Homemade horse treats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Homemade horse treats

Just thought I'd share.

Homemade treats gathered from around the web.

Special Note: Horses should not be fed peanuts, because they cannot digest them and it clogs their intestines. According to one vet, peanut butter will not hurt them. Please use your own judgment or check with your vet when in doubt.

Sticky Treats

apple or carrot
corn syrup
quick oats

Cut apple in half. Take core out. Roll in corn syrup then oats. Do the same for a carrot. My horse loves this treat and it only takes 30 seconds. Kaija

Lizzie's Rivendale Peppermint Treats

2 cups of flour
1 cup of oats
1/4 cup of molasses
10 crushed peppermints
2 apples

Mix flour and oats together. Add molasses if the mixture is not doughy. Add water slowly until it is doughy. Add peppermints and apples. Cook until golden brown at 350 degrees. Your horse(s) will go CRAZY. Lizzie Burt of Riverdale Equestrian Center

Banana-glazed Apple

1 apple
1 banana
1 handful of ice cubes.
A blender.

Cut and peel banana. Put into the blender with the ice cubes. Chop and blend it together until creamy. Cut the top off an apple and carve out the middle. Fill the apple with the banana mixture. Put top back on. Pour the rest of the banana on top and over the sides of the apple. Serve. This is really easy to make and my horses love it! Megan and Cindy's Sterling Boy, Cindy, and Oakie.

Rosey's Delicious Munchies

1 cup dry oats
1 cup shredded carrots and apples (or either or)
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup molasses
Little less than a 1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients first then add everything else. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Your horses will enjoy then very much! Keep in fridge until ready to give to your 4 legged friend!

Happy Oats N' Trail Mix Balls

5 chopped carrots
Molasses, as much as you want
2 cups oats or quick oats
Any type of grain

Soak carrots for 15 minutes. After they have soaked, place them in a large bowl. Add molasses. Stir until carrots are completly covered with molasses. Mix in grain. Add more molasses until grain is covered. When you have done all the steps, roll them in the oats and form a ball. Wrap the balls in foil and freeze them. When you're going to hit the trail, just let em' thaw! Emily Parkes

Magic's Mealtime Magic

1/2 Apple
4 Carrot Chunks
Molasses (as much as desired)
Oatmeal (as much as desired)
1/2 cup Warm Water (about)

Mix oatmeal and water together until it becomes warm mushy ball. Sprinkle apple and carrots on top. Pour molasses on top. Dedicated to Magic my wonderful pony. Mary Kate Hart

Buttercup's Buttercupcakes

3 packages apple-cinnamon flavored oatmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup water
Molasses
1 apple, cut into chunks
Peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix oatmeal, flour, and apple chunks together. Then pour enough molasses to make a doughy texture. Use an ice-cream scoop or your hands to make dough into balls. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake until golden brown. After cupcakes have cooled, spread peanut butter over the top for "icing." This recipe is guaranteed to be a hit with your horses! Kelly

Mr. Jingles Nickers n Neighs

1 cup dry oatmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup shredded carrots or apples
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup molasses

Mix ingredients in bowl as listed. Make little balls and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Frank and Ped's Sticky Treat

1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups complete horse meal or any grain mix
1/4 cup seaweed meal
1/8 - 1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup Lucerne Chaff
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

Combine all dry ingredients, mixing well. Add vegetable oil and milk and mix until all are combined. Add the egg and mix again. If the mixture isn't moist enough, add a little more water or milk. Cover the container with Gladwrap and leave overnight. Feed as a treat. My horses Frankie and Pedro love it!

Bugsy and Nugget's Delight

1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/8 cup pancake syrup
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped apples
Pinch of dry oatmeal

Mix flour, vegetable oil, and pancake syrup together first. Once batter is made add the carrots, apples, and oats. My friend and my horses had the honor of trying it first, so we named it after them. They loved them! Nikki

Penny's Carromints

Small scissors
Carrot
6 or 9 peppermints

Slice the carrot into two or three pieces, and cut off the ends. Hollow it out with the small scissors and take out the insides. Set aside. Crush 3 peppermints and put in one of the hollow carrot pieces. Take note: Make before your lesson or feeding and don't make when humid! I found all that out in one day. Penny, a lesson horse I ride, loved them and had the honor of eating them first. Emily and Penny

Nightlight and Rebel's Tasty Mix

1 apple sliced into small pieces
1 handful corn
1 handful uncooked oatmeal
A little bit of powdered sugar to sprinkle on top
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 handful grain or favorite treats
1 handful cheerios
3 tablespoons syrup, honey, or molasses

Mix corn, oatmeal, apple slices, grain, cheerios, and salt together. Drizzle on syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Chill in refrigerator over night. Horses love this! Victoria

Tayler's Treats

1 large apple
Molasses
Honey
Sweet grain
Dry oatmeal
Oats
Shredded carrots

Cut a small square around the stem. Take it off and set it aside. Hollow out some of the inside. Take the molasses and the rest of the ingredients and mix them together in a bowl. Pour the mixed ingredients into the apple and put the top back on. This treat will sure be a taste bud surprise when your horse takes a bite out of it. Store in refrigerator if not fed right away. Do not cut up the apple. Have your horse take a bite out of the side and work it's way around. Tayler

Pete's Peppermint Patties

1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup grain
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup flour
Peppermints

Mix all the ingredients except for the peppermints. Take a peppermint and put it in the middle of a ball of the dough. Bake at 350 degrees for 21 minutes. This makes about 8 patties. You may double the recipe as many times as you want. Erin

Head Bobbers

My treats are called Head Bobbers because when my horses eat them, they "bob" their heads with delight.

