Our horse & a goat for the 1st time.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
What the shell! :)

Our horse & a goat for the 1st time....

I have a standardbred gelding, who is a wonderful horse but when he is riled up he can get so attentive and crazy. He has been around dogs, cats, other horses, sheep and I ride him down the road a lot and on trails...so I really don't know why this is happening...although my horse is really wound up and hyper right now, I just rode him a couple days ago for the 1st time in a few months because of the weather.

My brother bought a baby goat probably no older than a week or 2 and I have a barn with 2 stalls in it right next to eachother, but you can't see the other animal from either stall. Well I brought Ricky in (my horse) then he heard the goat in the other stall and oh my gosh he was looking around and circling a few times, but mainly just standing there working himself up in a sweat.

I haven't had a goat since I was 7 and even then I didn't have horses until I was about 12 so I didn't know what to do. We took the goat to my dads because I was worried my horse would work him self up so bad in his stall that he got sick. Today we brought the little goat back and I introduced them-Ricky in his stall and the little goat outside of the stall in a portable fence set up in my barn he is doing a little better, but he still looks around and doesn't pay any attention to anything other than where the noise is coming from and is a little worked up this time.

Why is my 1200 lb horse afraid of a goat no bigger than a medium sized dog. I think he might be just really curious and wants to sniff him..I let him do that but he is still not used to it. I guess I'll just let them keep getting aquainted maybe....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
our lil family
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles

Last edited by Tiff & Jerry; 04-03-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i would give it more time, and let them sniff each other... and mostly when you can make the goat cry and make noises when the horse is watching.. .( best way to do this is hold food just alittle out of reach.)

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Doing a little better now..

Ricky is getting more used to the goat, I'm not so worried about him because he is not breaking a sweat just standing in his stall anymore. Thanks for the reasuring advice...He is still curious, but I'm sure he'll be fine...
Heres a pic of the goat and my horse...arent they soo cute

Pictures are below: in the next reply......

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles

Last edited by Tiff & Jerry; 04-04-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I separated the 2 replys (I don't know why)
HERE ARE THE 2 PICTURES...

Goat:

Ricky -my standardbred gelding

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles

Last edited by Tiff & Jerry; 04-04-2007 at 01:05 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Oily Chickenspew

Ricky is BEAUTIFUL!! or should i say handsome either way! *gasp* he's a good looking horse!!! and the lil goat is way cute

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Well thank you very much! If you had a treat he'd give you kisses...but I guess he can't do that through the computer.

Just to update everyone-it's been 4 days and they are fine together(for now in the separated stalls)...just wait til he's old enough to go in the pasture...I might not put them together he doesn't like little things but maybe he'll get along great when the goats full grown.

Thanks everyone!

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Will It Ever Change?

very cute goat!!! i love them and thier faces. beautiful horse too, i love horses, my mom had one when i was a kid, just breathtaking!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Newborn Pup

What a gorgeous horse. I had horses up till last year and I really miss them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:08 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

that horse is handsome and the goat is soo cute

edited for spelling mistake

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

oo i just thought of some advice sence you have never had a goat before... what ever you do dont play headbutt with him... its soooo cute when they butt your hand when they are little but they can knock you over and really hurt you... i know it seams like common sence but its really cute and their normal behavor that they will try and play it with you normally

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...we'll try not to play headbutt...it is cute though

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles