Poor little eight belles - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
can't think of one, help

Poor little eight belles

I saw the race when Barbaro got hurt and after that I couldn't take it anymore. I turned the tv off when the derby started and left the house with a funny feeling. The poor horse who tried so hard and got so hurt. Hopefully she is running free now at the bridge with Barbaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I just heard about it. How very sad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes it is very sad. It made me sad and mad at the same time.

Dark side of horseracing
http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing...PHCP&GT1=39002

Taken from article...

Why? Why do we put racehorses at risk for our own amusement? Where do we draw the line? I have done zero polling on this issue, but I suspect most people would agree with this statement:

It's OK to train horses to race but not OK to train dogs to fight, because the frequency of death and pain is much lower in horse racing.

Heck, that's how I have long felt. But what is an acceptable fatality rate? If Churchill Downs goes to an increasingly popular synthetic racing surface, which is believed to reduce injuries, will we feel better because we're doing something?

This is not just about horse racing. It cuts to the heart of our relationship with animals. It is a relationship that, for most of us, is steeped in denial.

Lve Never Fails

Last edited by luvnature; 05-05-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've never been a fan of races. I find them boring. Did the jockey push her too hard? I don't really know much about horses... Poor gal.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 05:46 AM
Rodentologist

The theory now is that her bones were not developed enough in her front legs. They race horses WAY too young. General consensus among responsible horse owners is not to ride a horse until it matures (around 4-5 years old). They run the races at 2-3 years old.

They also breed primarily for speed, and not necessarily for soundness, in many cases.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Part of the Pack

Oh how sad!

Horses simply love running around.They enjoy flexing their muscles, arching their tails in the air, rising up powerfully on their hind legs, and then thundering off at full speed. In between the gallop strides they buck exuberantly and toss their heads joyfully. After repeating their show a couple of times, they pause for a moment to look around with widely flared nostrils, as if to ask: Has everyone seen us? Aren't we simply fantastic? We urge them to move again. They react on the spot, hooves flying with delight.