I have some Q?'s - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I have some Q?'s

I'm getting a horse sometime this year and we have horse property and a barn and our pasture is having problems but we are getting that fixed. we have my cousins horses running on our land because she got a new horse and some of the other horses will beat him up so we have her horse and my aunts fat lazy 18 year old out in our pasture at night. Alright heres the questions:
1. I'm going to run barrels and poles so what kind of horse am i looking for exactaly?
2. I want a male so are there things i should watch for or things i don't want in a rodeo horse?
and i think thats it if i have more questions i'll post.

thx!

"Heres to the liars and the cheaters and the cold mistreaters, to the mamas boys who cant make a stand, heres to the superficial players the "i love ya" too-soon-sayers, if you hear me girls raise your hand, lets have a toast, heres to findin' a good man!"- Danielle Peck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Well, you're definitely going to want an energetic horse. Something like my one lazy mare just wouldn't do well in barrels. When you're looking and riding make sure they have some "get up and go" to them. When you ask them to lope does the horse pin it's ears back or does it willingly break into a lope for you? Do you have to keep urging it to go or do you have to hold it back?

Any breed will do for barrels but it seems like a medium sized horse can cut the turns better than larger ones. I had a small Appy mare that could run like the wind and really cut the barrels hard....sometimes too hard!

As far as male horses....Don't get a stallion. Be sure to get a gelding. You'll save yourself from alot of headaches later on.

What is your experience level? Are you a beginner or have you done this before? Don't get too carried away and find the hottest horse out there if you're a beginner because I can guarantee you'll wind up seriously injured in no time.

If you have more questions feel free to ask. I've been riding for 27 years now....Western, English, speed, and trail. I stopped showing a few years ago because it was becoming more like a job. Now I enjoy just jumping on bareback and going for a nice, relaxing ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Guarded by Waffles

Informative! I have been riding for about 7-8 years now and that helped me out because I show and I only ride mares. For some reason most geldings are..I don't know but there have been a few geldings I ride. Anyway thanks for the info even though I wasn't asking

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 09:07 PM

Geldings are usually even tempered. Don't get me wrong, they can have their bad days but some mares come into heat and can be quite moody. I had one mare that I showed for years and it never failed.....she would come into heat when it was show time and would be moody. The majority of horses I've owned have been mares, so I'm used to it.

Rhonda

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, i've never actually done a real rodeo but i have been riding every summer since i was six. I usually ride a roping horse and he doesn't like barrels and poles so he tries to break the pattern and ram you into the poles or barrels and he had ran me into a couple of them. We call him grumpbutt buster because he is only happy when he is in the heading box. I have rode a rodeo horse, i was only walking through the pattern because my cousin is the only one who can stay on him running through the pattern. I know what you mean about the hottest horse out there! I was cooling down my other cousins horse and we stopped and i guess we were lined up with the poles and he started giving me so much troble. I ended up on the ground with him getting up. He reared and flipped. Thank god he didn't land on me! anyway, Thx!

"Heres to the liars and the cheaters and the cold mistreaters, to the mamas boys who cant make a stand, heres to the superficial players the "i love ya" too-soon-sayers, if you hear me girls raise your hand, lets have a toast, heres to findin' a good man!"- Danielle Peck
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i found a horse yesterday that i really like,
How do you post pictures from your computer on here?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:47 PM

Smile

You can post them using the IMG tags from a site that hosts pics (like photobucket) or you can use the "Manage Attachments" button under the Additional Options section and upload them from your computer.

I hope that helps. I can't wait to see pics!

Rhonda

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

okay lets try this,
didn't work, help?!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

This is a new horse i found today, lets see if it will work,