Hope's Story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Head-Butts Horses

Unhappy Hope's Story

I just got this story in my e-mail. I just thought I would share.

I wish I could tell you that my story is one of sunny days and clover fields. It may some day be, but so far it has been a far cry from that ideal. If you are of the sensitive nature, you may not want to read my history.

My parentage is unknown at this time, but my new people are trying to work on that. I am a young black and white spotted walking horse filly between 2 and 3 years old. As a weanling, my breeder left me at the farm where he had boarded. We still don't know why anyone would leave a healthy happy baby behind.

The people who took ownership of me were Frank and Linda Pinsky of Morrow, Ga. Frank and Linda Pinsky didn't do too good a job of taking care of me or my other pasture mates. We were visited by animal control and the state agriculture department equine inspector and placed as ceased with their department until we all were doing better. Later we were moved to another location in Clayton County. This new home had very little room to run and frolic, but I wasn't in much of a mood or condition to act like a young horse. I don't understand how someone can profess to love horses and yet treat me in such a way. One of my pasture mates, Jewel died for unknown reasons. Jewel had made it through our last round with the state, but she didn't make it this time. I almost didn't. It took Frank and Linda 6 days to get a proper burial for my friend Jewel. It seems a sacrilege to treat such a noble companion in such a callous way. None of the neighborhood children, parents, or even the property owner seemed to think that our condition was worth reporting. Only the foul odor of Jewel as she lay rotting prompted a call that ultimately gave her a proper burial.

My new people finally were able to buy me after trying for weeks. My former owners were worried about the chance of my survival and insisted on my bill of sale stating that no warranty or guarantee as to my health was given. My new owners picked me up and took me directly to her vet for a complete physical, shots, and vitamins. The farrier immediately came out and tried to help take care of my feet, but first she had to help treat me for the lice infestation. I don't remember what it was like not to feel my skin crawling. Unfortunately it hasn't been warm enough for a bath, but we are all looking forward to washing the filth and pests from my entire body. Darla is the name of my new farrier. We are hoping that corrective shoes will not have to be used. I get soaked and medicated every day. I was given a lot of yucky medicine, wormers, and vitamins. But now I get fed four times a day and have all the hay I want.

Staici and Angela promise that as soon as my lice are all gone and my feet are okay, I can go to the pasture with all their other babies. I hope I can trust them to keep their word. So far so good! But you know how it can be with the human race. I hope they don't run out of money or hope. They hope that I will reach my full potential and I hope to never be hungry again. They tell me they are trying to bring my other pasture mates here to be with me, but Frank and Linda Pinsky want more money than they are able to offer. Staici and Angela at least called the state equine department again and now there is a new ceast on my friends. Their calls to local government agencies may or may not have done any good. Humans seem to have so many rules to protect the rights of the accused, but not many to protect the rights of the abused. Maybe some day it will be better, but I don't think it will be in my lifetime. I don't mean to sound so hopeless and cynical, but you humans haven't done much so far in my life to give me reason to think differently.

You can read hope's story on line at http://drdolittle.net/hope

**Donations are being accepted for Hope's care and to raise money to rescue Hope's friends. For donation information please send and email to [email protected]**

**If you would like a banner for your website to link to Hope's Story please email [email protected] and I will gladly send one to you.**

Staici (Dr. Dolittle)
http://drdolittle.net

Dr. Dolittle's Zoo Rescue Center
http://drdolittle.net/zoo

"Today I will be too calm for worry, too noble for anger and too strong for defeat.
Today, I will believe anything is possible...I will walk through fear without hesitation.
Today, I will stand for something. Today, I will make a difference." Author Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
animal control