Llama pictures for animalexotic - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Llama pictures for animalexotic

Ok, so this is going to be a series of posts to give a general idea of what sort of things you can ask a llama to do

The purpose of this obstacle is to get the llama used to backing up even though there are things along the ground that the llama cannot see. This shows how much the llama trusts you -- if they are willing to back up, even though their feet hit things as they move.

There is a narrow, relatively steep ramp up to this bridge that most llamas will not want to walk up. Getting them up there is kind of difficult, however it sure is easy to get them to walk down the other side!! Just be careful they don't run you over on the way

Another type of obstacle that requires backing through. There are boards on the sides to act as a blinder so that the llama cannot see too much of what's going on. Another trust-obstacle.

As you can see, the llama must navigate a turn while backing up.

**more coming!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Just Call Me Oblivious!

This first one doesn't seem like much of an obstacle, but it involves putting something across the llama's back (usually it's something that dangles and touches their legs, but in this case it was just a towel), and a change of pace. Normally you go through these courses at a fast walk, but you have to run for a change of pace.

Getting llamas used to things like Sprinklers is something that we normally do in a "Public Relations" course -- which is like an obstacle course, but usually involves people, brightly coloured objects, possibly loud noises and unique things that one might only encounter at fairs, school tours, etc.

This bridge tips once you put weight on the other side, and the metal arch rattles when the bridge moves. Also, while hard to see, there are streamers tied to the arch that will brush against the llama as she passes.

Most of the time, you either go over or under a bar, but in this case, we did both at the same time!

**more coming!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Again, Dakota (this llama here), has to get used to something on her back. The wheelbarrow with the brightly coloured cones is also part of this obstacle. My job was the move the wheelbarrow (without losing the load!) through a weave, while keeping the llama moving at the same pace.

Loading in and out of trailers (especially strange ones) is something else we try to get them used to.

Getting llamas to lie down on command is also useful for many things. For instance, when packing, you may want your llama to lay down at the end of a hike, so that they don't wander, or what have you. Thus, we train almost all our llamas to lay down on command.

**one more post!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Just Call Me Oblivious!

These are pictures from packing classes. Packing classes are generally the same as obstacle courses, with a few extra things. Like this "clothesline", which on a hike might actually just be some low hanging branches. The idea is to get the llama either moving on his knees, or ducking really low so as not to catch the packs on the line.

As you can see, Randy is stubborn and would rather just lay down than crawl under the line!

My appologies for the blurriness of the last picture, but this is Tim and Shazzaam, moving through a weave with the packs on. The llamas should be used to things moving against the packs in tight spaces, as there isn't always a lot of room on a trail!

Did you know that llamas do less damage to trails than your pair of hiking boots?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Great pics Bex!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Part of the Pack

Incredible! I love llamas, awesome pics!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Part of the Pack

That's quite a setup they have their, quite remarkable . I love llamas im currently looking locally to possibly use as my research project for my course.

animalexpert - a life long learner

Qualifications: FdSc AMgt. N.Dip AMgt, and VetMed Cert
Working towards: BSc AMgt, A.Dip AB, Marine Zoology and Herptology