VetMed Cert
Working towards: BSc AMgt, A.Dip AB, Marine Zoology and Herptology
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Part of the Pack

That's amazing but people have been known to do amazing things when someone they really love is in trouble. What a dedicated pet owner.

My babies...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

wow...thats love for ya...one day I heard my little yorkie barking in the backyard and went out, and there was a pitbull with a kitten in its mouth and my yorkie and cockerspaniel were protecting the others, I never even thought, I went for the animals, the pit came charging and wow my australian shephard came out the sliding door and dove for the pit...he took the other dog down, and it ran away...4 of 8 kittens were dead, and we took the others to the vet to be treated for shock...stray cats keep having babies in our dog house because our little dogs love the cats, so thanks to Puppers we were all safe...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Horn Rapids Golf Course workers say they frequently find the remains of house cats and other small animals killed by predators, and what Bratvold did was ill-advised, said Michael Livingston, a biologist with the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

"At that point, I would have considered the cat a goner and taken it as a valuable lesson to keep my cat inside," Livingston said.

I admit, it was insane, but I feel that if this man's (biologist's) child were being mauled by coyotes, he would have done the same.

There is no way I could just sit and WATCH while one of my babies were being killed. That would be a huge black stain on my heart forever if I did that. Maternal instinct would most definetely take control, I believe.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Change Oil

What a great dog you have, Carie! Its always great to know you would do something for your pets and that they would do something for you in return. And even protect kitties! Wow...

Pihlaja, exactly! I would have gone hysterical to and probably done something! How could you not? People just don't understand that pets really do become our children.

, [username] .

Contacts are my profile.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Miss New Booty

Wow! How amazing!!!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I agree completely with you Rowan. If it were his child, he wouldn't have thought it was "ill advised" to save that child.

If there were a wild animal in the back going after Harley, I'd do the same thing. These pets are MY kids, and I will protect them no matter what.

Karen

[

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Curmudgeon

BEWARE: RANT AHEAD!

Maybe I'm the only one, but the story angers me..

If she loved her cat all that much, the cat shouldn't have been outside in the first place..

There are coyotes behind my house, I hear them singing many summer evenings. Only an idiot would let their cat out into that environment. In the story, there are cougars as well as coyotes to contend with. That doesn't sound like a caring, thinking owner. I'd certainly never let my children be unattended with that many serious predators about!

And Now, ....in addition to that, ....her health insurance company (assuming she had any) had to foot the bill for her carelessness ...and the cost will be spread out to folks like you and me. ...

...at least she had to pay for the cat's vet bill.

I think she should be cited for animal neglect, not congratulated for being an idiot..

My two cents..

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Part of the Pack

I, on the other hand, think that she should be congradulated because she learned a lesson. I hate when people say they have an animal outside and say that they've had animal run over or eaten by other animals. I hate when people can't take what happened to their pets and learn from it. Where as this lady that did have her cat out probably did know there were coyotes in her neighborhood but didn't think anything would happen to her pet. She found out the hard way and luckily her cat didn't die. I think this lady paid enough with all the injuries she got from the coyotes and with the pain of having to see her cat almost eaten by wild animals. I doubt that her insurance, if she had any, paid anything. It said on there what she had to pay to get treatment.

My babies...

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:35 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Bob, I agree with you on that she shouldn't have let the cat outside in the first place. At least she's saying now she won't let the cat go outside anymore--let's just hope she keeps that promise.

I've never let my cats roam outside because in Louisiana there are lots of dangerous animals (and people) that wouldn't have second thoughts about killing a little white cat. Occassionaly, however, Gerona would 'door-dart' outside and that alone could have put her in a position like the one Abby the cat was put in. And said I said above, my reaction and the need to help my baby would still be the same.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Change Oil

If its a dearly beloved feline... I would not allow it outside. I tend to strays and at my parents there are barn cats we take care of. You just learn its a cycle that accidents happen, sad but true. Generally, they live completely fullfilling lives and if brought indoors to live they are sometimes put in a state of discontent.

I know back at my parents the cats did door darts. If they did, you tried to catch them but a kitty that doesn't want to be caught you most likely will not catch. They were smart, they never left the yard (our yard is big and wooded). However, Callie does not get any chance to steal away outside in the city. 9 years in the country with a huge yard to roam I know she wouldn't understand the bounderies of a trailer park. Not to mention, here we've got a lot of cats that would get after her. Back home, they stayed mostly at the barn.

I'm glad this woman has learned a lesson... and luckily not at the expense of her cat's life.

, [username] .

Contacts are my profile.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

The only animals I leave outside are my pet pygmy goats. I'm so paranoid that we put up 6 foot wire fences around them. I tell you if I ever so a bobcat, coyote or bear threatening them, I don't think I would hesitate to do anything to save my goats. Two were bottle fed babies and are truely my pets.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.

Tags
pet owner, stray cats, white cat, wild animal, wild animals