So extremely excited! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

So extremely excited!

When I was little, I always thought of getting a horse when I got older and had my own house and stuff but the money, time, and patience involved is overwhelming.

Weellll... As some of you know, I moved out by my aunt's house and have been going horseback riding about once or twice a week with Dean (my unkle). (I would, unfortunately, have no time for my own horse though)They have three horses-one cannot be ridden because she has a neurological problem. I have built an espcially strong bond with Nessy (the horse with the problem) and have gone out there A LOT to clean her feet, brush her, and braid her tail and bangs. She's really fun to be around and she always knows how I am feeling. She brightens my day just by running over to me for a greeting kiss. I often find it quite easy get lost in hours and hours of grooming and petting her. (No time for my own horse!)

Well lately, I have borrowed books from my aunt and unkle about horses and have started reading about them (no time for my own!!!) and finding out about what it takes to own your own horse and what to do to get started.

I don't know whats going on. I have fallen head over heels for Nessy and can't seem to keep myself away from her. Meanwhile, spending so much time over there with her I'm not realizing that I DO have the time for my own horse.. I guess I've been viciously bitten by the horse bug because I have butterflies all in my spine and tummy whenever I think of Nessy and especially when I think of having my own horse.

I have been talking to my unkle about this and the man that trained their horses (the greatest in the world!!!! Maybe I'm bias, though) has horses for sale at his farm. So Kevin and I went to his farm and looked at Trix. Oh my God. I cannot think about anything else but this horse. I feel like a teenager with a wild crush. Ed Dabney (the trainer) is letting me take her home and start payments on her. He also said to feel free to borrow one of his horses and take him out to my unkle's property so my aunt, unkle, Kevin, and I can ride all together. This is so amazing! I am so excited. Here are a few picturs of her. She's not here yet, I need to fence in more of the property before I bring her home and cut down some trees and overgrown brush.

Oh yeah... I went out there and rode her yesterday. She is so great. All I have to do to get her to go is cluck. To get her to turn, I look where I want to go and she'll go. All in all I really don't have to mess with the reins. And to stop, all I do is breathe out and quietly say woah. She'll stop. I'm in love!!!! I was messing with her feet to see how she acted. I didn't even get to the point of moving my hand to the fetlock area- only bent down and looked at her hoof and she shifted her weight and picked up her foot.

Her tail is blonde, white, black, brown, and a reddish copper color. I love it! Her mane is sticking up because she wore it out putting her head in a hay holder thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by Rocheal; 12-28-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Newborn Pup

She is beautiful. Congratulations!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

She's a gorgeous girl. Congratulations.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:02 AM
Curmudgeon

Congratulations, sounds like a match made in heaven!

One piece of advice, be especially vigiliant when you clear brush from the pasture. There are quite a few types of plants that can cause problems if a horse ingests them. Down in Georgia, I'm not sure what you might find, but I'd take out anything I didn't recognize and know was absolutely safe.

Good luck!
bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I love her color. How old is she? Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! :blob2:

Rhonda

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Part of the Pack

She's a pretty girl! I loved having a horse, it was wonderful! I know you will get tons of enjoyment with her!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Awww, she is beautiful, I myself don't own horses but I love them all the same, congrats and good luck with her. I'm sure you'll find it very fun having her around.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Thank you so much! We will probably go down there to pick her up this weekend or next weekend.

Scarlette- she is 9 years old.

Bob- Good idea. I will look online for various plants found in Georgia that they cannot be around. Thanks.

I will post some pictures of her once she gets home.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Newborn Pup

Hello thanks for the warm welcome

~*FELIX*~ the sly and evil kitty

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

she is beautiful congrats

My kids want a horse, but I just don't know.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Adolescent Pup

awwww! she's beautiful!!

My Crew...

Jackie-Cat
Tliatl-Parakeet
Ajax-Parakeet
Salem-Cockatiel
Fletcher-Welsh Corgi
Nine and Ten-Kissing Fish

In loving memory of Peachy~10-16-04

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Congrats!! She's gorgeous
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Thank you.

Chrissane- They are so much work and pretty expensive. Luckily, Trix is only on hay and we're going to put her on alfalfa for more nutrients. Hay will run us about $20.00 a week. Veterinary won't be much. Under $100.00 a year unless something goes wrong. I have no idea how much dental work will be but all horses need to have their teeth checked on a regular basis and probably floated. Grooming supplies were only $117.00 but some stuff was given to me. A ferrier will be about $65.00 every 6-8 weeks. Hopefully we can work on taking her shoes off so it will be better on her feet and cheaper on us! Saddles are anywhere from $100.00 to thousands. The cheap $100.00 are not comfy and they could mess up her spine. My stepmom gave us her saddle but it doesn't fit. We have to buy a used one from someone here soon. (My unkle had to have someone do chiropractic work on PlayBoy because his saddle didn't fit right.) The bit and lead rope were $95.00. All in all (without considering the payments if you don't flat out buy one) she will cost about $200 a month. It's worth it. I will ride her till the cows come home! It's very good for them to be ridden at least twice a week. Very good for their hooves.