1/4 cup molasses
3 or 4 apples, finely chopped
1 cup carrots, finely chopped
2 tablespoons corn oil
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup bran or grain of your choice, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large cookie sheet. Mix apples, carrots, oil, and molasses. Then mix in oats and flour. You can either spread the mix on a cookie sheet and break apart after they are baked, or roll the dough out and cut into cookie shapes. Cook for about 20 minutes. Let cool. Erin

Cassidy's Carrots

1 carrot
1 golden delicious apple (You may use any type of apple, but this is Cassidy's favorite!)
Molasses

1. Core apple
2. Cover the inside of the apple in molasses
3. Shove the corrot inside the apple hole
4. Pour molasses into a large plastic bag and put in the apple with the carrot in the middle
5. Close the bag and shake very well
6. Wet hands slightly
7. Pull apple out of bag and feed to your horse

I hope your hose enjoys these treats. Cassidy loves them! They are a great holiday treat too. Alicia and Cassidy

Holiday Bran Mash

2 cups of three different kinds of feed
1/4 cup rice bran, optional
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups water
Peppermints
1/2 cup sugar
2 carrots, chopped
1 apple, losely cut

Mix feed, honey, and water in a bowl and put in the microwave for 2 minutes. Add more water if needed. Add sugar, carrots, apples and mix well. Add peppermints. This mash can be refrigerated and reheated before serving. Be sure that the mash isn't too hot before serving to your horse. Carole and Unusual Fire

Wesley's Wonderful Bran Mash

1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 cup Grape Nuts Cereal
1/3 cup molasses
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 package Oats and Honey bar, crushed
1 apple, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/8 cup flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Mix ingredients in a big bowl. Let chill before serving, and only serve 1 cup a few times a week; because you don't want your horse to get a stomach ache. The good thing about this mash is that all the ingredients are optional. You may use whatever ingredients you want. This is just a guideling. I hope your horse likes it. My horse, Wesley, loves it when I give this to him! Jackie

Horse Tacos

Tortillas
2 cups molasses
Sliced carrots
Sliced apples
Sliced grapes
Bucket of sweet feed

Mix sweet feed and molasses. Then mix in the sliced carrots, apples, and grapes. Wrap the mixture in tortillas and serve. Fred, Dixie, and Mardi love them! Claudia

Nacho Horse Treats

This is an ingredient:
Nacho's Famous Horse Treats Ever!

Additional ingredients:
1 cup oats
1 cup water
1/3 cup molasses
1 tablespoon honey
Shredded carrots
Shredded peppermints

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir oats, water, molasses, honey, and shredded carrots. Let sit for 10 - 15 minutes. Put all ingredients except peppermints on a greased pan, and bake for about 20 minutes. Take out of oven and sprinkle with shredded peppermint. Let cool. Your horse will LOVE them! Audrey

Halloween Horse Treat

My horses like their Halloween treats.

I get a small pumpkin and remove all of the insides being careful to get all of the seeds. I then fill it with a mixture of sliced apples, carrots, grain and whatever other kind of fruit I have on hand. I put the top back on it and give each horse their pumpkin. They have fun squishing the pumpkin to get the treats out. Most horses will even eat the pumpkin. Lisa

Cracker Box Cookies

Cracker Box Palace Farm Animal Haven in Alton New York presents Cracker Box Cookies! Our horses will run over us for these treats.

2 cups quick oats
2 cups bran
2 cups corn meal
12 ounces molasses
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup flour

Let stand for 1 hour. Shape into cookies using about 1 teaspoon of dough. Place on a baking stone, and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the edges are browning.

Horsie Pie

3 sliced apples
2 teaspoons honey
8 peppermints, crushed
2 handfuls oatmeal, plain
3 teaspoons peanut butter
1/2 cup applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix honey, 1 handful oats, peanut butter, and applesauce in a bowl. Stir and put in microwave for 45 seconds. Spread apple slices in a baking dish. Add mixture on top of apples. Sprinkle peppermint and one handful of oats on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until peppermint melts. Once the peppermint is melted, it looks strange; but your horses will like it. Let cool until warm and sprinkle a little sugar on the top. Feed a little at a time to make sure it doesn't upset your horse's stomach. By Kasey for my Arabian Kiki and my Halflinger paint, Bubba.

