Gaited Horses - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
What the shell! :)

Smile Gaited Horses

I have a standardbred who can walk,trot,canter, gallop and pace. I recently went to the equine affaire and learned how to ride a gaited horse. They showed me how to get your horse to gait from just pacing, even though my horse is a standardbred I think he is capable of gaiting.
Anyone have a gaited horse? this is what I learned...the slower they are going the better to get the gait out of them, doing a half-halt helps them to get into the gait.

My problem is I have never done or learned how to do a half-halt, if anyone can explain it a little better that would help me out, but I think I got what she was saying.

She also said to give them their head, because the more natural the horse can bob it's head the better they'll be able to move.

She showed how going over ground poles helps too...I use ground poles with my horses anyway because it helps just better riding.
I have always had gaming and trail horses though, never any horse that wasn't a Quarter horse or an appaloosa type. But I love my standardbred, I so want another one, he has the sweetest disposition and very good motivation and willingness.

But if anyone has one or knows how, I'd love to hear your stories and advice and see pictures!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
our lil family
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I know!

I know how to ride/do a half-halt but there is no way I could ever explain it lol. I found a link that might help and if it doesn't I'm sure there will be someone who knows how to explain it to you lol.

How do I Ride a Half Halt?

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats