Let the fun begin! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Angry Let the fun begin!

I started breaking my 4 year old Appaloosa filly today. Yes, I'm ashamed to say that I have a 4 year old that has not been broke to ride yet! I usually have my youngsters broke shortly after their 2nd birthday!

Anyway, I thought for sure I had met my match from the day she was born. She wanted nothing to do with me from day one and has a certain look in her eye that would make most cowboys shudder with fear.

Well, today was our first official day of training and it went surprisingly well! She took the saddle without a problem and even let me walk her around with it on for 20 minutes. She didn't even try to stomp me to death when the other 3 horses started running around the field kicking up their heels like maniacs. It wasn't the most ideal situation....my dog barking like a fool, the wind blowing, a school bus driving by, the other 3 horses practicing their bucking bronco routines.....but I survived to tell the story (so far!)

Hopefully, I will have her broke within the next month as long as the weather stays decent and I'm not too exhausted from work. I hope I'm not getting my expectations up too much, but I am so happy how today worked out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 03:00 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

How do you break a horse? I mean the only thing I have ever done with a horse is it feed them apples....I once rode an elepahnt though!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Alot of people do it differently but I normally starting lounging them on a 30 foot rope. They run in circles around me while I hold the rope and I tell them commands.....such as walk and make a clicking sound, or just tap them with a whip. To make them trot, I click again or snap the whip behing their butt (NEVER hit them with it, just a very gentle tap. The whip is a training aid and not to be used for punishment. A horse should not be made to fear the whip.) To make them slow down, I gently pull on the rope or put the whip toward the front of their body. Once they get to know the commands, which takes about a week for them to get to really know what I want, then I normally put the saddle on them.

Today was a little windy, so I didn't do the lounging part. I just brushed her, then rubbed the saddle blanket on her and when she accepted that, I held out the saddle for her to smell and then gently put it on her back. I strapped it on just tight enough for her to get to know what it feels like and to keep it in place in case she went crazy.

Once they feel comfortable with the saddle when they walk, trot, and lope, then I normally put them in a small area or have someone hold the rope...stand on a bucket and lean over the saddle. If they are ok with me doing that a few times I will try to gently swing my leg over the saddle and hang on! LOL

Once I'm actually in the saddle and the horse is ok with it I have the person walk the horse a few steps. Some horses get a little nervous because the weight of the person throws the horse's balance off a little. It took a full week for one horse to learn how to lope with me riding her. All horses are different. One horse I had broke within 2 weeks and I felt confident to ride the trails with her, another took me over a month before I would take her outside of a fenced in area. It all depends on how much they trust you, what their personality is like and such.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:01 PM

It sounds so scary since horses are so much bigger then you! You must be brave! You could just be trampled!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

I'm not as brave, or should I say as stupid, as I used to be. I'm going to have my cousin come over to help me when it is time for me to actually get on this horse. I'll have the cordless phone handy along with my health insurance information. When I was younger I would just hop on the horse without help and hope I didn't get bucked off and get injured. I had faith that if something happened someone would realize I was missing for a day or so and come find me laying in the barnyard. Now I try to think ahead, maybe I will call the ambulance before hand and have them waiting in my driveway.

Rhonda

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 11:08 PM

Ugh! I guess it is knowing the animal. I cannot even IMAGINE riding a horse, even though I see people do it all the time!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

I've been riding for 24 years.....obviously not 24 years straight or I would be awfully bow-legged, and it would be difficult riding the horse at work, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Rhonda

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 01:58 AM

Plus it would scare some patients when you come in to take blood pressure and stuff..and it would maqke bed pan duty into like almost a sport, Bed pan rodeo.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Angry Day 2

I put the saddle on her again today, no problem. I even put the bridle on her and she didn't mind at all. Normally I get whacked in the head at least once when the horse is trying to fight me putting the bit in their mouth for the first time. She is really surprising me and I'm getting a bit suspicious! I think she's saving her energy for when I get on her back for the first time!

I have to work the next 3 days and won't get home until dark, so she gets a little break for now, which is just as well since we're supposed to have cold, snowy weather for the next few days.

Rhonda

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 10:58 PM

I am glad it went okay again today!