Horsey B-Day Cake

4 cups sweet feed or oats
1 cup molasses or honey
3 carrots cut into sticks and shreds
1 apple

Mix the honey and sweet feed or oats together in a big bowl. When mixed fully together, place the mixture on a plate and shape into the form of a birthday cake or a carrot. Use your imagination. Use the carrots as candles and garnish the rest of the cake with apple and carrot shavings. Horses really enjoy this sticky but delicious treat, and it's really fun to make too! Shannon

Horse Oat Cookies

1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup uncooked regular oatmeal
1 1/2 cups grated carrots

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes and cool for one hour. Don't eat! Only for horses! Safe cooking! Christy

Whisper's Banana Apple Treats

Apples
Bananas, very finely chopped
Honey
Powdered sugar

Cut the apples into slices, and spread the chopped bananas onto the apple slices. Drizzle honey over the fruit, and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store in the refrigerator until hard or until you to to the barn. My horse loves bananas and apples, so this is her favorite treat! Lauren

Peppermint Apples

1 large apple
1 shredded carrot
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup honey
5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3 crushed peppermints

Cut the apples in large chunks and set aside. Mix the honey, peppermints, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Mix the oats and carrots in a separate shallow bowl. Next, coat the apple chunks in the honey mixture and roll in the oat mixture. Place on a plate or tupperware container and refrigerate until you feed to horses. Do not let recipe sit for more than two days. The recipe makes plenty for two horses. Enjoy! Amanda

Apple Explosion

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 spoonfuls molasses
1/2 cup water
1/4 diced apple

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients in order listed excluding the apple. Grab some batter and stick a piece of the apple into the batter so it cannot be seen from the outside. Do this to every cookie, and place them on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Jack's Snack

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 spoonfuls molasses
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup diced carrot

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add ingredients in order listed. Place batter in round balls on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Pumpkin Horse Style

Grain
Molasses
Dried apple flakes
Oats
Apple
Any little things that your horse likes

Cut out all of the insides out of an apple like you are carving a pumpkin. Put in a layer of grain, molasses, and apple flakes. Add another drop of molasses. Add as many more layers as you can fit using anything you want, or use the same ingredients. Pellets, shredded carrots, bran, and alfalfa all work. Once you have made all of your layers, put the top of the apple back on like you would a carved pumpkin. If you add bran, make sure you add hot water to the bran first. Rose

Sarge's Surprise

Molasses
Carrots, sliced
Apples, one for as each horse you are going to feed
Oats
Raisins
Peppermints, crushed

Using a spoon, take the insides out of an apple. Mix what came out of the apple and all your ingredients together except the peppermints. Put the ingredients into the apple. Sprinkle the peppermint pieces on top. Sarge loves them!

Mike's Nummy Apple Cinnamon Muffins

1-1/2 cups apples, cut small
1-1/2 cups carrots, finely chopped or shredded
3/4 cup oatmeal, Quick Oats works great
1/4 cup apple juice
4 teaspoons molasses
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Some cinnamon sugar

Cut apples and cut or shred carrots. Use a few larger chunks of apple. Add them in a mixing bowl with oatmeal. Add apple juice, flour, brown sugar, and molasses. DO NOT put cinnamon sugar in yet! Mix together. If runny add more oats. If it isn't sticky, add more molasses. Put mix into a lightly greased muffin pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 8 to 10 minutes. Take out one muffin at 8 minutes and see if it is cooked. Enjoy! Megan and Mikey

Poe the Goblin's Luvies

5 strawberries
1 cup Golden Grahms
2 1/2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup crushed peppermints
4 baby carrots
2 cut apples
1/2 cup cinnamon
1/4 cup peanut butter
raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour all ingredients into a big bowl, and mix well. Shape into balls and place on a cookie sheet. Cook for 15 to 19 minutes. Poe loves them so much. Maggie and Poe

Holiday Treats

1 cup flour
1 cup Grape Nuts cereal
1/4 cup light corn syrup (Karo)
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon peppermint extract
A few drops of food coloring (I use red)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together. Roll into balls or other shapes. These treats work well for holidays. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crispy. Feed to your favorite horse or pony. Kris

Duncan, Rocky & Sunny's Sticky Surprise

1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup molasses
1 SMALL cut apple
4 chopped baby carrots, or 1 large cut carrot if you don't have baby carrots
2 cups flour
2 cups Cheerios
2 strawberries
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup Rice Crispies cereal
Add some of your horse's favorite treats to make it special!

Put ALL ingredients in a large bowl, and stir it together. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Let it cool for about 30 minutes before feeding to your wonderful horses! Carly & Duncan, Lindsay & Rocky, Jennifer & Sunny

Nightlight and BannDannaRamma's Cherrio Snacks

1 cup finely crushed Cheerios
1/3 cup oats
Grape juice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pour the Cheerios and oats into a bowl, mix well. Add just enough grape juice to moisten the mix and make a little sticky. Roll into 1/2 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. This is one of our horse's favorite treats! Victoria and Adam

Italics' Kissey Cupcakes
Makes 6 Cupcakes

What you'll need:
1 cup cinnamon oatmeal
1 tbsp. wheat flour
1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 tbsp. honey
1 shredded apple (not the seeds-these are poisonous!)
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
Crushed mints, golden raisins, some shredded carrots, grain, or a favorite treat inside also make these treats irresistible!

