Cribbing! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Cribbing!

One horse that I see almost everyday has a really bad habit of cribbing. The owner, my friend, has tried putting a cribbing strap on him, but it doesn't help at all. I'm getting really worried about him because he has lost a lot of weight recently even though he eats plenty. Is this related to cribbing? I really don't want him to get thinner or even more hurt from cribbing. I don't know what to do!!! I'm really scared for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I've seen a supplement in one of my horse magazines thats supposed to stop cribbing. I don't know if it works or not, but I'll try to find it and post it for you. I'm not sure about the weight thing, but Scarlette can probably give you more answers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Thanks! Please find the article, cuz I'm going up to see him later today, so I want to know as much as possible to stop him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oops, actually the supplement stops them from chewing wood and its called Quitt. Sorry, I thought it was for cribbing. I can't find anything on cribbing besides training the horse and making things taste or feel unpleasant. There are a lot of horse people on this forum that probably have some more ideas though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

That's okay. Everyone makes mistakes. I don't think making things taste bad will work cuz we would have to coat two huge pastures, his stall, and the post near the cross ties with that stuff. That would take forever and he would find other places to crib on! He's too smart fo his own good.
I hope I get answers very soon for his cribbing problem. I don't want for him to die!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
I hope I get answers very soon for his cribbing problem. I don't want for him to die
Why isn't the horse's owner having him seen by a vet? It sounds like he needs veterinary attention.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I know... But the owner is weird. She thinks she can handle it by herself, and I don't want to get her mad at me and never let me see Sly again, so I've been dropping subtle hints. She also says she had the vet see him a few days ago. Yea right!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I have owned 2 cribbers and it was really annoying. The cribbing straps don't work because the horse figures out that if they stretch their neck out enough then the strap won't put any pressure on them.

My first cribber loved fence posts. I made up a concoction of flour, black pepper and water and made a paste to put on the posts. I had to reapply it every other week but it seemed to deter him. They also make spray stuff to put on the areas that the horse likes to crib on.

My second cribber would do it on any object that was near her. I finally bought a muzzle/basket type of thing that latches on to the halter. She could still eat and drink just fine but she figured out how to get a small corner of wood from the hay feeder through the holes of the basket and would still crib. There was no stopping her and I would just turn my head when she did it.

The horse might be losing weight because the cribber swallows air, therefore his stomach feels full and they don't eat as much. I would recommend that he be checked out by a vet just to be sure!

Rhonda

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Yea, the woman was thinking about getting a muzzle. I'll try to convince her to get the vet to give him a check up.

I would buy thespray stuff to put on all the things he cribs on, but that would take an entire day! poor Sly!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Cribbing is not something that can be stopped. You can do things to try to deter the behavior but a cribber will always crib.

Make sure your friend has the vet check the horse's teeth also. They may need to be floated (the sharp points filed down). Also, the vet should take a stool sample and check for worms.

Rhonda

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Thanks for the info! My friend was already going to have the vet check his teeth, so that's good. I'll tell her that when I see her tomorrow, I don't have her phone # so I can't call her today. It's not like the vet is going to come see Sly today, since it's a holiday.
I can't wait until he gets seen by a vet!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 01:31 PM

Curious here, I know nothing about horses so what exactly is cribbing?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

It's when a horse puts his teeth on an object like a fence post and sucks air into his stomach. This let's the horse feel like he is full, so he won't eat as much. Cribbing can come from numerous reasons like being in a confined space that is too small, being bored for long amounts of time, etc.

Many horses have this problem, but there is no cure, which is really aggravating!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm glad he's going to be checked by a vet. I hope that he's ok and that your friend can find a way to deter him from cribbing.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Aww, thanks! I hope so too!