Saddles - On Line Purchases - With Age Does Not Always Come Wisdom! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Saddles - On Line Purchases - With Age Does Not Always Come Wisdom!

Well, the title of my post should tell it all! I feel SO stupid. But, I have learned a valuable lesson and just wanted to pass it on to those who may be learning like me. I live on a budget and wanted to find a "good deal" when I was searching for a Western Saddle. I am a very trusting person and take people's word for what they say it is. Well, living on a tight budget, one of my friends advised me to look on the web for a saddle. (My first mistake.) But, when looking, I felt that I was careful, I even talked directly to the store owners and told them exactly what I wanted and needed. They even sent me pictures. They told me that the saddles were made of real leather, even went as far as helping me find an even better deal that wasn't advertised and made me a better deal. I purchased more than one saddle. The first saddle was not returnable. The catch? It had to be returned within a week if I didn't like it. It took 14 days to get to me. The man was a real jerk. There's more. So, I went on and searched from a more reputable company. I was pleased with the saddles and purchased two. Unfortunately, after riding in the first one, I found it to be extremely uncomfortable, and the second one didn't fit my horse. The company would take it back, but they have to take a 15% restocking fee off of my return and I have to pay for shipping. Not that bad, but I still don't have a saddle. I feel extremely stupid. So, after all that, I talked to some people who actually KNEW about saddles and here is what I found out . . . I was so ripped off! Other than being poorly made, the saddles aren't even leather!!! If my horse ever tried to throw me, chances are, my stirrup could have come off because of how poorly the saddles were made. So, what I have done is to take all of the saddles that I purchased and went to a store that I know locally who fix saddles and sells them too. He is going to take all of my saddles, (I am loosing so much), and he is going to trade me for a good saddle (and I will still owe $), but I will get a good saddle out of it. Plus, he is going to bring the new saddle out to where my horses are to make sure that the new saddle fits and that it fits me before he will even sell it to me. Finally, someone to help me. Never purchase online! You need to try any saddle you are buying on your horse first. Take it from someone who has screwed up TOO many times. I hope this post helps someone. I wish I had of had someone to help me. Sorry this story was so long, but I just had to get this story out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Oily Chickenspew

sorry this happened! people can be so cruel

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Tara.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Guarded by Waffles

That is rough. I'm sorry it happened to you

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh charlene!! those buggers! if they are in Cali let me know and D & I will take care of them for you hehehe I got my first saddle used for $900.00 and I still have it over 8 or 9 years later! I love this saddle but it's a little to narrow for D so I am going to get a lift pad. I have a synthestic western saddle that cost me $200.00 but it's a MAJOR cheapy and I knew that but I just wanted something I could post around in and get wet on trail rides. I have another hunter/jumper saddle with larger knee rolls that was.. I think also $200.00 it's not a great saddle but it's there for when I poke around. There are NO such thing as english saddles around here I was so lucky and lived close to a used saddle store that I am DIEING to go and visit again. I'm thinking of selling my Hunter/Jumper saddle to get a winder English saddle for D and I have also thought about selling my $900.00 saddle to get a new one but not yet... Because that saddle is just beautiful. If I had a million bucks I would buy you a new good saddle . I'm so sorry this happened. When I bought my showmanship halter online they never sent me a lead buggers.

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my sister in law gets all her saddles and such on ebay...she seems to have great luck lol, but when her daughter tried it out she got ripped off badly, a saddle that wasn't leather and was missing a stir up...

I am glad you have a good saddle now

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Well, HappyDancer, I don't have it yet. We keep trying to get together to try it on the horse and first I was really sick one day and the next day it rained! Do you think someone up there is trying to tell me something?? We are supposed to try again today. It is a really nice saddle, for sure quality this time, just not really the "color" I really wanted. But he is willing to put oil on it and says that it will darken in time. I have worked with him before and I believe him about the "oil" thing. I have done it with some bridles that I have purchased from him. It does work. But, you do need some sunshine too. Today it is a bit overcast. SUNSHINE, come back! Hee hee.

Fae, thank you for all of your kind words. I believe that you would take care of anyone for me. hee hee. It is sad that store owners have to rip people off like that. Especially when we had several "specific" conversations about the saddles before I purchased them. Oh, well, I learned my lesson. . . The hard way. . . again.