i need help with my pony - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation i need help with my pony

i have a pony called bella and now what is really getting to me is that every time i got to pick up her hooves is that she trys to bite me kick me back up or pin me up and i dont know what to do cause my auntie dose it and bella stands there letting her pick her hooves out?? and both of my big toe nail have fallen off and grown back again because of her standing on me. i know eww.

the other thing is that she dosent like me riding her, she used to be perfect when i was rider her but now its like she has lost trust in me and im scared she will bolt or buck with me on, she has won every horse on the stable and 2 of them was e race horses that how fast she is, and im scared i wont be able to stop her as im learning how to trot properly. i know how to handle her and control her but i have never done it when she is cantering or at a gallop and my auntie has always been there to grap hold of her and she is scared of the arena cause at the end of it there i a sheer drop and bella almost fell over a cliff so i think thats why she is scared.

i need to know how i can build her confidence and get ehr to walk to the end of the arena and then i can go from there but i really need to confidence to do it as i dont like to shout at animals and if she is being naughty and she wont walk on i have been told to kick her on and squeez with my legs but with i do that it feels like shes gonna bolt so i kick her but im shaking at the same time and i know she can sense it, so i think we both need to trust each other but i dont know were to start?

^thanks for reading this ^

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i miss you tocco and the other babies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Newborn Pup

We have a farm rescue and took in a large blind senior pony. She would push me around, back me into corners and step on me. She never bit or kicked but boy was I afraid of her and she knew it. I was the only one of three she treated badly. I notified another rescue that had experience with blind horses and asked if they would be willing to take her and she told me that if I followed her direction for 2 weeks and at the end if things didn't change she would come get her. Her advise: Don't let her bully you. There are trust issues and I had to "show" her she could trust me. When she pushed me I gently pushed back, I talked her constantly in a kind and gentle voice but when she got pushy my tone changed and she knew when I was upset with her. Slowly she began to trust me, it's been a year and a half and we're best buds. She is retired from riding but remember you're the boss not her and you can gently reminder her of that.

Good luck and I hope this helped a little.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thanks i will start trying that this saturday because thats the only time i get to ride saturadays and sundays plus she has recoverd from a massive fly allregic reactiton.

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Newborn Pup

I am sure you use fly repellant already but I found Endure, it smells good, it has lanolin in it so does not cause dry skin and it really works. I noticed you're from England, correct, so you probably don't have the same stuff we have in US. I spray her every morning before work put her mask on when its time for bed I spray her again take her mask off. I make sure to spray some on my hands and rub on her face and nose.

Good luck and I sure hope she's feeling better soon.

Lee Ann
Monson, Massachusetts
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yeah we tried everything but nothing works the fly just love bella and she is the only one who has loads of fly bites so we dont put her out in the field just in the arena but she just runs round crazy and stays near the gate

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem

Tags
hooves, horses, legs, pony, trust