Potbelly piglets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Potbelly piglets

Hello I haven't been able to read or post anything due to internet problems anyway I just got a 1 month old potbelly piglet he weighs all of 1 pound his mother was 32 lbs and his father was 43 give or take a fue lbs. any way I was looking for a good website to read up on them. I have read some people say there is such thing as a dwarf potbelly pig I have no idea really as to who to listen to so I have resorted to asking many people. Also I have been feeding him shredded wheats (which has lots of vitamins and minerals which is important for any growing baby animal) soaked in warm water with evaporated milk mixed in. does this sound like a good diet for a piglet? I have read and understand that it is unhealthy for a pig to be over weight and I have read some things and diffrent people argue the fact that dog food is bad whats your opinions? Well I hope I am putting this in the right discussion (Hooved animal) please write and let me know what you think and if this is the wrong discussion let me know. thank you so much and I hope to hear from you all soon.

~Ashley~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Curmudgeon

Whoa!

That's VERY young for a pig to be sold, unless the mother had problems or died. They shouldn't be completely weaned from mom until 6-8 weeks at the absolute earliest!

The breeder should also have given you diet guidelines on feeding a pig this young. If he suggested the shredded wheat, I'd not bother with anymore questions to him.

You could use a good milk replacer if you have one available, ..but whole goat's milk is easier to find, keep and use. Start adding in some Gerber's Rice formula baby food too.

You can also find the pellets you'll be feeding him as an adult, and start introducing them now. At the zoo, we use Mazuri brand, but they are all pretty much alike IMO.

Don't worry about weight ...at all at the this point. This guy is underweight and needs to pack it on. Feed him as much as he'll eat. It's practically impossible to get an overweight baby. Obesity is usually a problem of adults. Your goal right now is just making sure he survives to adulthood!

Keep him warm and comfy.

I've used a playpen for babies. Keeps them from getting into trouble. You also want to spend a LOT of time with this guy. Pigs are very social, especially as piglets. They need constant companionship, play, touching, bonding, etc.

Leaving them alone for long periods at this stage can possibly result in an adult pig with social problems.

If you don't have a good exotic vet, NOW is the time to get one. When the pig has diarrhea (and this happens sometimes to babies), you don't want to be calling around looking for a vet. I'd get an appointment and get your pig looked at RIGHT NOW. He can give you a good idea on how much body weight you need on the pig at this age ...for it's build, he can point you towards a good diet and set you up with a healthy pig.

He'll also set you on the course of vaccinations that your pig should have. You also want to deal with the subject of nuetering him too (the pig, not the vet! ).

Here are some websites, but you might also want to go out an pick up some books too.

http://www.pigpalssanctuary.com/heal...e_articles.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Farm/7539/

http://www.pigs4ever.com/awards_rings.htm

Most babies grow up healthy and whole, but evey now and then you get one that just doesn't "thrive". It's a reall struggle to keep these small, fragile, underweight pigs alive. It's been awhile since I was weighing pig babies, but yours sounds awful light at this age! I keep a close eye on him, and get a good vet's advice for reassurance. Trying to learn by doing over the internet can have it's hazards.

Good luck!

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 04:55 PM

Question

It sounds like you have a good bit of experience with pot bellies. I am having a problem with mine. She is a great pet except for one thing. I cannot seem to get her potty trained. What would you suggest? She is healthy, had that vet check up and is scheduled to be spayed next month. She is becoming more and more social, and of course is always into something. I just don't know what to do about the litter or outside potty training. I hope you have some ideas. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

this is such an old post i would advice you to make a new thread or PM mygala about your questions

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanisechler View Post
It sounds like you have a good bit of experience with pot bellies. I am having a problem with mine. She is a great pet except for one thing. I cannot seem to get her potty trained. What would you suggest? She is healthy, had that vet check up and is scheduled to be spayed next month. She is becoming more and more social, and of course is always into something. I just don't know what to do about the litter or outside potty training. I hope you have some ideas. Thanks
You didn't say how old your pig is. I'm guessing pretty young since you aren't getting her spayed for a month. Potty training comes earlier for some than others. Just like dogs, everyone is a bit different. If you have her crate trained, which I recommend, you should walk her as soon as you let her outside as soon as you let her out. When she goes potty, praise and pay (reinforce) her.

She is pretty intuitive, but you need to be very outgoing with your praise and very basic with letting her know what you you want. Again, crate training is a big help here, and walking her on a regular schedule. Don't put her in a position where she has to wait very long before she has the opportunity to be a good girl, by going outside.

All in all, it's going to be easier than training most dogs. Talk to your vet for more info, they can be good resources for things like this. Good Luck...

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Are you wanting to litter train her?If so I let willy potty outside and then I picked it up and put it in his litter pan and showed him the pan throughout the day and at the end of the week no more accidents he goes to it everytime now.
ON a different note anyone have a suggestion on what to use for a litter pan willy has out grown his and I can not find on big enough he is a year old and about 70-100lbs
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley32693 View Post
Hello I haven't been able to read or post anything due to internet problems anyway I just got a 1 month old potbelly piglet he weighs all of 1 pound his mother was 32 lbs and his father was 43 give or take a fue lbs. any way I was looking for a good website to read up on them. I have read some people say there is such thing as a dwarf potbelly pig I have no idea really as to who to listen to so I have resorted to asking many people. Also I have been feeding him shredded wheats (which has lots of vitamins and minerals which is important for any growing baby animal) soaked in warm water with evaporated milk mixed in. does this sound like a good diet for a piglet? I have read and understand that it is unhealthy for a pig to be over weight and I have read some things and diffrent people argue the fact that dog food is bad whats your opinions? Well I hope I am putting this in the right discussion (Hooved animal) please write and let me know what you think and if this is the wrong discussion let me know. thank you so much and I hope to hear from you all soon.

~Ashley~
I had to do the same thing with willy...I gave him yogurt and mini pig food that had been ground up in a baby bottle and he loved it I still give it to him as a treat now and again....he will do anything for that a bottle of the stuff.As far as dog food I can not keep willy out of the dogs food I just make sure I buy food with no pork products the vet says he is healthy nothing wrong with him...

Tags
dog food, exotic vet, shredded wheat