In a large bowl, mix the oatmeal, water, and honey. Put the mixture in the microwave for about 2 minutes. In a separate bowl, mix wheat flour, brown sugar, shredded apple, and extra ingredients. Combine the contents of both bowls, and put this mixture in the microwave for about 2 more minutes. Heat the oven to 375 degrees, and depending on oven they should finish cooking in 10 minutes. Then add sprinkles, and let cook for 5 more minutes to get them crispy. Italics loves these treats, she even gives me kisses after! From Katie Blackwelder

Wanna's Birthday Appleight

Large apples
Powdered sugar
Brown sugar
Honey
Molasses
Oatmeal
Large carrots
Cheerios
Peppermints
3 bowls

In one bowl, mix all the sugars together. In another bowl, mix the honey and molasses. In the last bowl, finely cut the apples and carrots and mix with the Cheerios and oatmeal. If you want, you can also add some of the horse's grain or favorite treats. Pour honey and molasses mixture into the bowl with the apples and carrots. Mix. Pour the dry sugar evenly over the apples and carrots. Top with peppermints in the container that you will be using to feed your horses out of. Wanna loves this on her birthday or at shows! Lauren

Alycia's Cookies

1 cup oats
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup molasses
1 tablespoon honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir all the ingredients and let sit for about 10 minutes. Scoop the mixture onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes. Let them cool. They will look rubbery and burned, but they really are not. Horses love them warm or cold! Alycia

Yummy Horse Biscuit

3 cups buscuit mix (instructions listed below)
1 or 2 carrots, coarsely grated
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

Hint: Make biscuit mix first

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine biscuit mix, carrots, and sugar in a large bowl. Gradually add water to make a soft but not sticky dough. Knead about 15 times on a floured surface. Divide dough into 2 sections and roll each with a well flooured rolling pin to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 inch round biscuit or cookie cutter. Bake until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Makes about 40 biscuits.

Biscuit Mix

10 cups flour
1 2/3 cup instant non fat dry milk
1/3 cup baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cups shortening

Combine all ingredients in a large Tupperware bowl (8-10 quarts) that can be covered and refrigerated. Add all ingredients and mix with a mixer VERY well. Mixture should look like fine crumbs. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator. It will last about 3 months. Makes about 15 cups of biscuit mix. They make a great gifts to hand out to your horse friends.

Nightlight's Surprise

Half an apple cut up in VERY small chunks
1 cup malt o meal
3 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup molasses

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together all ingredients in order they are listed. Grease cookie sheet, and make about 3/4 inch balls out of your mixture. Place the balls on the sheet. Cook for 20 minutes occasionally checking on them. Wait for a pretty long time for the horse treats to cool before feeding to your horse. Enjoy! Victoria

Nightlight and Starlight's Icicle Treat

1 extra large carrot
Apple chunks, optional
2 tablespoons peanut butter
3 tablespoons honey
Powdered sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Hollow the carrot so that it looks like a small canoe. Spread honey all over the outside of the carrot, and roll it in powdered sugar. Spread the peanut butter inside the hollowed part. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of the peanut butter. If you want to use apple chunks, scatter them on top of the brown sugar. Drizzle honey on top of the brown sugar. Nightlight and Starlight love them. Enjoy! Victoria and Olivia

Hamilton's Favorite Cookies

1 cup apples, cut small
1 cup carrots, shredded
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 teaspoons molasses
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar

Mix everything really good, and put small balls of mix onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake cookies about 10 minutes. Make sure the cookies are cooled before you serve them to your horse or pony. Have fun, Kelsey and Hamilton

All That Jazz's Lip Smackin' Horse Treats

Gingerbread dough
Apples, grated
Carrots, grated
Oatmeal

Add apples, carrots, and oatmeal to gingerbread dough and mix thoroughly. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake at 300 degrees until they look like gingerbread cookies. Let set until room temperature. Serve to your favorite pal as a holiday treat. Katie and All That Jazz

Breezy's Favorite

1 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup shredded carrots or apples
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons corn or vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup molasses

Mix the ingredients into a large bowl in the order they are listed. Make small balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Leave them in the oven until they are cool, and they will harden. I have found that horses don't like soft treats as much as if they are hard. This is one of my favorite recipes. All of the horses at my barn love it! Emily

Mrs. Paddock's Treat

4 cups wheat flour
3 cups oatmeal
1 egg
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup molasses
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup hot water
3/4 cup applesauce

