28 horses - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

28 horses

I need to learn 28 horses names by TOMORROW! Any ideas? Started a new job with Leon Harrel. For those who don't know www.leonharrel.com And they hired me just with a phone interview! I need to get this basic stuff down so I can move on to grooming and feeding. First I need to learn names and positions. HELP!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

try turning it into a song kinda like jingle bells thats how i learned my times tables example jingle bells jingle bells 2 x 2 is 4. make a game out of it.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM
is a little "special"

Do you need to just know the names, or know the different horses? I always try to remeber one unique thing about the horse's markings so I can tell who is who LOL.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Betta Bomb

wow. That might take longer than one day!! Remember your short term memory only hangs on to information for a little while. So, go over their names a couple times and then take a power nap. Sleeping helps your brain restart and reset itself. I usually find it works at exam time. Read for a bit then sleep then wake up. Cue cards also make for incredible memory testing. Write the horses name on one side, and on the other side write a distinguishing feature. Go over them a couple times, take a nap, go over them again.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

I have a few pictures of the horses but am missing a few. Hopefully I will figure out the rest with the ones I have. I'll post pictures soon

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

I need the names so I know who to grab and saddle when they ask for them

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Photos

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:25 PM
is a little "special"

Ahh, I see. LOL, I've grabbed the wrong horse a couple times when I was just starting to ride them, and I felt pretty stupid.

They are all SO cute!!!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

That is the LAST thing I want to do at this job! This guy knows his stuff so I want to learn as much as I can! And hope to make good impressions!

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Official Loofah Tester

People learn different ways. Some learn to music, some learn visually, etc.

Me, I learn visually and associatively, so I'd think of funny little free association things to go with them. Like the mare "Cat" (can't tell her color-brown, black, bay?) has a white pennant flag on her face complete with flagpole. I popped an image of a battle flag with a snarling cat as its standard.

Chestnut "Spook" has a poorly defined star on his/her forehead that looks like those indistinct ghost photos on paranormal sites. It even looks like he's got white speckling across his chest and face to go with that nose snip. So he's covered with ghostly 'orbs'.

I'd also make a cheat sheet to keep in your pocket just in case with your own shorthand. Like "Cat /M /Flag /Br" =Cat/ Mare/ Flag Marking/ Brown Color.

...Or whatever works best for you.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 05-04-2011 at 09:14 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Cat is a sorrel and your right she kind of does. She won't be hard to reconize but the ones that aren't usually in the barn are going to be a little harder. I know a few I don't have pictures of because they're the only of their color but I'll keep working...

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Betta Bomb

how is it coming along?? Aw I wanna touch and pet them all!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

I learned all the ones that are there. A few aren't there at the moment. One, Holly, who I got a picture of today, is very timid due to a few guys being a little too rough with her. I went in and she had a bit of an attitude and turned her rear to me. I had a pocket full of treats so I pet her and gave her one and by the end she was following me and wanting me back. Spook tried to take my shirt off me, but he's a big flirt. He knocks brushes over just so I will bend over to get them lol. He nuzzles my neck and all that. He LOVES attention. OH OH OH. And Holly doesn't like her medicine but I took a little bit extra time and let her know what was going to happen and I got her to take it no problem...well most of it. I didn't put it all the way back so she spit some up, but she was ok with me still so that made me feel good. I am officially suburnt and sore...but I can't think of any job I would rather have!

I mean where else can you PLAY with horses and get paid for it? I work 6 days a week, 9 hours a day, and spend 2 nights there. Play with horses and learn more! I mean...best job ever for me! And I raced a tractor lol. Well had to jump fences so I could open gates but still had to beat it.

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Betta Bomb

That sounds like a wicked job! Congrats!