Old Mac boots / for horses - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Old Mac boots / for horses

Yes, I'm going to start a new thread!
Does any one use Old Mac boots for their horse or pony? I started using them about 2 1/2 years ago and they're wonderful!
You can see my horse with them on in the picture I posted on ?? thread.
I had bad luck with farriers hurting my horse by driving nails in the quick, plus my horse was just starting to go lame by un-known reasons. I took off the shoes permanantly and keep him well trimmed using a special method( if any ones interested I'll post a link about it.) When ever I take him for a ride I just put on the boots, and they are VERY Easy to get on and off his hoof.
Any one interested in reading about the Old Macs check out this site:
http://www.yourhorsecare.com/

I'm apposed to metal horse shoes but I'm not writing this to preach to any one.
BTW- My horse is no longer lame at all and his hoofs have
un-contracted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 02:14 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Are old mac boots like Easy Boots? I was going to try Easy Boots years ago but they were kind of expensive and I was afraid the horses would lose them when they were out to pasture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 02:20 PM

Ok, I just checked out the site. They are very much like Easy Boots, only they seem a little bigger.

I haven't had my horses shod in about 5 years, since I took a break from showing. I actually think judges mark you down if you don't have shoes on your horse.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

These are much much better than Easy boots. But also a pair of Old Macs cost $135.00 , They're very well made.
Easy boots are garbage compared to these. Your not suppose to keep them on in pasture. You only use them for riding.
I live in an area where there's alot of slate and rock , my horse is ouchy and these boots give wonderful protection. Also I know the show ring in what ever disapline doesn't really accept horses wearing boots. Hopefully that will change in time. I did do a dressage schooling show this Fall with the boots on (with permission) Got a lot of strange looks, but that's OK
I thought I'd just post them in case someone was looking for an alternative to metal shoes.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 10:32 PM

I was going to get a pair of easy boots for a mare that had terrible front hooves. She had a huge gaping crack right in the front of the hoof, all the way up. The only thing that helped was shoes, but I wanted to try a pair of easy boots so I wouldn't have to deal with nail holes later on. That's why I had mentioned being afraid of them getting lost in the pasture. She would've needed them on 24/7 in place of regular shoes. I sold that mare and saw her a few years later, with the same HUGE crack running up the front of her hoof.

Rhonda

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Post OH, I see

That sounded like a very frustrating thing to deal with. I guess your glad you don't have to deal with that problem now.