Tell your horror stories!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
What the shell! :)

Tell your horror stories!!

I love horses, but I have heard from a lot of my horse people about nasty falls or some scary situations they have been in...well tell us all about it! I think it is interesting to hear our "battle stories" with horses, and I am sure we can all learn from others mistakes, I sure have learned from others and definately my own mistakes.

I guess I'll start...
about 5 years ago when I was in the first couple years of having horses my family and I bought a bay horse from an auction, this horse was calm when they brought him in the ring the guy had a saddle and bridle on him. So we bid and we won him. We took him home, my dads very horse knowledgable friend (a champion roper) came over to try him out, he let us all ride = this horse was very calm and seemed like a good horse, well the next day, having only a little experience with horses, decided to saddle him up and jump on.
The next thing I know he's bucking like crazy, I mean he didn't seem to like the saddle but I thought well ....yesterday he did fine...anyway I ended up being thrown on the ground landing on my tailbone, blacked out crawling up to the house and had to go to the hospital-bruised my tailbone and had 6 vertebrea out of place and some rotated. I go to the chiropractor every now and then because of that. We think he was drugged the day of the auction, because he never acted that calm again. He was barely green broke.
I have definately learned from that mistake, I am much more cautios at auctions and know more about horses now..
Sorry the story was so long....
Excited to hear all of yours!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
our lil family
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

where to start?

I know a lot of people think you are a bad rider if you fall off, I also know tons that think you aren't a true rider until you fall off. I personally believe if you fall you human and it means your learning!!! Not that your a bad rider.

OK here we go
I was testing riding my horse Jewels before I baught her, I was about 12yrs old and she was 10yrs old. She can come off the track about 5 or 6 years ago. I had no saddle of my own and no bridel. The owners didn't bring their saddle and left her bridel at home. I rode and jumped bearback at the time so I got on her and walked her around, troted. Then Since I was so use to mellow easy going schooling horses I asked her to canter. The race horse in her came out, She took off and I feel off. I hit my head and when I looked over at mom and was writing a check to her owners so we could buy her. (she wont buy me a horse unless it gives me a heck of a time lol) I ended up having a head ace for two days.

Artax - He's an Arab cross and I'm not too wild about them because they tend to be hot headed like TBs but mom baught him while I was at school to train for her. So We had trained him for a while and he liked to buck. Well one day I was out on a trail ride with my friend and she was on my other horse D, I asked Artax to canter but leaned forward (like an idiot) and he bucked I came off and all I remember is sitting up and thinking "I have to catch Artax" I went to the hospital and was fine.

7yrs old - I was on a tempermental horse because knowone else wanted to ride him. He liked to run into the middle of the arena. So I had a tight rein on him, He was doing really well so I let up on my rein and he bolted into the middle. My leg got caught on the area fence and I twised my whole leg back. I was crying when I got back to my mom and my trainer. I was at the other end of the arena so knowone saw what happend. Mom thought I was just scared because he bolted into the middle. Well about an hour and a 1/2 later my WHOLE leg had swelled up over my boot (the tall black type). We raced to the hospital where they cut the boot off me and I tore every ligament from my ankel to my hip. I had to stop riding for 3 years :'(.

Last one I swear lol

Jewels- I was warming up for my riding lesson at about 3'6" (jumping) and some idiot decided to turn on a jack hamer while I was riding. It wasn't too close but Jewels didn't like it. I kept riding her because I wanted her to focus on me not the jack hammer. She would keep cutting the corner of the arena where the jack hammer was so I dug my heel into her to get her to move over because I was done asking her to move. She reared up and feel onto her side, and I feel off her back. My dad didn't want me to get back on, but like every other time I've come off. I got back on and made her got past that corner till she acted as if the hammer wasn't even there (my trainer was PISSED with the jackhammer guy)

All of these were about 2 years ago, Also KUTOS for you if you read all that LOL. I have a few more but I wont make this a book lol.

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Will It Ever Change?

my mom had a horse when i was a toddler (yes i remembre some of it). my mom rented a stall at a local farm just outside town. the girl that owned the place, Toni, she was once bitten by a horse, in the boob. my mom said her breast was purple and swollen and she had to go to the hospital. apparently that horse was just a biter, so next time they boiled a potato, put a towel under her shirt then the potato (still hot) on the towel. my mom says the horse bit the boiled potato (disguised as a shoulder lol) and then the horse never bit again (got burned i guess). now, i'm not sure what my opinion on that is, but exactly how else would you teach a horse not to bite? lol cause it can do DAMAGE!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

That is funny, I never would have thought of the potato thing, my brother had a horse bite through his winter coat a few years ago and the coat was destroyed..they are pretty powerful.

Don't worry uMgaziRatRescue, you can tell as many stories as you want, you seem like a very brave person, I think when my leg swelled up over the boot I probably would have been scared to death! lol, but seriously.

Keep 'em comin!! I can probably tell some more, but I won't hog the whole thread up since I started it. lol

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

The potato thing works, I've gotten pretty good at getting it the temp where it wont make them bite again but also wont hurt them. Another thing for a biting horse is a VERY firm no and give em a smack where ever you can. Just try not to hit their face because then they will become face shy. I would only use the potato thing if the horse bites on purpose.

