You can't go potty there! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

You can't go potty there!

Okay, my family has adopted a stray cat, Okie-Dokie. We found him already fixxed, and declawed, and I'm guessing he is maybe between 2-3 years old. For the most part he is a wonderful cat. But his two problems are this, one he will hiss and swat (and ocasionally try to bite) if you come at him to fast with your hands or if you move something past him quickly (Like once I picked up my notebook and he spat and swatted it), two he doesn't seem to like going potty in the litter box. The second one is the real problem at the moment.

He's shown me before that he can use the litter box, but I'd say about 80% of the times when he pottys inside (We still let him outside, so most of the time he goes potty out there) he goes somewhere else, like a corner, or, like in the case of this morning, the kitchen sink.

Obviously, we can't just let him go poo in the kitchen sink whenever he wants to, so I need some suggestions on how to break him from this habit.

I have a feeling that the reason he doesn't like to "go" in the litter box is because when his previous owner declawed him the pain from walking back and forth to the litter box while his feet were still healing registered in his mind as "walking to litter box = pain = don't go potty in litter box".

Anyone have some suggestions on how to work with him to get over this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Miss New Booty

How wonderful for you to take this kitty in!

Hmm that very well could be with the declawing issue. I have heard of many cats not wanting to use the box again because of it being associated with pain, like you said.

Has he been in for a full vet check-up yet? And he is going both all in different places of the house? My other thought would be a urinary infection. Cats that are suffering from a urinary infection may urinate in different parts of the house, ie: the tub, sink. But if he is going both.. wow that's a hard one.

There is this litter that is really good, you can get it at Petsmart, etc. called "Cat Attract" Dena told me about it. (I have a situation with my Snuggles urinating but my vets think its behavioral)
Here is a link if you want to see. It attract them to the litter box.

http://www.preciouscat.com/

Also, what kind of box do you have? Some cats do not like covered boxes. (That is why my cat Snuggles started doing that) How many boxes do you have right now? Sometimes they say to get more than one box. Are there any other kitties at home?

I hope I could be of some help and I hope everything is ok. Keep us posted.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for your help!

He hasn't been in for a vet check-up, my parents seem to have something against vets... It's not up to me, I try, but I can't really do much, unfortuately.

I actually don't think he's going pee in the house at all, and if he is I haven't found out where he's doing it. ...But, then again, he very well could be. My sister's cat, Angel, isn't fixxed and she pees all over the place when she's in heat, so I might be assuming some of the pee is Angel, when it's really him. I don't think so, though.

We have two litter boxes, but one of them isn't out right now (I've been a little lazy about getting around to washing that one this month, so it's just empty right now...), both of them are uncovered. There are two other cats in the house.

Tags
litter box, litter boxes