Preheat oven to 300 degrees and grease a cookie sheet. Mix oatmeal, flour, and brown sugar together. Mix in the egg, vegetable oil, applesauce, and molasses. Add hot water and mix well. Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut shapes using cookie cutters or make balls and flatten with a floured glass bottom to 1/2 inch thick. Place on a cookie sheet and bake 1 hour. Turn oven off when they are done and leave the door shut until they are cool. This will make them crunchy. My horse Jackie loves these treats. Linsey

Bonnie's Bonbons

Molasses
Crushed mints
Carrots

Cut carrots into 1/4 inch pieces. Drizzle molasses over carrots. Sprinkle with mints. Enjoy as my Bonnie does! Paige and Bonnie

Bandit's Favorites

2 handfuls of baby carrots
2 apples, diced in big chunks
2 handfuls mini pretzels
2 1/2 cups molasses
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cinnamon
2 serving packages or 2 cups dry oatmeal

Mix together and leave on counter uncovered until it is room temperature. Serve to your favorite buddy on a plastic spoon, and let him lick the spoon. They love it! Kali

Nightlight's Delight

1 large hollowed apple
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons oatmeal, uncooked
1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
1 - 2 tablespoons grain
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 grated baby carrot, optional

Mix together the oatmeal, brown sugar, grain, carrot and scoop into apple. Drizzle molasses on the top. Enjoy! Victoria

Smoky's Rice Crispies Snacks

1 box of Rice Crispies cereal
1 apple or 1 carrot, diced
Molasses
Sugar cubes, optional

Mix all together. Flatten to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out with cookie cutters. Serve to your horse. In memory of my dear horse Smoky who died on April 1, 2002. Lynda

Peanut Butter Oat Cookies

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup whole wheat flour

The mixture should be the consistency of cookie dough. If it is too thick, add more water.

Combine water, peanut butter, and flour. Mix well. Cut into shapes or roll into balls. Sprinkle oats on top, and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Tina

Marcus & Bo's Colorful Horse Muffins

3 cups oats
2 tablespoons honey or molasses
2 cups water
1 shredded apple
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar or white sugar
2 drops food coloring
Crushed peppermints (optional)
Raisins (optional)

In a bowl, combine oats, water, and honey. Mix well. Put in the microwave for 2 minutes. Add shredded apple, brown sugar, crushed peppermints, food coloring, flour, and raisins. Replace in microwave for 2 more minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin tins. The muffins will not rise. Put in oven for about 15 minutes or until lightly brown. These muffins are dedicated to Marcus and Bo, the sweetest horses on earth! Katie & Eliza

Chester's Choice Treats

1 cup flavored or non flavored oats
1/2 or 1/3 cup water depending on consistency, chewy or crunchy
2 to 3 baby carrots
Handful raisins or small apple chunks
1 teaspoon butter
1/3 cup brown sugar

Mix ingredients. Roll into balls or flatten and cut into shapes. Place on buttered cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Rachael

Bapples

1/2 cup peanut butter
2 large carrots
2 apples
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup oatmeal

Heat peanut butter in microwave until creamy. Grate carrots, chop apples. Add all ingredients except sugar in large mixing bowl. Mix together and sprinkle sugar on top of the treat. Store in a pie plate or bowl. This is Chief and Yogi's favorite treat after a big ride. It is also a great reward for good behavior! Nikole and Heather, chief and Yogi, horse and rider forever!

Twilight's Minty Molasses

Molasses
Mints
Sugar
Oats (optional)

Put a dab of molasses on a mint. Sprinkle with sugar and oats. Twilight goes crazy over them! Alicia and Twilight

Molasses Baked Apples

1 apple
1 tablespoon molasses
Brown sugar

Preheat oven to 365 degrees. Cut the apple in half, pour 1/2 tablespoon molasses on each apple, and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 365 degrees for 5 minutes. My horse LOVES them, and he is very picky about what he eats. Melissa and Scotch

Tasty Pastry

1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
Shredded carrots
Diced apple
1 cup water
1/4 cup equi-pellets
1/4 cup smashed fruit loops
1 egg beaten

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. If dry, add more water. If watery, add more oatmeal. Make into balls or shapes. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes. Put in a jar or baggy and give to horse. Makes great gifts. My two horses, Rusty and Callie, love them. Callie just had a baby and the baby is always trying to nibble on them. Amy

Oatmeal Muffins

3 cups quick oats
1 Tablespoon molasses
1 Tablespoon honey
2 1/2 cups water
2 carrots, loosely cut
Peppermints (optional)

In a bowl combine oats, molasses, and honey. Mix well. Add 2 cups water. Mix and put in microwave for 4 minutes. After 2 minutes, add carrots. Continue to cook. Take out and heat your oven to 375 degrees. In a greased muffin tin, add your mixture. They won't rise, so fill them to the top. Bake until the tops are lightly golden brown. When done, remove and add a peppermint on top of each muffin. Serve when cool. Carole, Shadow, and Sassy

Khally's Apple Mash

Sweet feed
Molasses
Oatmeal
Bran
Large chunks of apples
Warm water
Powdered apple cider mix