I have a few other fall storys but they aren't that great lol, I was swimming with my horse (the water came up to the middle of his neck!!! lot of fun!) and I was trying to get back on him and he reared up. I just came off into the water lol. I LOVE it when horses rear up.
Tiff&Jerry - Thnx I might be a brave person i'm not sure lol I just love to ride horses and .... hmmm (doing math one sec lol) I've been riding... 14 years now . I can't get over how much fun it is. I'm training my 3yr old Belgium at the moment . Great great fun .

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Playful Pup

I started riding horses just for the fun back in July 2006. Well this winter we went to Bob and Sarah's house (thats were I go for riding) and I saddled up Babe and was confident enough to take her to their first pastur which has a aluminum garage thing for the horses since they don't have the barn yet. Well I started her in a walk and then I wanted her to trot but she got a little wild when we got the the garage thing because she heard Bell (her horse friend) calling her and she wanted to go with her. Well the thing was that she walked a little to fast and walked through the space that is on the side of the wall and with me on her back tried to walk through it. I don't know about you'll but that thing is not that high up for me and a horse to walk through it. I crashed into the thing and the good thing was that somehow I manage to bend all the way back and pass through the top of the thing. I was still suprised that I did not fall of off Babe and broken my back! I got a little nervous and decided to take her back to the round pen. When I went inside the house I asked them if they had seen what had happend and they said no....whew I got lucky nobody saw me...but I laughed at it and Sarah said that she wish she had had her camera because she could have taken a picture and made me a card for my birthday saying that I had crashed on the garage thing. I still laugh at it but considered my self lucky because I could have probably hurt my self kind of bad. Oh and by the way Babe is about 20 yrs old.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

That is scary, so you could have been decapitated? Wow, I havent been in something that scary. I have had a few other incidents like when I was riding my brothers pony bareback, he had just brushed him and put some shine spray on her, and this is a fat 12 hand pony...not too big compared to the ones I have, I slipped right off..it was embarrassing...

and about the same time-its more like a bad story for the pony. My bro wanted to ride his pony (he was about 8 at the time) and he must not have cinched her up all the way because she spooked he got off and she took off running and bucking, the saddle went completely under her.(she didn't get hurt) We had to chase her through 7 acres of woods (we had awesome trails at the time). We eventually caught her.

Anyone ever had a lazy horse that would roll on ya...maybe its more like disrespectful. I had 2 that would do that. The one would just lay down and thrash your side, I was unsuspecting of it once and she got my leg tangled pretty bad(an appaloosa/rocky mountain horse). This was when I first started riding so I didn't really know what was going on.

Ok Sorry...enough of my stories I really don't have anymore bad stories.

Your guy's stories are very interesting! I can't wait to hear more.

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Lightbulb

I've been around horses for 28 years. I've been bit, kicked, stomped, clotheslined, bucked off, fallen off (ended up with 26 stitches), had the horse slip and fall on me while cantering, been knocked down in water and almost had my head stepped on, numerous cuts and bruises, had a run away pony gallop right on top of my foot...the list goes on and on. I guess I'm just a glutten for punishment.

Rhonda

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Okies hehe new story that happend yesterday, i was jumping some higher jumps with D, I thought he was going to stop so I sat back and he jumped, so I was already too fare forward coming down, i hit my face on his neck and my nose started bleeding. I'm fine but it hurt so I took him over the jump 3 more times till he wasn't so stoppy over the jump then I put him back. he still has a small blood stain on his neck from my nose (I didn't know I was bleeding).

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

U are so funny Umgaziratrescue!(funny as in you just kept going! your a TRUE horse gal!) Your stories are so interesting, I wish I rode that much, I just need to just jump on Ricky and go ride some more. I need to find some trails at my new house, have no land. I just went riding today and sorry had no accidents he was just a little frisky, now he is starting to rear when he is excited, so I am going to get the tie down out before I have to put a new horror story of mine on here! lol

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

lol well thnx!!! I have to thank my old trainer for that because she was hard on us and that what I need lol, I wont listen unless I have someone whos strickt hehe. when I walked inside and mom saw my nose she said "what happend?" Me:"I was being stupid" Mom: "I know that, how did it happen?" LOL!!! she's so mean lol.
I might be taking a video of me and D tonight so i'll post it if I do

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, I would like to see that video! Your horse sounds like a really good riding horse.

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Here is a scary horse accident I have found on the internet to add to this thread....

Video of a Head on collision at a horse race
Funny and Extreme Videos - Horse Race Accident - Funny Video Clip - KillSomeTime.com

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Playful Pup

I have kinda a horror story. A couple (maybe longer) years ago my sister was riding on another couple's horse. The man was leading the horse but the horse got spooked by a nearby noise-maker that makes noise when the wind blows through the noise-maker. (It has a name but i can't think of it) Anyway, the horse reared, and my sister fell off, . She was fine just had little scratches on her head. Thank God! But she said she will never get a on a horse again. I don't think that is true.

~Zoegirl has posted.
2 Corinthians 12:10
"...for when I am weak, then am I strong."

I
my pets!

Zoe~long-haired daschund

Ruby~short-haired daschund

Peanut Butter~teddy bear hamster
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm glad she's ok!!! My dad found this video and sent it to me. He told me not to invite him when I get enough money to show this level LOL I think you'll see why... I can't wait to show higher!!

YouTube - Horse Race Accident

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance