New Horse Owner (me) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation New Horse Owner (me)

I have bought a 17yr old breed stock paint mare.........dead broke....good health records and good disposition....she has had 3 colts....I have one question..

How old is too old to breed her?

I have grown up around horses but have never really owned one for myself.... ~Thanks, Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm a little confused. If you are 'dead broke' as you say and you've never had a horse before, why would you want to breed a 17 year old horse?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 06:21 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
If you are 'dead broke' as you say and you've never had a horse before, why would you want to breed a 17 year old horse?
Jade, I think when she says 'dead broke' I think she's using the term to mean the horse is broke, as in tame, rideable, ect...

Heather, I wouldn't breed a 17 year old horse, I think the oldest I'd breed at is 10. But then again, I own horses but have never bred them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

It all depends on the health and physical shape of the horse.

Is she already bred? If not, I would recommend you do your homework about breeding before jumping into it, especially since this is your first horse.

Rhonda

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 02:41 AM
Playful Pup

Over here in holland we also breed until round about 12 but if she has good records and is healthy why not...

It might be a little risky but if you dare to take that risk you should do it...
BTW a good friend of mine had breed one that was 21 she was as fit as a 21 year horse could be

Good luck and let us know what your going to do

Phil

"Signatures
afterwards"

....Thank You....