Light Debate: Horse riding vs Not? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Light Debate: Horse riding vs Not?

What's your opinion? Were horses designed to run freely without carrying humans, or taught to be ridden?

Let me put it bluntly. I think riding a horse is cruel. I believe Mother Nature designed them to run freely, without shoes, and not carry humans on their back. I believe if they are to be pets, they should be allowed to free-roam(in a large fenced-in area), not be shod(so their hooves can naturally expand and contract - I also believe in barefoot walking for humans), From everything I've read, my belief is supported. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 PM
is a little "special"

A lot of horses do seem to enjoy being ridden though. It can give them a sense of purpose, and it is mental stimulation and exercise for them, not to mention a form of attention and a way to bond with their riders.

I don't think horses were necessarily designed to be ridden, but I don't see a problem with it either as long as it isn't abusive, like racing or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I don't think mother nature designed them.

I think you should take your weight into consideration for a horse. A 300 lb person shouldn't ride a pony. But i think its fine to ride them in a sense its like walking a dog they get to go more places, see more things and work.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I'm a moderate with anything I do. I have no problems riding horses and don't think it's a cruel thing inherently. To me, it's all in the education and sensitivity of the owner. (If you're talking philosophically, I'm not even opposed to the idea of racing horses for that matter. I'm opposed to people making money off of racing horses.) That said, I think it's a personal moral issue, so if it is offensive to you to ride, then of course, keep your horse as a pet. Though, if someone were to politicize it like people have unfortunately done in breed specific dog banning legislation, then I would of course have to respond by voting against banning it.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I've never owned horses, but my mother-in-law is frequently talking about them and talking about buying our son a pony(which we've told her no - we don't believe in gifting pets, but if he comes to find he wants a horse, or a pony, he's going to do the research and volunteer caring for them first).

This is really a thought that crossed my mind only recently. I totally agree with taking the size of the horse/pony and your own weight into consideration, but a part of me thinks horses would be much happier just running around doing their own thing instead of baring the weight of a human on their back and moving at a pace set by the person, instead of themselves.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
What's your opinion? Were horses designed to run freely without carrying humans, or taught to be ridden?

Let me put it bluntly. I think riding a horse is cruel. I believe Mother Nature designed them to run freely, without shoes, and not carry humans on their back. I believe if they are to be pets, they should be allowed to free-roam(in a large fenced-in area), not be shod(so their hooves can naturally expand and contract - I also believe in barefoot walking for humans), From everything I've read, my belief is supported. What do you think?
Horses love kind masters and some love being ridden. There is nothing cruel about it!!!Yeah, I dont agree with keeping horses in those tiny little stalls, where they start pacing and cribbing out of boredom, but I just love riding. My horse is bare foot and I don't plan on shoeing him either. A horse that is treated kindly thinks the world about his human.
If you have never ridden a horse you are missing out on the world's greatest thrill!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Newborn Pup

Speaking from experience, I cannot tell you the profound joy of working with horses- and I know that joy is mutual. I cannot prove it to you, or anyone else for that matter, unless you experience it for yourself. So it's really just words.

Horses though are like dogs. They are both far removed from their wild ancestors. Like dogs, horses have been bred and developed to be in close contact with people, to the point that they need us. Not only for their food, water and shelter, but for mental and physical stimuli.

A riding horse is meant to be ridden. Like a hunting dog left in a kennel, a horse without a job is going to go crazy. They get fat, lazy and obstinate. Unsoundness and mental problems inevitably crop up. The horse will not, and indeed cannot, be happy without fulfilling his need and purpose to, for and with humans.

That said, you can see in any working horse a quiet happiness that does not exist in a horse that is simply left to his own devices.