Horse Chiropractic Care - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
What the shell! :)

Horse Chiropractic Care

My standardbred had to have the chiropractor out again this time it was bad. He held his head down and to the side and He stood favoring his right side and cocked his head...he just kept getting worse kind of losing balance like he stepped and his bones hurt. I called my horse chiropractor and he came out and said he was really bad (I don't even know why..because I don't ride him that much all he does is eat!) He said Ricky(my horse) had his neck out of place and his skull?!?!?! I have never heard of a skull being out of place! I guess he fixed his problem though
After he left Ricky is still kind of the same. I think he might be soar, but why is he still cocking his head a losing his balance I am so upset I don't want him to be hurt and I hope he doesn't hurt so bad that he cant get up and I would have to lose him. He said just don't ride him so I'm not...anyone have ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS ON HOW I CAN GET HIM BETTER or DO YOU THINK HE WILL HEAL AND GO BACK TO NORMAL...its only been 1 day since the chiro came (actually this morning...but my horsey and I have been through everything together)

I'm sorry if I am being emotional but you guys know how I feel you all have pets that you love.

Thank You everyone I hope you can reasure me or help...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
our lil family
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've never delt with anything like that but I know if you can get some bute (hope I spelt it right) it comes in tablits and paste, it's kind of like horsey morphine. I used it for Jewels when she had to get stitches and hurt her back tendon. It's also really good for horses with arthritus (forgive my spelling). It might help his pain, I hope you'll be able to ride again soon!!

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm not a fan of chiros (human or animal ones). My advice is to get the vet out there ASAP! With your horse having his head cocked to one side/down and loss of balance, I would almost guess that there's something going on in his ears or, worst case scenario, something neurological.

It's so frustrating when you don't know what's wrong and can't help them. One of my mares cut her back leg badly Memorial Day weekend. It's not horrendous, I've seen and dealt with worse but she acts like it's half amputated the way she's been limping around. I've had the vet out 3 times, been through 2 rounds of antibiotics and pain killers, and even had it x-rayed (it's not broken thank goodness!) and they still don't know why she continues to favor it.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank You! I am kind of iffy on the chiros too because I go to one for my back (funny coincidence -horseback riding injury) My back feels tons better now (I had 6 vertebrea out of place and found out my tail bone is naturally tilted...weird what xrays will tell ya anyway) So I know that your spine is still quite soft and movable for a while (for lack of better words) I have went about 12 times and it was getting slowly better...once I jumped on the trampoline my lower back was all out of wack I didnt' even feel like I hurt my self so I think his is still movable...maybe I rode him too soon and too hard after his first chiro appointment but it was his rump that was out and weird enough it was his skull and neck this time...so I think I will try a vet this time because that is the first thing I thought - ear infection because that is kind of weird that he is not keeping balance as well.

I have bute from a different vet visit-I gave some to him today! Thank You- I have the powder form and it smells like cotton candy mmm...too bad it wasn't for people ...lol just kidding

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

LOL I know what you mean!! I was really evil once, I had just run out of bute, I cleaned it out with hot hot water and filled it with powederd sugar . I went to my RI and I had braught dohnuts and I opened the bute and put some on the nut and ate i've never seen my trainer move so fast LOL he stole the dohnut and couldn't believe I had been so stupid, till she knew I had played a tick. I got to ride without stirrups and do a lot of posting with no stirrups ..... LOL it was worth it.

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

How is your horse doing? Any better?

Rhonda

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't been on in so long, but I don't have the net anymore I am moving and can't get to the library that much to check this! Ricky is doing a lot better I still dont want to ride hime for fear his back isn't healed yet. He isn't holding his head to the side anymore, that scared me to death!!! Thanks everyone!

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles

Tags
ear infection, vet visit