Prices everyone else is paying??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
What the shell! :)

Question Prices everyone else is paying???

Hey everyone! I live in N.E Ohio and I've had horses for 8 years and have been out on my own for the past 4 years paying for them and having my own barn and house and everything. I have found a lot of cheaper prices of hay and farrier and other stuff where I am because of the years of meeting new people - I'm just curious how much everyone else is paying in other areas for hay, sawdust, farrier, grain...I was thinking about moving and wanted to know how much of a price shock I might possibly get into.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
our lil family
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I live in Northern Michigan. My hay guy charges $2.25 for a bale of hay. The farrier charges $18 per horse. Grain runs around $20 for 50lbs of good stuff. I don't know about sawdust because I never use it.

Rhonda

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

really. what do you use instead of sawdust? I used straw when I started out but it got too messy for me. Thanks for the prices - Iguess michigan wouldn't be that bad of a state to move to.

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 09:03 PM

My horses normally stay outdoors and are very rarely in the barn. They're on 20 acres and half of it is very densely wooded and provides plenty of protection from the sun, cold, wind and snow. The times I have tried to put them in the barn during really nasty weather they had a fit. It was really interesting when 2 of my mares were due to foal and there was no way I was letting them stay outside at night or in the rain in case they foaled. They had a complete fit for the first week.....but luckily I thought ahead and made them stay inside 1 month before their due dates so they could get used to being locked up. When the foals were old enough to stay out at night and the weather was ok I left the barn doors opened and the mares still never went in.

Rhonda

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 09:05 PM

I forgot to add that when the mares stayed in the barn I used straw. I had a guy give me a good deal on really nice straw, $1.50 a bale. It got a little pricey cleaning the stalls out twice a day, every day for a few months but it was worth it.

Rhonda

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

My really awesome hay guy gives us a deal on our hay because we take it from him still on the wagon, so he doesn't have to handle it again. Most of the hay in northern WI is between $2.00 and $3.00 a bale. Straw is around $2.00, shavings are around $5.00 a bag. Our local farriers charge between $15.00 and $25.00 for trims. Grain runs around $10.00 a bag for a pretty basic (but good) 100 lbs. mill made variety, around the same price for 50 lbs. of a premade mix. Hope it helps.

Heather, Dan, Shannon & our critter collection
Kali, Tee Jay, Flicka, Chance & Starr (the horses),
Rhea, Hunter & Teeko (the dogs),
the rabbits, the fish & the chickens
Website -

Yahoo! Messenger ID - Rheanikita
MSN Messenger ID - Kalilady73
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!! thats good its not a huge difference in price in some other areas. I pay 1.75 to 2.00 for a bale of hay, around $8 for a bag of grain (50#) and $5 a little pick up truck load of sawdust (amish sawmill it's-I have to shovel it on) $12 per horse for my farrier (he's amish too but does an awesome job!)

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:49 AM
Newborn Pup

I'm lucky because my uncle gives me hay for free as long as I help him put it on the wagon and in the barn during the summer. My mom is dating a farrier, so I guess that makes me really lucky.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Playful Pup

Wish I was in America if they're the prices you pay. Never any of uses think that what your paying isn't cheap. If I had a horse the cost of the horse would be no problem it'd be the up keep. My neighbour has a horse and a couple of my friends have horses and I've made enquires. Try $25 for hay, $20 for 10 litres of wood shavings, $20 for grain, if your lucky to be able to get free lease or cheap lease it's about $12 a month thats for land by the way, $70 for the farrier and thats the cheapest amounts. It never use to be this expensive but because of the drought and all that everythings gone up in price.

KInd Regards Rhiannon

Mynydd Golygfa Mousery. Breeding mice for show and pets on the South Coast.
Flowers are the poetry of earth,as stars are the poetry of heaven.-Anonymous
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

where do you live? That is a lot more, wow!

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Playful Pup

I live in Australia.
Kind Regards Rhiannon

Mynydd Golygfa Mousery. Breeding mice for show and pets on the South Coast.
Flowers are the poetry of earth,as stars are the poetry of heaven.-Anonymous
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Part of the Pack

Hi and welcome to pt i use to ride but dont know

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:38 PM

In TX I am paying $150 a round bale and $10 a square bale for hay because of the drought. Our 12% feed is about $7 a bag. And we pay $25 per horse for their hooves trimmed.

Tags
wood shavings