Amounts will vary depending on how many horses you feed and what their tastes are. Use your own discretion. Mix first 4 ingredients together in a bucket until coated with molasses. Sprinkle powdered cider mix and stir together. Add warm water to desired consistency. Stir in chunks of apples. Serve warm and take some rags with you. There will be a lotta' sloppin' goin' on. Note: You may use flavored apple oatmeal in place of powdered apple cider mix. Lori and Khally

Barney's Special Treat

1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup oil
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup uncooked Quaker Oatmeal
17 baby carrots chopped very small

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the ingredients in big bowl. Keep foil on ungreased cookie sheet. Make the dough into about 1 inch balls. It will make about 17 balls. Put them on the ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-13 minutes. Let them cool about 30 minutes. Place in a BIG Ziplock bag. Close the bag tightly and mash them all together so it makes big crumbs. Store at room temperature. Then serve to your hungry friend. I'm sure your horse will love them. I know my horse, Barney, sure does! Enjoy, Mallory Kolpin and Barney

Healthy Equine Popsicle

1 cup carrot juice
1/2 cup apple juice
Carrot bits and pieces and/or apple chunks
1 teaspoon sugar
About 2 long carrots (optional)

Mix carrot juice and apple juice together. Add the sugar and mix until it has dissolved. Add the carrots and apples. Place in ice cube containers for bite sized pieces or put a long carrot in the center of a small bowl half way through the freezing process. The carrot will act as a stick. Put in the freezer overnight. My horse Cheetah loves these! Hannah

DESI'S DELICIOUS HORSE COOKIES

1 cup oats
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup finely diced apple
1 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup water
1 cup flour
teaspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Preheat the oven to 360 degrees. Stir the ingredients into a sticky mixture. Roll the mix into balls with your hands. About a heaping spoonful of the mixture makes each ball. Grease a cookie sheet and arrange the balls on it. Bake for around 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before feeding to your horsy pal. The treats can be stored at room temperature in a jar. They make a great gift for your favorite horse, or friend's horse. Enjoy the treats! Megan These treats are in memory of a great little mare named Desi, who died of colic in late June of 2002

Mister's Treats

This recipe was developed for Mister when he was losing his baby teeth. During that period, he could not eat carrots, apples, or hard commercial treats. He loved this special treat!

1 quart Nutrena Life Design Youth
2 cups Quaker Oats
1/4 cup salt (The extra salt helps to keep infections away from the teeth and acts as electrolytes)
3 carrots, finely grated
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup hot molasses
1/2 cup corn syrup

Combine youth feed with carrots, salt, and oats in a bowl. Mix well. Heat molasses and add with corn syrup to the mix. Add applesauce and mix. Roll into balls and bake on a greased cookie sheet at 200 degrees for an hour. Let cool and place in a container to stay fresh. Tyler

Amber's Favorite Treat

1 apple
8 baby carrots
2 teaspoons sugar
3 tablespoons water
2 heaping tablespoons Quaker Oats (optional)
1 sandwich sized Ziplock bag

Chop the apples into medium or small sized cubes. Chop the carrots into thirds or fourths. Put the chopped ingredients into the bag. Add the quaker oats, sugar, and water. Shake until all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Stephanie

Shortie's Strawberry Sweets

A few strawberries
Sugar
Molasses
Paper plate for mixing

Put some molasses on a paper plate. Take some strawberries, cut the tops off, and roll them in the molasses. Then sprinkle some sugar on the strawberries. Shortie Loves them! Hilary

Vicki's Muffins

1-1/2 cup bran
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup of molasses
2 tablespoons corn oil (it can be any vegetable oil)
1 egg, beaten

Stir together bran, flour, soda, and baking powder. Mix in milk, molasses, oil, and the egg. Bake in GREASED muffin tins at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Your horses might fight over these cookies! Tara

Magic's Pizza Treats

1 or more plain rice cakes
Molasses
Apples
Carrots
Any small treats your horse loves

Coat the rice cake with the molasses and decorate like a pizza with any small treats your horse loves. Magic loves them! Elizabeth

Hershey's Arabian Apple Kisses

Apple slices
White/brown sugar
Oats
Apple sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set apples aside. Combine oats, sugar, and apple sauce in a large bowl. DON'T use too much apple sauce or else mixture will be too soggy. Line apple slices on a cookie sheet. Take mixture and dribble over slices so that each slice is thoroughly covered. Place cookie sheet in oven and bake for 5-10 minutes. Take out, let cool, and let your horse enjoy! Liz

Carrots, Apples, and Oats

Slice 1 apple into small chunks in a bag. Cut 3 baby carrots and put them in the bag. Add 1/2 cup of oats and 1/4 cup sugar to the bag and shake. My horse loves it! Emma

Jacob and Sage's Christmas Eve Surprise

Tupperware
Apples, large or small, any amount
Molasses, any amount
Cinnamon, heavy or light sprinkle
Oatmeal or bran, optional

