Photos! Meet Bacon, my potbelly pig - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
http://simplyhomemade.org

Meet Bacon, my potbelly pig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Betta Bomb

Aw he's cute How old is he? And is that beer he's drinking?!?!?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thanks for sharing.
Pigs can drink beer?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

She didn't drink any, was just for the picture. But she did want it bad.

Yep people who do not have vets around that see potbelly pigs will give their pig a couple beers to calm them down so they can do things like trim their hooves or tusks.

-
-
-
-

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Betta Bomb

Wow, either way, she's real cute. Does she smell in the house? Is she litter-outdoor trained?? I know nothing about piggies. Perhaps you could help us?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

No smells, actually quite clean creatures.
She is litter trained for in the house, but prefers to go outside.

Ask questions and I would be happy to answer them.

-
-
-
-

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Betta Bomb

Hm, I seen them trained but how easy are they to train? Like, you train them like a dog?? Or clicker train?? Is food the only reward? Can she play with toys?? How would she interact with other pets in the house??
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 AM
RAT ADDICT

Aren't pigs destructive? That is what I have heard/read.
Personally I would never have one in the house.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Hm, I seen them trained but how easy are they to train? Like, you train them like a dog?? Or clicker train?? Is food the only reward? Can she play with toys?? How would she interact with other pets in the house??
Very easy to train. She knew her name and how to sit the day we got her, and it takes only minutes for them to learn things.

Food is their primary motivator, she does enjoy some toys though. Baby toys are good for them as they are harder and more interesting than a stick. She does well with other animals, never bothers our cats.

She was bitten by a dog though at a young age, it tore her up pretty bad, so it's taken her awhile to get used to our new puppy. But she has done well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Aren't pigs destructive? That is what I have heard/read.
Personally I would never have one in the house.
They can be when bored. They like to rip things up, newspaper keeps her occupied but I've also read about pigs rooting up carpet or chewing drywall for fun. She makes a great housepet though. She enjoys sleeping on the couch and is quite the cuddler. Very big, but loves to lay in your lap and have her belly rubbed

-
-
-
-

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

Very interesting.
Sounds like some dogs. I heard of bored dogs who tore their owner's houses apart when left alone and such.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Betta Bomb

Aw so the stories of destruction is coming from people who just let their piggies get bored? That makes sense. Like sooooo many people who have terriers or border collies or something like that and fail to stimulate them. Aw, she's really nice

How old is she and how long do they typically live?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Newborn Pup

very cute! How does she do on the carpets in the house? I would think the hooves would do damage and grind dirt into them. I would love to have one, but dont think the significant other would be as welcoming to one :/
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Newborn Pup

Ha! Nice! What's it like having a piggy? I hear they are a lot smarter than most people would think.

EDIT: Just read the other posts! That's really cool. I guess "most people" are wrong. I find hooved animals to be fascinating. I bought a broken-blacck-tan mouse, simply because she reminded me of cows - my second favorite animals! that's cool that she goes outside.

Last edited by Mus Musculus; 05-15-2011 at 09:35 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
How old is she and how long do they typically live?
15-20 years. She will probably outlive every other animal in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lynn View Post
very cute! How does she do on the carpets in the house? I would think the hooves would do damage and grind dirt into them. I would love to have one, but dont think the significant other would be as welcoming to one :/
She does great on the carpets. It allows her to jump up on the couch to go to sleep. If she comes in muddy I'm sure she would grind some dirt in, but her hooves stay very clean. It's her hair that holds the dirt under. But it rarely falls off if she is dirty.

-
-
-
-

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Betta Bomb

Dogs paws are awful dirty I find