Worried - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

Worried

I have been away on vacation for a week (disneyland) and when I got home my other half said that our cat had had several more seizures...I am so worried...the doctors are running all kinds of tests, but they believe its from her brain damage...before I left she had probably 6 in a 4 week span, we know when they are going to hit and how to handle it, they say don't panic but HELLO shes my baby...the vet thinks there may not be alot of options left for us, shes been on epilipsy meds and such, but the doc thinks when she was fighting with what they believe is FIP and she was running all those high fevers that the brain damage that she occured is the cause...

Mama is going on 2 years old or 2 years with us, she was 6 weeks old when we got her...I hate that shes going through all of this...Ken says I may need to start thinking of "options" but the vet says shes not in pain from the seizures, it will just be a problem to handle...I say as long as shes not hurting and fully functioning and goofinf off she will have the best and most happy life...with ME...is it selfish? I love this kitty so so much...I would like some advice on what others think and if I should maybe look for a new vet to see about other treatments...

I know the brain damage is there, we have known since she recovered from her near death ordeal when we first got her...shes my miracle baby, the vet said she wouldn't live through that, then she said she would never make it to a year old...shes here and happy and way playful, shes just a little loopy so we pad walls that she seems to think if she walks into enough they will get out of her way...

so what does everyone else think? I just want to hear from someone who is not emotionaly invested in tis because from an emotion stand I just can't put her to sleep till her quality of life is gone...help please

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

If she is happy she should not be put down. Would you put down your own child if he or she had brain damage or epilepsy? To alot of us ...our pets are our family. Our pets have taken on may of our charactoristics. Examples: Allison, my dog, went on a 1 week round trip from san antonio to amarillo to albuquerque back to san antonio. This weekend we will hopefully go to port aransas, you know what I did? I called around for a pet friendly hotel. She goes every sunday with my husband to the store for the newspaper. There is a man down the street that has a dog that is paralyzed. He got the dog wheels so he could get around. He takes his dog on walks. What I am trying to say is as long as your cat is happy and he is not in any pain let him live. The decision is yours. Like you said as long as she is not hurting and goofing off.
Have you thought or asked about meds for the epilepsy?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

shes been on epilipsy meds, as I stated and trust me my animals are my babies...I love this kitty alot, if I didn't I wouldn't have faught so hard when we first got her to keep her alive...I do not want to put her down, the people in my life think I should start to think about it, they are not so sure about her not hurting, and they worry about the financial aspect...they would never go through all I have for a cat, sounds mean, but its true...

Mama (socks) is so funny and she is my love bug, I just was looking for other ideas as what to do, I hate what she has to go through, but I guess I just wanted someone to validate that putting her down was no option at this time...so thank you for that

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Adolescent Pup

I used to work at a whole foods store that also had a section for herbs and such. Alot of my customers had taken the herbal route due to the fact that the man made drugs had compramised their kidneys and livers to the point of irreversable damage. You may want to contact a holistic vet or herbologist. They may be able to assist you in finding someone who is reputable. After all...herbal remedies have been known to be more effective than man made drugs. Good luck on your search. Remember...shes happy.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

I think they let us know when it's time.
You will know when it is time.

When I was young we had a cat that got brain damage at about the same age as your kittty. We found him in his box in a coma (we don't know how or why though) and the vet diagnosed him with cerbral palsy and said he wouldn't live to see his first birthday and that he should be put down. Well, my older sister didn't want to put him down right then and he lived to see birthday # 11!! He was such a happy and content kitty too!!
So you can't go by the odds, your kitty sounds like a fighter and may still have a long while to be with you yet.

Sending lots of good health vibes her way.

Diane~ owned by~ 7 cats, Chuckie, Spyder, Winnie, Stormy, Crystal and Francine
3 ferrets, Shoops, Rocky and Jazzy
and a hermit crab, Zoidburg
RIP Roo 1989-2005
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How is she today? I do hope that she gets a bit better soon, and that you have more time with her.. When the time comes you will know, and I hope you dont find it too hard to make the right decision for her.. Take care and hugs to Mama..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

thanks everyone...she hasn't had any seizures in 2 days...we are looking to change her diet though, probably back to the kind we have to get at the vets, she has IBS and shes got a sore hind end...but the seizures have let up a little...

She is a fighter and thats why we have been fighting for her, we had her 1 day when she got very very sick, we took her back to the feline foundation and they never even looked at her, just gave some meds...the second day we took her to our vet and she gave an IV for dehydration and tons of different meds as well as a new diet, she bounced back after along time...the brain damage was from sever high fevers and prolonged seizures...she is a forever kitten...and we love her a ton...

thank you all for the encouragement, I think me and mama needed that alot right now...today she was hanging upside down off the arm of the couch beating up the dogs so thats a very very good sign

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer

thank you all for the encouragement, I think me and mama needed that alot right now...today she was hanging upside down off the arm of the couch beating up the dogs so thats a very very good sign

That does indeed sound like a good sign! I'm glad to hear she is doing better!

Diane~ owned by~ 7 cats, Chuckie, Spyder, Winnie, Stormy, Crystal and Francine
3 ferrets, Shoops, Rocky and Jazzy
and a hermit crab, Zoidburg
RIP Roo 1989-2005
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

shes almost back to her old self...the vet started us on a new diet and some new meds...Mama is being a goof ball right now, shes chasing my little yorkie all around (the bigger ones chase her so I guess its pay back) I wonder if she understands that Penny is a dog and not a toy lol

thank you all for the good vibes

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

I am so glad she is doing well.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear all this. I have a cat with siezures, I know the heartbreak this brings to watch them go through having a seizure.. You feel so helpless and it's scary. Snuggles has Epilepsy, but he thankfully hasn't had to be put on meds yet because my vet said for now it wasn't necessary because he hasn't had them on a frequent basis. How long do her seizures last would you say?
I'm so glad she seems to be doing better, that's great news!!! She is a fighter. Keep us posted. Your in my thoughts and I hope things continue to get better!

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

still no seizures so we are so happy...shes has bouts of this...a period were we have like 30 seizures in a week and then none for a few months...just makes me so sad to watch her go through them...they last anywhere from seconds to minutes, depends on whats going on around her...

shes a very very active cat, runs all over the house chasing balls, bugs or the dogs...shes also just down right bueatiful (proud mommy here)

shes so spoiled...has a specific feeding time and if her food is not there right then she comes and gets you, she only wants filtered water lol and she loves to have very soft blankets...so yeah we give into anything we see that makes her happy...

thanks for all the good vibes, they are working and it means alot to us...thank you

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Miss New Booty

Glad to hear she is doing alot better!

~* Jackie *~

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 12:14 AM

You might want to check this link, for a support group;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/epi-felines/