Responsible breeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Responsible breeding

I thought it was very good. I have always been 100% for responsible breeding of any kind of animal.

http://www.lastchanceranch.org/resp-breed.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Just provide a link back to the source, Linda.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thumbs up

Here's the web site I took it from:

http://www.lastchanceranch.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Remember that the mare should not be ridden during her pregnancy and will not be able to be ridden for close to one and a half years.
I strongly disagree with this statement. Exercise is good for pregnant mares. I wouldn't take them to the race track by any means, but leisurley rides during pregnancy is NOT going to hurt them at all.

Rhonda

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't think he meant no exercise for the pregnant mare. I think he meant no weight on her back while she's pregnant.
I don't know anything about breeding horses, I'm sure every breeder has a difference in opinion but when I was pregnant I sure wouldn't want any one on my back. It was like hard enough to carry my own weight around-ugg. At the stable I keep my horse at the pregnant mares just hang out, I hardly ever see the owners.
I would think riding in early half a pregnancy would be fine, but later when they're carrying so much weight I wouldn't do it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I ride all of my mares during pregnancy. I usually have them bred in April and May, ride them all summer, then when the weather gets colder I stop riding for the winter. So, that would be up until they are about 7 months pregnant. Two years ago I took them on a camping trip while they were 5 and 6 months pregnant. The difference is if they are used to being ridden all the time like mine. I would never take an unconditioned pregnant mare for a long trail ride. Obviously when they get HUGE (9-10 months pregnant) I wouldn't ride them, because like you said Linda, I know I wouldn't want to be hugely pregnant and have weight on my back.

Rhonda

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Newborn Pup

I agree with Scarlette. Excersise is good for the mare, as long as it's done properly, i.e. don't take an animal that's in poor condition and do a 20 mile trail ride when she hasn't been ridden in 5 years - sort of the condition of my mares, brood mares that are slowly being brought back into the swing of being worked after several years off.
As far as breeding quality animals, I agree with that whole heartedly. I have a Lipizzan mare that I think would produce a very high quality dressage horse if crossed with our paint stud who has excelent movement and outstanding conformation and temperament. I refuse to breed her to him, as I don't think that the foal woudl be very marketable due to the paint/quarterhorse in it's background, and I already have the Lip and her daughter to train, so I don't want to produce a foal that I won't be able to find a home for.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm at a dressage barn and some ladies have horses with QH in them. I thing as long as the foal didn't have the Paint look with spots you wouldn't have trouble selling. I think in dressage they are getting more open minded - I went to Devon a couple years ago and a Appalosa was in Grandpree(sp?) I also think I saw paints there as well.
A horse with Lipizzan in it would probably blow their minds around here!