Can you have too many horses? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Question Can you have too many horses?

I have two beautiful paint mares that I purchased, one late last Fall and one during this Summer. Because of my health and because one of the mares had a baby by her side, I haven't gotten to ride either of them but a couple of times. Now, I am feeling somewhat better, but finding it hard to work two horses and give them both the attention that I want to give them. They both need work because they have been out to pasture for so long, but are both good horses. I'm thinking I should pick the one I like best and sell the other to a good home and concentrate one just one. I just love them both, but I am getting nowhere with them the way I am going. What should I do? They are both so beautiful and it will be hard to give either of them up, but I think it is for the best. Help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Smile

How much work do they need? Are they pretty trustworthy but just a little "rusty" from not being ridden much? Or are they in need of extensive work?

I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. I have 3 horses and I haven't been riding as much as I used to. My 2 older mares are great. They can be left out to pasture for months at a time and then I can pick up a bridle, put it on them and ride bareback with no problems from them. My third mare is green broke. She's at my cousin's house getting more riding time in. Anyway, my dilemma is whether or not I should sell her...I've been thinking about it for years but everytime I looked out in the field at her I'd think "maybe I'll just hang on to her a little longer and try to squeeze in training time for her." Now that I'm pregnant, there's no way I'm getting on a green broke horse. That's why she's still at my cousin's house. I've also contemplated leasing out my 2 older mares until after my baby is born and a little older. In all honesty, it's not hurting them to stay out in the field and live life in the slow lane.

Sorry, I got to rambling about my situation. If you do sell one, how much time will you have for the other one? Enough that she will be happy out in the field by herself? Horses are herd animals and are happier with another horse if you don't have a ton of time to devote to them. Of course, you could always get a goat or sheep if you thought she was getting lonely. Even though I don't NEED more than one horse, I will always have at least 2. Plus, if someone actually wants to go riding with me, I have an extra horse for them to ride.

Rhonda

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Hi, Scarlette. Well, first of all, due to where I have her boarded, she will never be alone in the field. She has other buddies. But, down the road, if I should ever have to move, that is a good thought. My problem is, I don't "know" these mares well enough to put any one on them yet and I am just now trying to get used to them myself. When I purchased them, I only rode them once and then had them delivered from out of town. Their owners swore up and down that they were bomb proof, but I'm just not feeling that quite yet with them, but again, I have only ridden each of them twice. I need to give them a chance. I would have more time for one horse than two, just because when I go out to spend time with the horses, I take alot of one-on-one time with each of them... grooming, etc. Because of a nasty fall I took back in April, alot of my confidence is gone and I am working back up to it and have to move slower than most. The horse that threw me, was only green broke, (we found out too late) and we have since sold him. I just don't know what to do. I feel bad having my husband spend so much on the boarding fees for two horses when I am only getting to ride one at a time. I guess I am having a big bit of guilt right now. He's not complaining, but I just wish that my health were better so that I could spend more time out with the horses like I had planned, but it has just been one thing after another. And, both of these horses do need alot of work. They are past being green broke, but they are far from being able to being able to just "jumping on them and going". Or maybe it is me. I am still trying to figure that one out too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Does the place where you board them give riding lessons? Can you maybe do a lease type of thing....say, you let them use one of your horses for lessons with other people and you get a discounted boarding fee? That would give one of the horses more time under the saddle but yet technically she would still be yours until you've made a decision for sure whether or not you want to sell.

It's hard to say because I'm not in your shoes right now, but I think if I were I might consider selling one (if the lease thing isn't a possibility). Down the road you might have more time and feel up to having a second one.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. I know it's hard once you get attached to them. I hope your health improves soon.

I also wanted to add that I'm sure you'll gain your confidence back. You sound like you're pretty devoted to getting over your fears. Just take your time and do what you're comfortable with and I'm sure you'll be galloping around the fields in no time. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Rhonda

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 05:43 PM

I don't think you can have too many horses. I have 5 of my own and I own a horse boarding facility/ working ranch. I have on a horse since before I can walk and broke my first horse at 12. As long as your horses were broke when you got them they might just need a little re fresher course. and maybe while your spending time rideing one you can pony the other for a little while so she doesn't fell to left out.

Sometimes I feel like I live in a zoo, but then i realize I have more animals than most zoos have to deal with. I've got:
300 goats
253 cows
5 horses (Shadow, Thunder, Hitch, Star, and Comet)
4 turtles (leonardo, raphel, michoangelo, donnatello)
3 dogs (bear, cleo and lilly)
3 fish (romeo, alpha, and beta)
2 cats (princess and baby)
2 llamas (mattie and charli)
a snake (cobra)
a lizard (scale)
and a bird (max)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Scarlette, I wanted to say thanks for the words of encouragement and sorry it took so long to get back to you. I have had a migraine that has lasted over two weeks and it is still hanging on from day to day. It will pass. Now, for the horses... They used to teach there (lessons), but they stopped in July. And, like I said, I just don't know these two mares well enough to put anyone on them yet and really feel comfortable with it yet... (liability and all). And as for selling, well, I guess everytime I go out there and look into their eyes and look at their beauty and conformation and see how we have bonded, I melt. I guess I will just try a little more. I had my farrier come out last week and he destroyed me when he talked to me about one of my mares. Just because she won't pick up her hind feet without wanting to take them back from him (she is not trying to kick him), he says he would never own her and that he would definitely sell her if I were him. I AM going to get better and I am going to work with these mares and I will show him. I know I can help her. I also have a slight memory problem and have forgotten some of my good things that I have accomplished. I took a mare just like that last year and before I was done with her, after cleaning her front feet, I could just walk towards her hind feet and she would literally pick up her hind foot for me without even being asked! All it took was a bit of kindness and a few treats she really liked. These mares have been out to pasture for a long time with nobody riding them. They are thinking that they are the ones in charge because they have been out for so long. I think with work and consistancy that can change. At least I hope.
barrelsin15sec, So glad to see that we have someone new interested in horses!! Thank you for the encouraging words. You have no idea of how much I needed them this weekend. I just talked to my sister and I know she means well, but she thinks that I should sell both of my beautiful paints and start all over. My problem with this is, no one with any real horse knowledge has really ridden these beautiful creatures to be able to give me any firm advise. I am so much in need of positive advise and encouragement. Thank you both!