Chop apples into pieces. Place in tupperware. Pour molasses over apples. Add cinnamon. If your horses don't like molasses, cinnamon sticks to apples well. Cover tupperware and shake. Sprinkle with bran or oatmeal and shake again. Serve chilled or unchilled. A guaranteed bowl licker! Abby

Apple an' Oat Mush

2 small apples
2 cups of oatmeal (dry)
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1/4 cup of molasses
2 teaspoons of sugar
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup of water

Shred the apples in a cheese grater. Put them in a bowl. Add the oats, vegetable oil, molasses, sugar, flour, and water. Mix well with an electric mixer. Add more oats or flour if too watery, or add more water if too sticky. My horse Beswick loves this after a ride. Bizzy & Beswick

Rice Krispie Bars

1 cup Rice Krispies
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 shredded apple
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup water

Mix everything together in a bowl. Make a rectangle with some tin foil about the shape of granola bars. Pour mixture into the bars then set on a cookie sheet. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook for 15 minutes or until they turn hard. Take out of tin foil and place in the refrigerator overnight or for 30 minutes before serving. Beswick Loves them! Bizzy & Beswick

Skylar's Summer Carrot Candies

3 large carrots
1/2 (one half) small red apple
3 tablespoons unbleached flour
5 crackers, the dry, crunchy kind
3 tablespoons molasses
1/2 (one half) cup Quaker oats
raisins (optional)

Peel the carrots and cut them into chunks. Size really doesn't matter at this point. Cut the apple as well. You can include the core but try to remove all the seeds. Put the apple and carrot pieces into the blender and blend for a few seconds or until finely chopped. Add the crackers and the Quaker oats and blend again until all the pieces are about the same size. Pour the molasses in and add the flour and brown sugar. Blend again until fairly smooth. There can be a few chunks of carrot but try to get it as smooth as possible. If the mixture appears to be too dry, you may add a very small amount of fruit juice. Now grease a mini muffin tin using vegetable oil (as horses are vegetarians) and flour the pan. Fill the tin with the mixture and if you like top each "candy" with a raisin. Sprinkle lightly with flour and cover with plastic wrap and put in the freezer for 3-4 hours. Serve cold.

Stuffed Carrots

1 apple
Large carrots (not baby carrots)
Sugar

Cut the ends off the carrots so that the piece is one inch long. Hollow it out. Dice the apples into very small pieces. Dice the carrot centers and mix them together with the diced apple until it's a paste. Roll the hollowed out carrot pieces in sugar. Stuff the apple and carrot paste into the large carrot pieces. Feed to your horse. Can be stored in the freezer. Kristin

Casper's Dry Treat

3 handfuls of oat and honey cereal
1/2 (one half) handful of crushed cheerios
1/2 (one half) handful of bran
1/2 (one half) large carrot grated
1 handful of uncooked regular Quaker oatmeal

Put in a small bowl. Put lid on bowl and shake or mix well with a spoon. When done mixing, put in a plastic baggie and store in the refrigerator until served. Then let your horse enjoy! This mix is great for lunch break on the trails. Jacquelyn Forscht

Casper's Carrot Cake

1 cup of sugar
1 cup of light brown sugar
1 cup of flour
1 cup of bran
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
3 cups of grated carrots
1 1/2 (one and one half) cups of corn oil
4 eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 apple, cut in little pieces

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 13 by 9 inch baking pan. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients and then add carrots, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until there are no lumps. Pour into prepared baking pans, and bake for about one hour. Check often. Remove from pan when cool. Garnish with apple slices sprinkled with brown sugar. Serve cool. Jacquelyn Forscht

Dixie's Delights
1 cup oats
1/2 cup sweet feed
1 carrot grated (cut in small pieces)
Molasses

Mix the oats and sweet feed together first. Stir in the carrot pieces. Just add enough molasses to make it just past gooey. Stir well and feed. Rachel

Smeadly's Treat

50 small carrots (cut up)
1 cup of molasses
1 1/2 (one and one half) cup of any grain
10 sugar cubes
1 cup of oats

Mix in a large to medium bowl. Smedly loves it. Enjoy!

Baby's Bran Mash

1 cup sweet feed
1 cup plain oatmeal
A double handful of grain
Applesauce
A shredded Carrot
1 tablespoon molasses

Mix the oatmeal, sweet feed, and grain together. Mix together and boil until mushy. Check it often. When mushy, pour into a bucket. I use my horse's feed bucket. Now pour in the applesauce and shredded carrot. Mix together. Add the molasses and mix. Now it's ready to give to your horse! Paige Farris

Pacos Bill's Horse Cookies

You do not need exact amounts

Oatmeal
Sweet Feed
Molasses
Applesauce
Cookie cutters if desired

Pour sweet feed, oatmeal, applesauce, and molasses together. Mix up until it looks pretty good. Pour out onto a pan, and put it in the oven until light brown at 350 degrees. Check every few minutes. Take out and let cool for about 5 minutes. Use cookie cutters to cut into shapes after cooled. Give to your horse! Paige Farris

Harley's Sweet Treats

2 1/2 cups of sweet feed or 1 1/2 (one and one half cups of sweet feed and 1 cup of oats)
1 2/3 cups of flour
1/2 to 3/4 cup of molasses
1 1/2 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of Malt O Meal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheet with Pam or butter. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl with a spoon. Add wet ingredients to bowl. Mix with electric mixer on medium until batter is mixed well. Batter will be thick. Spoon batter onto cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Mix batter between batches. After baking refrigerate cookies.

