I'm going to learn to ride a horse... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm going to learn to ride a horse...

After many years of actually wanting to learn to ride I have finally booked myself in for a lesson on Sunday. Im excited!!!

I have ridden a friend horse a few years back but not regularly so I would definately be classed as a beginner.

Can anyone offer any advise on anything??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kimberley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dexter & Lily

Tiny

and many fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Title Thief Victim

nope, but good luck! Hope you really enjoy it!

Carissasaurus Rex

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

try and relax, it will keep you from being sore... somewhat at least

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Relax and let your body move in rythme with the horse. It will definitely help. Other then that simply enjoy riding...it's a fun experiance!

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Oily Chickenspew

aww...i love riding, though i havent ridden in like....over 2 years HAVE FUN, it's addicting!

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Part of the Pack

I say enjoy it i love horses and i can ride but i havent done in long time but be aware that inside your legs with ache and you might walk funny when you get off i did the last time i rode a horse not riding in a long time but then you might get achey legs have fun

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloverabbits
Can anyone offer any advise on anything??
Keep your back fairly straight and look directly ahead. Grip with your thighs, not your heels. I've been riding for 28 years and can't imagine my life without at least one horse.

Most importantly, relax and have fun!

Rhonda

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 08:43 AM
What the shell! :)

You go girl!! Horseback riding is awesome. Keep your heels down-so you have a good grip in the stirrups, and center yourself over the horse.

Are you riding english or western? I have only ever ridden western, I've been riding for 8 years now. -Western saddles are the best all that leather around you, its like a chair around your butt, on a horse! lol!!

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

Don't be nervous - the horse can feel it through the reins
Don't bite or chew your lip from concentrating - my instructor says that one day the horse is going to spook i'm going to bite it off!

Alicyn

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hi y'all!

Thanks for all the comments. Iv only just read them - after my lesson - but everything you said is true!

I had my first lesson today - was good and I am addicted. Found it slightly odd adjusting my legs - but dont think my wellies helped! My kind boyfriend bought me a new pair of riding boots, chaps and jodphurs after so hopefully my next lesson on Friday will be better.

I was constantly thinking my wellies were going to fall off and think this took away a large majority of my concentrating. I rode a delightful horse called Glen. He got a bit bored though so I had to keep prompting him.

It's certainly not as easy as it looksm that's for sure!!

I'll keep you posted!

Kimberley

Dexter & Lily

Tiny

and many fish