Worried for Emma - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Worried for Emma

Emma has taken an interest in running out of the door whenever we open it the older cat is indoor outdoor and Emma runs out with her or if we are leaving. We are careful that she is not around when we open the door or that someone is holding her but she is very wiggly and VERY fast and will come out of nowhere before we can catch her. This isnt like a hamster where its like just find out where she is escaping and fix it. I already considered baby gates she is too good of a jumper. I have now started taking her out on her leash and harness to see if that will dampen it.

I am SO worried she will get out and get hit and she is only 4 lbs she wouldn't survive and this has me so scared for her safety please any advice would be great.

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Betta Bomb

Hm, leash training her will either help her cravings for outdoor exploration or help her learn how outdoors is a scary place! Illusion used to want out, so we took him on his harness and he realised how much he feared it.. YET, he always thrived and ran for the doors. Recently he got out and remained so for 5 nights, 4 days. Much distress he caused.. Cats always want to explore. That's why there are so many cliche's and fables containing lessons about cats.

Screen storm doors can help. As can clicker training. I'm not an expert on clicker training but I know you can train any behvior with it! Maybe search around Google on clicker training cats?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

thats the thing she runs out then gets scared but it doesnt bother her enough to stop her

Proud Mommy to-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Betta Bomb

I offered my advice. Try a clicker, there are many links to help you. Other than that, just be really careful opening and closing the door. Some cats are quick, and if she's predicatably there trying to dart out then just take an extra second opening the door. Storm doors help with that too.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I already said we are trying everything but I do not believe in clicker training we have a screen door that that does nOt help her being sneaky and fast Emma also has no attention span she cant even focusing on eating she runs into glass doors daily

Proud Mommy to-

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You got the same situation on one episode on Cesar Milan's Dog Whisperer, you need exercise and training to "tsst" or firmly say "don't" or "stop" whenever your dog trying to run out the door.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Emma is a cat and I do not believe in Cesars methods. I love Victoria Stilwell but either way dog methods will not work on cats or I would not be having problems I can train dogs

Proud Mommy to-

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Betta Bomb

Hm, people are offering advice. You don't have to sound snub to them. You asked.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Wishbone called Emma a dog dog training methods do not worth with cats

as for your idea ... I merely said Clicker training will not work.

I was more hoping for Somebody to respond

Proud Mommy to-

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
as for your idea ... I merely said Clicker training will not work.
Why do you say that? I've clicker trained cats before so I know it can work. Although in this situation I think management is more the key (having an extra barrier in front of the door, even if just to slow her down, being very careful, etc.). Does she like a certain type of treat or toy? You could distract her while you leave (throwing a treat or mouse toy, for example).

The harness training may work, too, but I don't have experience with that (although I've used them for bunnies).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I say it merely because Emma is SO easily distracted she would just play with the clicker ... she forgets she has a tail daily I think her father may be her brother but she is healthy so thats good.

She doesnt get treats but I could easily distract her with a toy anything that moves she wants to be a part of ...

We are very careful but if you are carrying something out the door it can be difficult

we have the door and the screen door she would easily clear a baby gate ... I dont know what else to try

She is harness trained but its because she likes the car and I am all about her safety

Proud Mommy to-

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

No treats at all? They can be handy!

It sounds like the toy could work, though! Good luck, I hope you figure something out, it must be scary when she runs out.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

she is 4 months old and we dont want her super spoiled ... Honestly she wont even eat wet food Idk that she would eat treats

and yeah I will just keep one on the table by the door ... I'll let you know how it goes.

And Thanks It is really scary she is SO tiny and I dont want her hurt

Proud Mommy to-

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Betta Bomb

didn't everyone agree that daily wet food is beneficial?? Anyway, that's not the issue here.
Toss a toy, might work. And YouTube "clicker trained cats". I just did and there's a lot of videos. You can probably find a guide as well.

Treats won't spoil her!! lol If anything, they can be used as an aid in training. She is only 4 months old so she is still young and active. Temptations only have 2 cals per treat!!

Edit, I should mention- cats have been used in psychological experimentation called "shaping" and "operant conditioning" which focuses on their natural tendencies and rewarding good behaviors. Rewarding these things makes the behaviour occur again and again. I found this video pretty helpful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q787R2DNDJI

Last edited by Purple-Hops; 09-09-2011 at 03:07 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I said She wont eat it not that it isnt offered that was different I was saying she wont even eat wet food so i doubt she will touch treats

And please dont criticize how I am raising my cat I know her better than anyone and she is VERY healthy and wont touch treats little oddball I give the older cats temptations and she wants to play with their tails she doesnt want treats

Emma is a natural at most things she is good with my rodents is amazing about the litter box doesnt fight her harness too hard

Its just running out thats the problem and she gets rewarded when she doesnt do it.

I did mention she has been doing much better about it right? She will even lay by the door and watch us leave now

Proud Mommy to-