Blanket or No for a Horse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Blanket or No for a Horse

I'm not sure whether to blanket my horse this winter...she is a 9 year old Paint/Welsh/Arabian Pony...definitely not too thin, she is a little on the tubby side She has a good fur coat. Here in Iowa it is usually around 10-20 degrees, and at night usually in the 10 degrees and under, often in the below zero's. There is a shed in her field for her to go in. We had a blanket on her last year, but I'm not planning on riding her too often this winter so I don't want to mess with a blanket if I don't have to. Will she be too cold without a blanket in below zero weather?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 PM
canis lupus familiaris

When I worked at a ranch, we would only blanket animals at the owner's request or if they looked uncomfortable. I wouldn't worry about it much if she is stocky (not just tubby...stocky lol.)

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How warm is the shed? if it is a nice barn with insolation and such i wouldn't worry too much about it, but if it is just a wind block i would think she would be cold.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Newborn Pup

I think blanketing really depends on the individual horse. Age, condition and previous environment should play very large factors in your decision. That said, I live in Michigan and never blanketed a stalled horse, just because they are out of the weather most of the time. If they're in a field with minimal wind protection, I would put on a windbreak (not necessarily anything with fill). For an older horse or one that is recently moved from a mild climate, use something with fill. Oh, and if your climate is moist AT ALL, get a waterproof blanket!

Tags
blanket, horse, winter