Friesian Horses - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Mud
Part of the Pack

Friesian Horses

just wanted to post some info on these animals.

here is a link to a place that raises them, they have TONS of great photos in their gallery...
www.friesian-magic-team.com/photos.html
and here is some information on them.

~!~copy-paste~!~

History and Origin of the Breed

The Friesian Horse originated in Friesland, one of twelve provinces of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (Holland), situated in the northwest of Europe. Friesland is an old country dating to 500 B.C., when the Friesians settled along the cost of the North Sea. They were tradesmen, seafarers, farmers and horse breeders.

The Friesian horse descends from the Equus robustus. During the 16th and 17th centuries, but probably also earlier, Arabian blood was introduced, especially through Andalusian horses from Spain. This has given them the high knee-action, the small head and the craning neck. Because of his temperament the Friesian horse is considered warm blooded. The Friesian horse has been kept free from influence of the English Thoroughbred.

From records of the past we know that the Friesian horse of old was famous. There is information from as early as 1251 and there are books in which Friesian horses were mentioned and praised from as early as the 16th century.

Armored knights of old found this horse very desirable, having the strength to carry great weight into battle and still maneuver quickly. Later, its suppleness and agility made the breed much sought after for use in riding schools in Paris and Spain during the 15th and 16th centuries. Before an elegant carriage this breed has few rivals, and throughout Europe the royal courts used them as coach horses.

An excellent trotter, the Friesian was used for racing short distances in Holland, the winners being awarded silver or golden whips. Today in Friesland there are may carriage events and often the sjees, the Friesian form of the chaise,are seen. This unique two-wheeled cart may be drawn by one or two horses, and aboard are a gentleman and a lady dressed in the traditional costumes of the 1880s. The sjees is one of the few carriages in which the driver is seated on the left; his lady occupies the right-hand side, the place of honor. Four-in-hand carriages are common and as many as ten-in-hand can be seen in front of light carriages. These large, unusual hitches used for demonstration purposes are becoming very popular. The Friesian people take great pride in the natural ability of their black horse in harness.

The well-known English writer on horses, Anthony Dent, and others are of the opinion that the Friesian horse influenced the Old English Black Horse and the Fell Pony. Dent proposes that the Norwegian Døle (Gudbrandsdal horse), which shows great likeness to the Friesian horse, must have got there from Friesland either as booty or by regular trade. The Northern Swedish horse was greatly influenced by the Norwegian Døle. Dent also suggests a Norwegian influence on the English Dale pony. In the Pyrenees in southern France there is a pony "Ariege called after Merens" (Ariege dit de Merens) that looks remarkably like a small Friesian horse. The resemblance of the types mentioned can be traced back in some cases to the influence of Friesian horses, in other cases the similar way of breeding will have caused the similarity.

As early as 1625 Friesian horses were being imported into what later would become the United States of America. The Dutch founded New Amsterdam in the region they discovered in 1609, but they had to abandon it to the English in 1664, when the name was changed to New York. Advertisements in the papers offer trotters of "Dutch" descent. These must have been Friesian horses. The able writer Jeanne Mellin proposes in her books The Morgan Horse (1961) and The Morgan Horse Handbook (1973) the possibility that this well-known American horse is of Friesian descent. The ability to trot fast, the heavy manes, the long rich tail and the fetlocks at the feet of the original forefather of this breed may be an indication.

The breed was totally lost in North America due to crossbreeding. Tom Hannon of Canton, Ohio did not reintroduce the horse to North America until 1974. By 1983 the popularity of the Friesian in America had grown enough to support a national association and a national show.

Breed Characteristics

Friesian Horses are always black. White markings are not allowed on the body or legs. They have a long, thick, flowing mane and tail and pronounced fetlock hair. Under no circumstance is it permissible to dock the tail of a Friesian and, in fact, trimming of any hair from mane, tail or legs is frowned upon.

The Friesian Horse holds it head high and proud with an arching neck. The animated gait is natural.The body is strong and deep with a sloping shoulder. The rear quarters are sloping with a somewhat low-set tail. Registered Friesian stallions must be at least 15.3 hands by the age of four and mares must be at least 14.3 hands. The mares average about 1300 lbs., more for males.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

heh i love frisian horses! i used to chat with a guy that lived in Friesland, he lived accross the street from a horse farm and would send me pictures all the time, i was soo jealous! there soo beautiful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 12:40 AM
RAT ADDICT

I love them! One of my favorite horse breeds!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thats wonderful information! I have been looking at a Friesian to buy..hehe

<3My "Fur" Kids<3
*Rascal, Avalanche: Doggy's*
~Dixon Chance: Cat~
<>Fortora Farms Grey Arrow: Mini Colt<>
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Playful Pup

Friesians are my second favourite breed, Andalusians being the first.

But if/when we move, we're going to hopefully purchase a Friesian mare and stallion, and hopefully breed Friesians, Andalusians, and part-breds. I think we may just concentrate on the purebreds though.

They are beautiful horses though.

~ Tralissa Andalusians Stud ~

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Guarded by Waffles

oh come on people! What about a paint horse? I guess I prefer their beauty because 1) I have one and 2) I like their multi colors

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Dies! *drools and floods the planet* What I would give to have a freshy I love them.

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
oh come on people! What about a paint horse? I guess I prefer their beauty because 1) I have one and 2) I like their multi colors
Paints are my favorite kind of horses If I ever get a horse I would deffinatly want a paint!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Part of the Pack

Oh I love Friesians! They are so beautiful! I would love to have one but they are sooo expensive!

Horses simply love running around.They enjoy flexing their muscles, arching their tails in the air, rising up powerfully on their hind legs, and then thundering off at full speed. In between the gallop strides they buck exuberantly and toss their heads joyfully. After repeating their show a couple of times, they pause for a moment to look around with widely flared nostrils, as if to ask: Has everyone seen us? Aren't we simply fantastic? We urge them to move again. They react on the spot, hooves flying with delight.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Guarded by Waffles

All right Michelle! I love my paint, though she is too smart for my own good LOL. She runs from me whenever I pull the halter out. Oh well.

Good information on Fresians though!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out