Here are the questions I sent Ed Dabney (her trainer) to give you an idea.

Do you have anything used for sale that we'll need for her like leads, bits, and such?
I don't have anything used for sale. All my used tack is the gear that I use every day in training horses. You can see all the halters, leads, bits, etc. on our web site at https://www.shop.eddabney.com/splashPage.hg
Can we use the same ferrier as Dean and Stacey? I'm not sure if she does shoes. She was the one that tied up Trix for me yesterday. The ony that gave her a bath. Tanya, Dean's farrier that you saw here, used to trim Trix but Trix was often foot sore and somewhat lame. Trix is doing much better now under Freddie Garcia's care and keeping "natural balance" shoes on her. Freddie has been taking care of Trix now for about a year. Trix was shod by Freddie on March 28th. Freddie will be here again on May 9th. If you can't get Freddie to come to your place to shoe Trix, maybe you could bring her here on the days Freddie will be here. You can borrow my trailer. Freddie is very busy and is not taking on many new clients. He knows Trix so you could call Freddie and see if he could start coming to your place to shoe her. Freddie's phone number is
When should her next foot apt. be & how often?
May 9th. Every 6 weeks.
When should her next vet apt. be, what will she need (shots and stuff) and how often?
On April 6th she had her new coggins, east/west encephalitis, flu/rhino, and strangles vaccinations. These are annual so she won't need them again until next April.

She is due for her tetanus and rabies vaccines. She has not had these this year.
When will her next dentist apt. be and how often?
She had her dental work done on Nov. 11, 2005. This should be done annually by an Equine Dentist. I use Dr. Louder at UGA
What bit should I use with her?
This is the bit I use with Trix and all my horses. https://www.shop.eddabney.com/displa...5&categoryId=1

Will a saddle for a mustang fit her comfortably?
We'd just have to look at it and see.
Do I need hoof conditioner?
I don't think so but you might check with Freddie about this. I am not using a hoof conditioner with her now.
What kind of shampoo and conditioner for her coat and mane and tail? There are so many choices!
"Show sheen" or "Mane & Tail" are good but most any will do.
Because her little nose is white, does she need any sunscreen?
Yes, for sure. Horsetown in Snellville carries the best sunscreen for horses becasue it lasts several days and does not wear off. I forgot the name of it but the folks at Horsetown will know what you are talking about if you ask. I have used regular human sunscreen on her but you have to put it on often. If she gets sunburn blisters on her nose treat it with zinc oxide. You can get it at any drug store or Wal Mart. It's what folks use for diaper rash.
Is she going to eventually (or now) need any joint supplement?She does not need joint supplement now and shouldn't anytime in the future. She has not been overworked and is in good shape.

They are a lot of work and time and money but Chrissane, it really is worth it if you have love for them!!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Newborn Pup

Dont forget about medication that the doc may give the little horsey also my grandpa use to put sunscreen on his horse......i dont think t will hurt but you will have to get some specially for horses or for hailess dogs because human screen may be fatal if she digests it. He also used Equine Shampoo you can look it up on the internet.....only downfall is it has no insect repelent in it. so you may wanna buy some of that because all the posible fly bites poor baby will be bitten up.... also you can check www.ebay.com and search for leads and halters they get really cheap on ebay GOOD LUCK

~*FELIX*~ the sly and evil kitty

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Well as far as bathing her, I'm only planning on using baking soda. It will sooth her sensitive skin, won't harm her with any chemicals, and will keep her white fur at it's complete whitest!

My unkle uses an all natural fly spray on his horses that is made from some flower. He sprays it on the fruit he grows and also around his house to keep the bugs out. It works great on the horses.

Sunscreen is a great point because of her white fur. We got something offline that just came in the mail a few days ago. It's called something like SunFlower Sunscreen for horses. She HATES the spray part to it but it keeps her nose safe.

Hopefully soon she will be able to come home. My unkle payed for me to attend another training clinic at Ed's place (where she is) so it might be a while before I could bring her home. I don't want to bring her home and then 2 weeks pater bring her back to Ed's and then BACK home. She'd be stressed and confused.

Will keep everyone updated though!