Horses and Flies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Horses and Flies

How to Help Your Horse

Insects can make your horse’s life miserable. Spring brings those annoying little no-seeums, summer the bird-sized horseflies, and fall the little biting flies that draw blood.

Your horse’s tolerance for flies may depend on his breed, color and temperament. Thin-skinned thoroughbreds have a tough time, while quarter horses seem to tolerate the bugs better. Dark-colored horses seem to suffer more from insects than those with light coats because some flies are attracted to dark colors. Whatever color or breed your horse is, he will appreciate a little prevention on your part to make his life insect-free.

Click for article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 08:44 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I don't know where you got that article from or if you wrote it yourself - I just wanted to point out that Super Sheild Green IS in fact sold in concentrate form. I know this because I have it, but alot of feed stores don't carry it because it is a little more pricey than other fly sprays. The concentrate runs about $18 and makes about 2 gallons. If you can't find it in your local feed store go to www.absorbine.com and find a dealer from there site, or go to www.jeffersequine.com, that is where I order my concentrate from. Just thought I would say that because it is a very very very good fly spray. I have horses with horrible bug reactions, espically since I live in Florida, and this along with a type of liquid cortizone medicine, called Dexamethasone makes there bug reactions none existent. If your horse has skin problems and despite your efforts nothing is working, talk to your vet and ask them about Dexamethasone, it runs about $10-$15 a vile and will last about 1 month per horse, it also has no side affects, which is the best thing. Small price to pay for your horses health....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

I did not write the article. There is a link to the source in the bottom - if you find incorrect information feel free to click that link and let the author know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 08:59 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Cool, I will do that, I just wanted to point it out for the people here on the forum.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 09:10 PM
Mia
Formerly Known as Nico

I use all kinds of repellent.The one thing that helps us is reverse turnout.I turn my hoofbabies out at night when the flys are not out.It also helps with the sun bleached coats.

:rainbow:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.