Foal Loosing Hair-Answers Please? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Foal Loosing Hair-Answers Please?

My family and i just recently got three horses that weren't properly managed and cared for. A mare and her yearling and foal. We're trying to get them settled in before calling a vet so that's why I'm just posting at the moment. Anyway, The foal is about four weeks old at this point, and when we got him about two weeks ago he seemed perfectly healthy-nice coat and the whole deal. Just over the past couple of days he seems to be loosing hair around his nose and on the insides of his legs, and a few other small patches elsewhere. There doesn't seem to be any signs of irritation or bumps or anything. It just seems like he had a lot of itches and rubs a little too much. I tried to look up reasons for this, such as the adult coat coming in or some other explanation but could find nothing. If anyone could help me, please respond asap. Thanks. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Newborn Pup

sometimes our mare would do this but it was because she would get skeeter bites and they would bother her so she would rub....are you sure other horses are not nibbling on him and causing this we had on horse eat the others tail

4 dogs Molly Gremilen Clutch Charlie
4 cats Piggy Biscuit Mister LIL Man
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

maybe he itches at bugs? maybe try spaying him with horse bug spray and see if it helps

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I don't think it's bug bites of any sort because there are too many patches and there is no irritation. and the other horses don't bug him much, sometimes the mare nips at him when she doesn't want to nurse but not hard at all, and not very often. And we use a fly spray on them that works pretty well. I'm just worried that it might be something serious.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

then i'd call the vet.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Another thing you can try is bathing the little one (if possible) with T-Gel. My mare had mites one time and she had some scally patches and the T-Gel is magical . But like already said a vet is a good plan to start with .

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Horses-70...k-old-Colt.htm

I think this is the answer i was looking for. He turned 6 weeks today, & this seems like what hes going through. And i did notice today that there is fur growing on the patches. Thanks for your advice everyone. =D Hopefully this is it and the baby is okay.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm sorry that I didn't see this until now.

All foals lose their "baby hair". It normally starts out around the eyes, ears and legs. It's completely normal.

Rhonda

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Adolescent Pup

Are you sure he isn't just loosing his foal coat? Foals have a reallly fluffy and soft coat that holds alot of dirt and warmth in lol and they loose it then they start looking funky. But filly I sold was loosing hair on the inside of her legs too but it just went away from spraying fly spray on her.

Mister Go Figure -four year old bay 17hh tb gelding
Margarita, Nyla, & Felix - 3 year old domestic short hair cat, grey kitten
Bunni Bunni - won at a fair albino bunny
Bud - (yellow/green)3 year old parakeet

Dash & Beanie - beige hooded & agouti hooded rats
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 AM
Newborn Pup

if its itchy and flaky and bare patches it could be rain scould especially in spring time. my horse has recently had it.
if hes white or grey they catch it much easier
hoe it helps
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Newborn Pup

If he is loosing hair/rubbing try a conditoner, or bathe him with some Tea Tree shampoo. Usually that helps with dry skin for horses
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

this thread is pretty old

[/CENTER]

Tags
foal coat