Might be getting a new horse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Lightbulb Might be getting a new horse

One of the ladies that works for my mom is thinking about giving away her 6 year old Paint gelding. Apparently he had an accident last year involving a hay rack and injured his front leg. From the sounds of things nothing was broken and he doesn't even limp but for some reason the vet told the lady that he shouldn't be ridden for more than 2 hours at a time and only 2-3 days a week. For most people that would be fine but this lady loves to go on 4 hour trail rides every weekend so the horse won't work out for her.

I have a 9 year old Appaloosa mare that isn't broken and quite frankly, I'm not feeling motivated to break her. I've had her since the day she was born but one thing lead to another and another and another and I never had the time to work with her. I've been riding for 28 years or so and been breaking horses for about 17 years. I just don't feel like doing it anymore! When I want to go riding, I just want to hop on and go! My cousin was supposed to break her for me this summer but she got busy with her life and it just didn't work out.

So........the point of my very long winded story is that I might trade my mare for the gelding. If the gelding is pretty well broke, which it sounds like he is (apparently he's been shown alot before the accident) then I might just do the trade. He's only 6, so by the time Ella is old enough to ride then I'll have a good horse for her. Plus, if Jeff ever gets the courage to ride again (city boy!), at least I'll have one good horse for each of us.

Wish me luck that it all works out. If not then I might wind up taking my horse to the auction which I do NOT want to do but I feel she's being wasted just standing in the field.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 PM

OH! Don't tease me! Another Paint horse on the board! AAAGGHH! I would be in heaven! Wishing you SO MUCH LUCK. YIPPEE. ?? Common, you above all people know the rules, LOL! Don't tease me any longer. You know me and horses, girlfriend. HORSE CRAZZZZZYYYY. How much longer before you know? Ooooh, send me a PM!

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Will It Ever Change?

Wow! Well if the lady is interested, then it sounds like a good trade. Suits her need to be with horses 4+ hours, and yours to have a sweet rider. I bid you good luck!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I called the lady when I got home from work. No answer but I left a message. I'm not getting my hopes up until I see the horse and she sees mine.

Rhonda

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aw i hope things work out

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

I went to see the horse today and he's really nice. I rode him around with just a halter and a lead rope and he did just fine. My only worry is his knee. He had whacked it on a hay rack last year and it's got a big bump on the inner part. It's not swollen or hot, just a big bump. Down the road that could potentially cause a problem, like arthritis and such. Who knows how long until it starts bothering him or if the winter weather will make him ache.

The lady came to see my mare and it sounds like she wants her because she told me to think it over and call her tomorrow and let her know what I decide. You would think if she didn't want her that she would tell me that she would let me know what SHE decided.

I don't think I would have much of a problem reselling the gelding if I decide later that I don't want him. He's got excellent blood lines (Zippo Pine Bar is his grandpa if I remember correctly from reading the pedigree) and he's a big puppy dog of a horse. Her other horses kind of ignored us but he was constantly in our face when we were standing there chit chatting.

I'll probably be spending all day Friday reinforcing my fences so he can come to my house this weekend.

Don't worry Charlene, I'll post pics if he does come home with me.

Rhonda

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

he might be related to our old stud his name was Zippo's Ghost!!

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Part of the Pack

Wow thats so exciting! I really hope it works out!

Horses simply love running around.They enjoy flexing their muscles, arching their tails in the air, rising up powerfully on their hind legs, and then thundering off at full speed. In between the gallop strides they buck exuberantly and toss their heads joyfully. After repeating their show a couple of times, they pause for a moment to look around with widely flared nostrils, as if to ask: Has everyone seen us? Aren't we simply fantastic? We urge them to move again. They react on the spot, hooves flying with delight.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 AM

ooooooh, the suspense!!! What did he look like? Color? I know you will get me pictures, but give me something to dream on until the pictures get here! Pretty please? LOL

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

For some reason something just didn't feel right about this whole thing. I wasn't as excited as I thought I would be and was having a bad feeling. So today I called the vet's office to get some info on the horse. I was told by the vet's office that the horse DID have a fracture and has a guarded prognosis, even for light trail riding. I was also told that the vet has been to the farm numerous times for pain, swelling, limping, infection, and the owner was supposed to follow up with x-rays this past fall and she never did.

So later today I'm going to call the woman and tell her I don't want the horse. If she still wants my horse then she can make me an offer but I don't want the gelding for trade.

And let this be a reminder to everyone if you have a gut feeling about something to make sure you follow that feeling. I'm glad I followed up with my gut feeling and called the vet.

Rhonda

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww Rhonda.
I am sorry...but at least you checked into it before taking him.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:53 PM

Oh, Rhonda. I'm sorry. But I am glad that you had that "gut feeling" and relied on it. You know, I am so disappointed in horse dealers. I just can't understand why they can't come clean and tell you the truth. Even the lady that I practically gave my little mare away to, that came up lame with navicular, come to find out, a friend of mine found out that the mare is up on that lady's website. She is claiming that it was a mistake, but is saying that she would consider selling her now, "to the right person" and her story is weak about giving out the "whole truth" about her being x-rayed and being positive for navicular. I just can't believe it. I thought I could trust her. If there is one thing I have learned in the past year and a half, it has been that when it comes to dealing with buying horses, you cannot believe anything that you are told and you need a vet check, and when you are selling, be prepared to be ripped off. SO sad. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. But, I am really glad you found out in time. Shame on that lady. Do you want me to slap her for you? LOL

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

When I called her and told her that I found out that the horse did have a fracture she became defensive and said "The vet never told me that!" Ya, right!

She still wants my mare but she's trying to sell another horse that she got ripped off on. A couple months ago she bought a horse, sight unseen, that was supposed to be 12 years old and when it was delivered it was half starved, hooves full of thrush, and estimated to be about 20 years old. So now she's trying to sell that horse to a friend to get money to buy my mare.

Rhonda

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Charlene, it sounds like that lady is trying to make a quick dollar off your horse. Not only is it sad for the horse but sad for the people who will buy her without being told the truth.

Rhonda