Your horses will love them. I know mine do. Erika

The next two horse treat recipes are for disabled or older horses.

My horse Al Capone broke his mouth on the race track some years ago but still has trouble eating regular horse food (don't feel sorry. He almost went to the Olympics for show jumping shortly after his jaw healed). Here are some special horse treats for special horses like my Al. anniebo1212

Al's Carrot Oatmeal

Ingredients:
Shredded Carrots
Regular Quaker Oatmeal

Instructions:
Cook the Quaker Oatmeal (regular flavor only). Sprinkle little shredded carrots on top. THERE YOU GO! A special winter treat for your horse! Al sure loves it!

Al's Special Milkshake

Ingredients:
Your regular horse grain
Hot water
A mixer or masher device of some kind
Shredded carrots, apples, or molasses (optional)

Instructions:
Heat a quarter bucket of water. Mix the grain and water. Take your mixer or masher and mix into a fine gruel. If you want, add shredded carrots, shredded apples, and molasses. Al loves this stuff! Don't give them a lot of it though or your horse might get a tummy ache. Only give about a bowl full. Put it in the feed bucket.

MOLASSES MUFFINS

1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup water
2 cups sweet feed
1 cup Quaker oats
1 handful bran

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the water and molasses. Mix until all grain is covered in molasses. Spoon the mixture into well greased mini muffin tins. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the center if fairly hard. These treats last forever and are great for trails as they don't smush. Lindsay J.

HORSE OR HUMAN TREATS

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 (one half) cup wheat germ oil
1 cup water
1/2 (one half) cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 apple, peeled
2 large carrots, finely chopped
2/3 (two thirds) cup dark molasses
10 peppermints, crushed

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl, and bake until crispy and dry. Horses love 'em and so do humans!!

ALI'S FAVORITE TREAT

1 cup of Legends sweet feed
1 cup of bran
2/3 (two thirds) cup of dry oatmeal
1/3 (one third) cup of syrup
1 apple cut into slices
2 big carrots cut into chunks
5 sugar cubes
1 cup of water

Mix right in your horse's feed bucket. My horses love it, and so will yours! Marshall Clement

E-Z SWEET FEED

2 apples chopped into quarters
2 shredded carrots
2 carrots chopped into quarters
2 cups molasses
horse oats

Mix all ingredients then add the molasses. ALL horses love it. Windy

BUDDY'S YUM YUM TREATS

applesauce
quick oats
oatmeal cookies
carrots, shredded

Mix together in a medium sized bowl:
1 can smooth or chunky applesauce
1 1/2 (one and one half) cups Quick Oats

Place oatmeal cookies on your countertop in a row. Cover the cookies with the applesauce/oatmeal mix. Sprinkle shredded carrots on top, and refrigerate the cookies until used. Horses devour these treats, and they are simple to make. Megan H of Pennsylvania

CHRISTMAS CAKE

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup horse mix [I use horse power]
1/2 cup bran
1 cup lucerne chaff
1 cup oaten chaff
3 cups molasses

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl; mix well, your hand are the best too mix this with. Put into a cake tin and flatten down. Put into preheated oven for 1 hour at 180C or 350 degrees. Take out of the oven and let the cake cool carefully as the molasses really sticks. When cool, add a little more molasses over the top and serve. Your horse will really love you.!!!! Regards Val Lapham

Let me repeat this:
Horses should not be fed peanuts, because they cannot digest them and it clogs their intestines. According to one vet, peanut butter will not hurt them. Please use your own judgment or check with your vet when in doubt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Mud
Part of the Pack

Cool!! thanks SO much for the recipes! i have been looking for some good ones for a long time!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks I'll have to try those

<3My "Fur" Kids<3
*Rascal, Avalanche: Doggy's*
~Dixon Chance: Cat~
<>Fortora Farms Grey Arrow: Mini Colt<>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

You're welcome.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Guarded by Waffles

1. Long post!
2. Those sound yummy for my horses. I bet they will enjoy them, though they are fat enough as they are lol

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

1. Yes. But can you believe this forum only allows for 50,000 characters per post? I mean COME ON!! Some people just need more.

I had almost 200,000 to begin with I didn't realize how many recipes I had.

2. hehe... So is mine!! I just keep telling myself it's only the winter 'coat'

HEY! I bet I hold the record for the longest post in PT history!

Last edited by Rocheal; 08-11-2006 at 09:01 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Those recipes are awesome!

Tags
rolled oats